Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Giving materials a fixed temperature?  (Read 906 times)

VolcanoQueen

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably a robot or something.
    • View Profile
Giving materials a fixed temperature?
« on: July 22, 2017, 11:29:51 pm »

I kind of want to add enchanted items/materials (and magic in general) into my game. I know that there are mods out there that I could use, but I want to try and do this myself to try and get better at modding. I want dorfs/elves/etc. to be able to enchant regular vanilla materials to, for example, give the material a fixed temperature. Does anyone have advice on how to do this?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Giving materials a fixed temperature?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 05:24:45 am »

it's going to have to be on an entirely new material with MAT_FIXED_TEMP added, which you would then produce in an interaction

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 11:04:16 pm »

it's going to have to be on an entirely new material with MAT_FIXED_TEMP added, which you would then produce in an interaction

Nope, that doesn't work. Even if you set it to 50000, even if you drop it on grass, it does nothing.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 04:04:01 pm »

MAT_FIXED_TEMP only works on new items created after the tag was added to the material. Obviously I don't know if you started a new for after making changes orif you tweaked the material on an existing fort, but this issue has bitten people before...

Also MAT_FIXED_TEMP is kinda weird, so it may just not be transmitting heat properly...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 06:18:18 pm »

It is worth noting that a material temp of 50000 will melt quite nearly anything that holds it.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 09:35:12 pm »

It is worth noting that a material temp of 50000 will melt quite nearly anything that holds it.

This is why I made it for my draconian race. It *does* work in corner cases, like if you take a dip in water, it'll occassionally make bursts of steam.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 02:31:21 pm »

This is why I made it for my draconian race. It *does* work in corner cases, like if you take a dip in water, it'll occassionally make bursts of steam.

Make a human hold it, see if he melts. If he does, its some kind of problem with transferring the temp to terrain/grass/trees etc.

Alternatively, test it by lodging it INTO a human, see if he catches fire.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 08:12:27 pm »

There was grass there... it caught fire after the test subject started to ignite. Then I got the idea to scoop them up into my axe with my modded advfort setup to see if they would be hurt by it while inside the container, they seemed to be holding out fine so I made another dwarf to have them grab the multi-dwarf-containing-axe which weighed like 940 Urists so my speed hit 0.099 and this happened:

^Those three were inside of the axe I just picked up which had fixed temp:50000 urists.

Upon scooping her up into another item I was left with this:

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 08:21:36 pm »

Make a human hold it, see if he melts. If he does, its some kind of problem with transferring the temp to terrain/grass/trees etc.

Alternatively, test it by lodging it INTO a human, see if he catches fire.

I tried. Refuses to work. http://imgur.com/a/iMSyj

EDIT: If you press ctrl+a after the human has the sword, then assume control again, you're on fire. Huh.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 08:52:12 pm by KittyTac »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 08:55:21 pm »

Incidentally, I stuck those 50k urist blood thorn axes into dwarves and let go so they stayed there, then walked off and waited, sure enough the dorf caught on fire, and of course I got the whole telebloodburst bug as a fun side effect.