Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Game Gripes -- things that annoy you about LCS  (Read 35596 times)

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
Game Gripes -- things that annoy you about LCS
« on: July 23, 2017, 10:38:01 pm »

I love LCS, but I've been finding more and more things that frustrate me about the game, or updates that have removed something I quite enjoyed. I'm curious to the little annoyances of other players, too.

My biggest complaint has to be the removal of a ton of procedural generation. Sure, the maps were not very good, but it removed a great deal of strategy for me. What was once case the joint out > kidnap a fitting subject > interrogate them until they break or die > steal or create disguises > carefully plot my entry and exit, praying to Liberal Jesus that I'm not caught > carefully go by my exit route and escape, turned into make disguise > win.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 10:42:53 pm by George_Chickens »
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Taberone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Game Gripes -- things that annoy you about LCS
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 03:22:02 pm »

1)Car crash victims teleporting to safe houses - A bug that will never get fixed.

2)The whole "Liberal Weapons causing instant alerts" system - Pure tediousness, you have to holster weapons every time.

3)Car chases prior to updates allowing you to dodge in vehicles - FOUR vehicles with SIX conservatives each almost every time you get into a car chase? If you can't escape, it's a total party kill every single time.

4)Lack of "stealth" options for CCS Safehouses other than the Bar and Grill - Even if you stealth kill the guards somehow, you still gotta bust open the door and fight an overpowered CCS Boss. Even with a full squad, M16's, and high Rifle skill, someone will die.

5)Automatic targeting system and no option for manual targeting - Liberals do not leave Badly Wounded targets alone, even though being Badly Wounded prevents you from attacking. This results in shit like 4 Liberals blasting the crap out of a single SWAT Officer and leaving his buddy free to kill a Liberal. This is really bad at the Army Base, when your Liberals can do enough damage to cripple a tank in a single turn. Despite the tank being crippled, Liberals still shoot at it and let the other pissed-off soldiers gun them down.

6)Mistakenly attacking innocents. Pure RNG fucking you over, even at high skill. It can even happen while stealth killing, meaning that your Liberal will start backstabbing Conservatives left and right before suddenly stabbing a poor hobo in the face.

7)No ability to set combat to "less-than-lethal", as in "only shoot Conservatives in the limbs". Limb shots never kill in LCS unless they bleed to death.

8)Nerfing the "shoot up the police station to avoid raids" strategy. Now I get raided even with the police station shut down, and sieges keep messing up my squad order and which vehicles are being used by my squad. Sieges are tedious because I have to re-organize every time.

9)Lack of raids from non-police and non-CCS. The cops and CCS are the only ones who raid me. I never get raided by corporations, rednecks, or even the CIA, even with sky-high heat.

10)RNG + Datenapping. How the hell does someone in Heavy Armor with a M249 get punched out while datenaping? And why do they never kidnap with other Liberals?

11)Wasted potential with the CCS Safehouses. The CCS Bunker has an unused alternate entrance. Why not have the CCS Boss make a run for the alternate entrance (or in this case, his escape route) and potentially escape if you're too slow to catch him? Instead, CCS Boss stays and gets curbstomped by six OP Liberals.

12)Skill grinding. Even with the Skill Progression set to "Fast", it doesn't affect all skills. You'll still have to drop several dozen or so pickup lines to boost Seduction each day, for example.

13)No individual reloading outside of combat. Entire squad will reload, even if the only guy that needs to reload is using Molotov Cocktails or a Revolver and the rest of the squad has M249's. Auto-reload only happens in the middle of combat, which is suicidal.

14)Assault Rifles are the only guns that matter. Assault Rifles are king in vanilla LCS, killing armored and unarmored Conservatives just fine. Pistols will pretty much bounce off of body armor most of the time, and melee weapons like knives don't do anything, even though Kevlar doesn't protect against knife attacks in reality.

15)SMGs. Useless, have their own dedicated skill, and the magazine size is 15 rounds for some dumb reason. Magazine size should be 30 rounds like the real MP5, damn it.

16)No control is given to you when Liberals get busted prostituting. Unlike getting caught selling drugs or graffiting, your Liberals just get arrested every time with no option to run or fight.

17)Targets being too dangerous to kidnap with no factors being considered other than a "Protects Against Kidnapping" attribute in the code. I've got a M249 and Heavy Armor. This fucking Lab Tech has a wimpy syringe. Yet I can't kidnap him.

