Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bandit Builder Template 1.0 (For Modders)  (Read 2467 times)

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bandit Builder Template 1.0 (For Modders)
« on: January 28, 2019, 11:30:22 pm »

Rather than being a conventional mod, these files will essentially serve as a proof-of-concept template to demonstrate the potential of a certain type of creature one can create. Essentially, through the clever use of descriptors and custom body parts, one can create societies of intelligent savage species armed with various weapons and have them spawn within the game, adding a new level of difficulty to the world along with making it seem more alive (at least until toady adds actual savages and nomads hahaha). In addition, those making specific scenario or setting mods can reverse-engineer the template I have provided into a new variation that suits your needs. You could create bands of cultists armed with daggers and dead-raising priests, or club-wielding and stone throwing giants in the plains. Here's an overview of what I have created, to serve as an example of the potential of this mechanic.

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14214

The example species is the Wildman, a primitive variation of human that wears fur pelts and uses face paint, which will both show up in its generated descriptions. Hunters will carry copper spears, Slingers carry slings that can throw lead slingstones, berserkers carry a pair of axes and have increased skill in their use, champions wear iron armor and carry a sword, and shamans carry bronze staffs that can summon fireballs. All of these types exist within the same species but at different ratios. For example, 60 out of 100 wildmen will be hunters, and 1 in 100 will be shamans. In addition, they have a high population (as many as 100) but only a 2 percent chance to spawn. But when they do, they can appear in massive numbers. They will appear in any temperate savage forest and could easily be a major early game threat comparable to werebeasts due to their metal weapons. Effectively, its like being subjected to a small invasion. And last but not least, these creatures should be able to be captured in cages and tamed (enslaved) by the player and in world gen, meaning not only will invaders have the chance to show up with wildman thralls, but the player ought to be able to use them as well. Because they have the [CAN_LEARN] and [SLOW_LEARNER] tags, they can help haul things and learn to fight better, but cannot be butchered for meat (you can change this by removing these tags from the creature). In addition, I have removed the [EQUIPS] tag because it would interfere with their "natural" armor and clothing.

In summary, this technique can be used to create mid to high level bands of roving enemies that can simulate the feeling of nomadic clans, bandit tribes, or marauding hordes. It is somewhat janky from a roleplay perspective as you cannot actually interact with or play as creatures of this nature, only kill or enslave them. However, from a pure gameplay perspective I feel it can create a respectable threat even to late game fortresses depending on the creatures created.

Anyone may use the wildmen themselves in their own mods, and I encourage anyone who takes a look at this technique to devise their own unique enemies. I have tried to create a great many subtypes so that the way they are created can be understood (knight, wizard, footsoldier, veteran, archer) and expanded upon. Hopefully someone finds it to be of use.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

GM-X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AdventRPG.com
Re: Bandit Builder Template 1.0 (For Modders)
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 01:20:33 am »

Rather than being a conventional mod, these files will essentially serve as a proof-of-concept template to demonstrate the potential of a certain type of creature one can create. Essentially, through the clever use of descriptors and custom body parts, one can create societies of intelligent savage species armed with various weapons and have them spawn within the game, adding a new level of difficulty to the world along with making it seem more alive (at least until toady adds actual savages and nomads hahaha). In addition, those making specific scenario or setting mods can reverse-engineer the template I have provided into a new variation that suits your needs. You could create bands of cultists armed with daggers and dead-raising priests, or club-wielding and stone throwing giants in the plains.

I second the motion. I like this idea and I would like to help. It helps answer my ever burning question:

How can I scare players even more?
Dark Ages IV: DF & Skyrim mods + Survival Sims 
http://AdventRPG.com/

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 02:03:02 am »

Rather than being a conventional mod, these files will essentially serve as a proof-of-concept template to demonstrate the potential of a certain type of creature one can create. Essentially, through the clever use of descriptors and custom body parts, one can create societies of intelligent savage species armed with various weapons and have them spawn within the game, adding a new level of difficulty to the world along with making it seem more alive (at least until toady adds actual savages and nomads hahaha). In addition, those making specific scenario or setting mods can reverse-engineer the template I have provided into a new variation that suits your needs. You could create bands of cultists armed with daggers and dead-raising priests, or club-wielding and stone throwing giants in the plains.

I second the motion. I like this idea and I would like to help. It helps answer my ever burning question:

How can I scare players even more?

If you wanna help just take a look at the wildman raws to figure out how this technique is done and then add your own spin to it as the concept evolves.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 08:42:13 pm »

I think I have just the use for this.

Levity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 12:47:53 pm »

I'm assuming people give non-entity creatures weapons via body-parts and attacks? (That's what I've been doing)

There's also a bug in the game atm where [CAN_LEARN][CAN_SPEAK][INTELLIGENT] creatures also with [LARGE_PREDATOR], are not hostile. That might throw a spanner in the works.

Or the bug might just apply to trolls. I had it in my last fortress. Not sure.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 12:49:56 pm by Levity »

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 02:24:01 pm »

I'm assuming people give non-entity creatures weapons via body-parts and attacks? (That's what I've been doing)

There's also a bug in the game atm where [CAN_LEARN][CAN_SPEAK][INTELLIGENT] creatures also with [LARGE_PREDATOR], are not hostile. That might throw a spanner in the works.

Or the bug might just apply to trolls. I had it in my last fortress. Not sure.

I think the bug you mentioned can be circumvented by using the OPPOSED_TO_LIFE tag