Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Errant Space - Adventures in a turbulent galaxy (OOC)  (Read 9839 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Errant Space - Adventures in a turbulent galaxy (SIGNUPS AND OOC)
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2017, 10:49:26 pm »

As a Rtalis, your character will likely have a personal vehicle for traversing pedestrian areas, so they'll have different capabilities when inside that. Rtalis are generally uncomfortable when having to deal with gravity without water to support them.

I should probably make a doc with additional info about established races if anyone chooses to play them.

Don't they also sometimes have a pressure-suit? Don't think they can walk, though.

Yeah, but its a big hassle to work out all the details for that. Plus, I think I did my points wrong. Soooo, I'm going to think of a better character.
Pressure suit is just using your own stats, nothing to figure out there. As for the vehicle, you could think of it more like power armor if you want, it's just the way the Rtalis have found to comfortably navigate the spaces used by land-dwelling creatures. You don't necessarily have to have a personal vehicle if you don't want, but you'd have a lot of options in choosing one. And there's also the option of being air support, even without a mini-vehicle.

Also note that while Rtalis are uncomfortable on land, going around in a wetsuit in Zero-G would almost be like swimming through air.

Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2017, 11:31:50 pm »

Hey Hugo, what's the stance on AI power levels/ in the setting? I'm thinking of writing a character from a colony where everyone gets an upload at birth, linked to one big megaprocessor. But since the processing power is split between millions of virtual inhabitants the computer never ends of giving too much power to any one consciousness... until a great purge wipes them all out and replaces them with a handful of hyper-consciousnesses who end up learning Augury and creating a mini illusory reality that traps the human occupants.

It's just an idea for a backstory, so I'll pick something else if it's too disruptive for the setting.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 11:45:55 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2017, 11:34:34 pm »

PTW
Black lives matter.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2017, 06:50:16 pm »

Hey Hugo, what's the stance on AI power levels/ in the setting? I'm thinking of writing a character from a colony where everyone gets an upload at birth, linked to one big megaprocessor. But since the processing power is split between millions of virtual inhabitants the computer never ends of giving too much power to any one consciousness... until a great purge wipes them all out and replaces them with a handful of hyper-consciousnesses who end up learning Augury and creating a mini illusory reality that traps the human occupants.

It's just an idea for a backstory, so I'll pick something else if it's too disruptive for the setting.
So they get a backup on the colony's big computer? Or are they living in VR? Is this a different character from the backstory you posted earlier?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2017, 09:02:35 pm »

Eh, I discarded the idea since it was too cumbersome. The idea was that the uploads are hosted on the station's big computer and they receive sense information from the human they accompany, so all humans get a AI's that think exactly like them. This negates the issue of AI's acting on their own, because it's a copy of the same person.

I basically had 3 questions:

1) Can AI's have human-level intelligence?
2) Is it possible to create an AI copy of a person?
3) Can sufficiently powerful AI's use Augury?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2017, 09:22:30 pm »

1) Yes. Part of the "Family" of Earthlings are the various AI constructs they've created.
2) Yes. Tricky though, but it could be done with a high level of fidelity if someone's brain was hooked up to a system suitable for that purpose.
3) Yes. Though like everyone else they'd have to figure out how to connect to the Mindweave on their own. Having a lot of processing power wouldn't automatically let you Mindweave, it'd just be useful once you managed to attune yourself.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2017, 11:04:53 pm »

Alright, cool. I think I'm sticking with the current character though, unless I get a sudden burst of inspiration from something. *Starts voraciously consuming anime*

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2017, 11:52:23 pm »

Well this seems interesting. Working on a character.

EDIT: Here it is.

Spoiler: Description (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 12:52:11 am by HighEndNoob »
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

armach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2017, 05:55:28 am »

I think I'm gonna go for a combat focused character.
Spoiler: Character Info (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 02:19:59 pm by armach »

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2017, 08:32:40 am »

Spoiler: Char. (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sketch (click to show/hide)

Here's my application; some sections slightly work-in-progress.
EDIT - fairly major changes to (later) bio.
EDIT 2 - fairly minor changes to appearance and crime sections; slight modification of defence/armour balance.
EDIT 3 - the word 'sentance' removed from final sentance in bio. 'Work in progress' warning struck through; I think I'm pretty much finished.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 02:17:30 pm by TopHat »
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2017, 11:26:47 am »

Unfortunately, with crimes like that there's no way SolFed would let him go.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2017, 01:50:08 pm »

So grievous political crimes are out of the question?

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2017, 02:10:16 pm »

I had a feeling that might be a problem, but couldn't really think of much else that'd have him end up in a civilian prison as opposed to a military one.
Though come to think of it looting might work. Or a spot of post-war piracy. Hmm...
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2017, 02:25:57 pm »

So grievous political crimes are out of the question?
Might be some room, but threats to Federal security probably won't get parole.

I had a feeling that might be a problem, but couldn't really think of much else that'd have him end up in a civilian prison as opposed to a military one.
Though come to think of it looting might work. Or a spot of post-war piracy. Hmm...
That would work.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2017, 02:39:49 pm »

I think I'll stick with my original character, I'll update my stats, but they're going to be fairly similar.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7