18)Compiling the game. Massively frustrating and always fails for me. Thankfully, there are .exe versions instead that require no compiling, but then I'm slightly behind on updates and can't modify any of the hardcoded stuff.

19)Disappointing C+ Gun Control. Average joes with PISTOLS and Security Guards with SMGs are the worst that you'll get at C+. Instead of, I don't know, average joes with SMGs and Shotguns and Security Guards with Machineguns. Where is my second amendment taken to the extreme? Feels like Arch-Conservative Gun Control should actually be just Conservative Gun Control.

There's more gripes about LCS, but I can't remember all of them at the moment.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 03:44:24 pm by Taberone »

IsaacG

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Engineer
    • View Profile
    • JJoseph on Deviantart
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 08:47:23 pm »

1)Car crash victims teleporting to safe houses - A bug that will never get fixed.
I feel a  little bit more guilty every time you mention that. ;D
5)Automatic targeting system and no option for manual targeting - Liberals do not leave Badly Wounded targets alone, even though being Badly Wounded prevents you from attacking. This results in shit like 4 Liberals blasting the crap out of a single SWAT Officer and leaving his buddy free to kill a Liberal. This is really bad at the Army Base, when your Liberals can do enough damage to cripple a tank in a single turn. Despite the tank being crippled, Liberals still shoot at it and let the other pissed-off soldiers gun them down.
I think I know how to fix this one.
18)Compiling the game. Massively frustrating and always fails for me. Thankfully, there are .exe versions instead that require no compiling, but then I'm slightly behind on updates and can't modify any of the hardcoded stuff.
There's no fixing that except a complete rewrite.
There's more gripes about LCS, but I can't remember all of them at the moment.
I'm impressed as is, you have a better knowledge of the game than I do.
20) Secret Servicemen see through disguises.  The ability to see through disguises is hard coded by creature, meaning any custom creature can only have minimal ability to see through disguises without hardcoding that as well.

I might not have yet fixed any of the issues others have brought to my attention, but I am definitely keeping track.
LCS 4.12 Thread
https://discord.gg/HYbss8eswM
Many people, meeting Aziraphale for the first time, formed three impressions: that he was English, that he was intelligent, and that he was gayer than a tree full of monkeys on nitrous oxide.
Constitution of the Confederate States
Article I Sec. 9 4
No bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law denying or impairing the right of property in negro slaves shall be passe

Taberone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 10:28:24 pm »

I'm impressed as is, you have a better knowledge of the game than I do.
20) Secret Servicemen see through disguises.  The ability to see through disguises is hard coded by creature, meaning any custom creature can only have minimal ability to see through disguises without hardcoding that as well.

I might not have yet fixed any of the issues others have brought to my attention, but I am definitely keeping track.
Used to be really obsessed with the game to the point where I would literally go through the code on Github and do nothing but read it, and if I wasn't looking at the source code for fun I'd be playing or modding LCS 24/7. That phase has unfortunately been over for a while.

TinFoilTopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 02:20:55 pm »

14)Assault Rifles are the only guns that matter. Assault Rifles are king in vanilla LCS, killing armored and unarmored Conservatives just fine. Pistols will pretty much bounce off of body armor most of the time, and melee weapons like knives don't do anything, even though Kevlar doesn't protect against knife attacks in reality.

M249s are THE SHIT though, a squad of six people with high heavy weapons skill and M249s can easily go toe to toe with six navy seals, and will fully destroy a tank in one turn. Plus, it's easier to get a squad with high strength than high agility, because with augmentations, you can add 7 base strength to all of your Liberals and make them tanks

Taberone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 07:12:35 pm »

M249s are THE SHIT though, a squad of six people with high heavy weapons skill and M249s can easily go toe to toe with six navy seals, and will fully destroy a tank in one turn. Plus, it's easier to get a squad with high strength than high agility, because with augmentations, you can add 7 base strength to all of your Liberals and make them tanks

m249s are far too rare in vanilla LCS, since you can only get them once from armories and gun control has to be C+ for you to start buying them from the department store. Assault rifles are plentiful and you can easily get more ammo by killing soldiers.

I've also got more gripes with LCS I remembered. Thanks for reminding me about the Secret Service seeing through disguises too, Isaac. That was the most bullshit thing about being stealthy in the white house, too.

22) Shutting down locations. You can't go there again for a while no matter what, and arrested Liberals can still go to trial even though the courthouse was shut down for several weeks because you went on a killing spree and slaughtered several hundred cops.

23) Almost no reason to get arrested - you get one turn to surrender, but that one turn is better spent trying to shoot the cops, bluff, or sneak past. If that one turn passes, you won't be able to surrender. Shooting the cops? I can see why you can't surrender. Trying to bluff a cop, getting blasted to near death, and still not being able to surrender? Weird.

24) Really trigger happy cops, even at L+. Failing to bluff a cop, failing to sneak by a cop, choosing to WAIT in front of a cop, trying to run away from the cops after getting caught dealing drugs? You get shot dead. Apparently, the United States never had a Fleeing Felon Rule at all. Instead of just blowing away your Liberals, why not have the cops be able to arrest in more situations? They can already insta-arrest the entire squad if they try to fight the cops while Badly Wounded ("The Police subdue and arrest the squad."), yet an unarmed liberal trying to run away or sitting there doing nothing gets a bullet between the eyes.

25) Police Negotiators turning Liberals into Conservatives. They're moderates. Shouldn't they turn Liberals moderate?

26) Inability to repair clothes in bulk. You can make Liberals do certain activities in bulk like illegal fundraising, but you can't make them all repair clothes in bulk. Any liberal can repair clothes.

27) Inability to sell damaged clothes. After raiding a location and murdering several hundred Conservatives, I end up with a ton of damaged clothes and armor cluttering my base inventory since I can't get rid of em. Why can't I just donate them to Goodwill or something?

28) Wasted potential with Computer and Writing skill. I can't have my Liberals skilled in Writing write and sell novels or something. Computer skill is primarily for illegal stuff like hacking (which got nerfed to get you raided fairly quickly IIRC) or fraud. No such thing as startling a Liberal Crime Squad blog on Tumblr or something and spreading the word, and no such thing as Liberals writing articles online on Cracked or something and getting paid for them.

29) Tediousness with the interface. No "assign all clips to liberal" (less keypresses rather than selecting the clip and then entering in the number "9" for 9 Assault Rifle Clips and then picking a Liberal) or "add/remove all liberals from vehicle" button.

30) Wasted potential with the CCS, too. The CCS can only ever do violence. The CCS will never make a Conservative Guardian to spread their own propaganda and fake news.

31) Broken "No Reply" option with hostages. You can only trade the hostage for freedom or execute the hostage. "No Reply" should just take you back to the encounter screen or something.

32) Overpowered violence. Four-plus straight years of left-wing terrorism and constantly causing nuclear meltdowns will unite the country, never balkanizing or dividing it. Martial Law will never be declared or anything, and the country will chug along just fine. Constant violence could maybe destabilize the country and result in copycat groups in the vein of the LCS popping up.

33) Juice. The best and most reliable way to get Juice is to murder a bunch of Conservatives, levelling you up FAST. Going pacifist? Got a violent army of terrorists but your Founder is mostly crime-free so that if you get arrested somehow, he's not getting executed? Have fun being stuck with low juice, since there is no cap to juice that can be earned while murdering conservatives. Meanwhile, actions like Liberal Disobedience will only get you so far.

34) Limited university skills. Not all skills can be learned at university (Terra Vitae mod fixes this IIRC), like learning Stealth, Seduction, Persuasion, etc. Maybe expand what you can learn at University, or add in an illegal, underground place that offers to teach them?

35) Lack of harassment while moving to a site. Six guys in Heavy Armor and M249's driving an obviously stolen police car around will attract no attention at all. They don't even have driver's licenses, probably.

36) The fact that you're going to see a lot of people gasping a last breath and soiling the floor in a violent playthrough of LCS (Why does almost everyone go into battle with their bowels full, given how many of them soil the floor when they die? "X gasps a last breath and soils the floor" happens a lot.), but never anyone gasping a last breath and pissing the floor. This one is a bit more minor (and I guess OCD).

37) Not sure if it counts as gameplay since it's more about development, but the fact that the Stalinist Comrade Squad will never be getting finished since the LCS community now is a shadow of what it once was. Liberal Elitist (I think he was one of the main guys working on the SCS) is gone and has been gone for a while now. Better dead than red, and I would have loved to fight some commies.

38) Lack of weapon variety for enemies. Deathsquad Officers only use M16's, for example. Thankfully, however, what weapons most conservatives can use can be edited in the "creatures.xml" file under the Art folder. That's one primary reason why I made Liberal Additions.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 07:14:10 pm by Taberone »

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 08:17:28 pm »

I am going to watch this thread. I have not updated the Terra Vitae mod to the newer features of vanila LCS because I've been focusing on adding the new features that I want, although for these the end is in sight. Once all of that is done, maybe it will be time to address some of these!

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 10:41:43 pm »

One other thing that bothers me is the judicial nerf. It had to happen, but having the jury full of LCS sleepers, a master lawyer who could weasel his way from the grim reaper, and a corrupted judge but STILL getting executed/life sentenced just feels wrong. You'd think some evidence would be misplaced and the trial continued for as long as they can, at least.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 05:29:26 am »

28) Wasted potential with Computer and Writing skill. I can't have my Liberals skilled in Writing write and sell novels or something. Computer skill is primarily for illegal stuff like hacking (which got nerfed to get you raided fairly quickly IIRC) or fraud. No such thing as startling a Liberal Crime Squad blog on Tumblr or something and spreading the word, and no such thing as Liberals writing articles online on Cracked or something and getting paid for them.

There's a dummied out activity about blogging.

One other thing that bothers me is the judicial nerf. It had to happen, but having the jury full of LCS sleepers, a master lawyer who could weasel his way from the grim reaper, and a corrupted judge but STILL getting executed/life sentenced just feels wrong. You'd think some evidence would be misplaced and the trial continued for as long as they can, at least.

I agree the judiciary side, while already good-ish, could be improved; a commenter suggested including police interrogations and another wanted to include appeals.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 06:42:12 am »

I think a cool feature for the judicial system would be having your members in a highly liberal judicial system be kindly spoken to with happy words and realize that they're fighting against a system they support, whereas in a C+ one they'd be subject to a sort of salem witch trial or legally sanctioned lynching where the intent is to force out a confession for a quick execution, not to uphold the law. Having no programming skills, I can only dream. Maybe that last one would be better suited for the Stalinists.

Another gripe of mine (jeez, most of my posts about this wonderful game are just complaining about it!) is that the game progressively gets easier, too. I suppose the CCS is meant to offset this, but I find them quite easy to kill once you find the right people.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 10:35:13 am »

I think a cool feature for the judicial system would be having your members in a highly liberal judicial system be kindly spoken to with happy words and realize that they're fighting against a system they support, whereas in a C+ one they'd be subject to a sort of salem witch trial or legally sanctioned lynching where the intent is to force out a confession for a quick execution, not to uphold the law. Having no programming skills, I can only dream. Maybe that last one would be better suited for the Stalinists.

I could try, in the future, to code this, when I will have enough time.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Taberone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 10:50:00 am »

32) Overpowered violence. Four-plus straight years of left-wing terrorism and constantly causing nuclear meltdowns will unite the country, never balkanizing or dividing it. Martial Law will never be declared or anything, and the country will chug along just fine. Constant violence could maybe destabilize the country and result in copycat groups in the vein of the LCS popping up.
Code: (Monthly.cpp) [Select]
case ENDGAME_CCS_DEFEATED:
      //if(publicmood(-1)>85&&presparty!=LIBERAL_PARTY)
      //   endgamestate=ENDGAME_MARTIALLAW;
 break;
   }
Code: (incldues.h) [Select]
enum endgame
{
   ENDGAME_NONE,
   ENDGAME_CCS_APPEARANCE,
   ENDGAME_CCS_ATTACKS,
   ENDGAME_CCS_SIEGES,
   ENDGAME_CCS_DEFEATED,
   ENDGAME_MARTIALLAW,
   ENDGAMENUM
};

Interesting and coincidental find on Github today. There are two places in the source code on Github where you can find a reference to something called ENDGAME_MARTIALLAW. Wasn't there a proposed "ending" to LCS many years ago where the military gets pissed off and tries to perform a coup? I would have loved to see that. Someone put this on The Cutting Room Floor's page for Liberal Crime Squad.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 11:13:13 am by Taberone »

IsaacG

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Engineer
    • View Profile
    • JJoseph on Deviantart
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2017, 10:59:18 am »

FIXED! LCS v4.12.1
https://www.mediafire.com/?80905657wxjg4od

And for those who want to apply the fix to their own fork instead of downloading mine:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/b545o79aysbljst/HOWTO_FIX_CAR_BUG.zip

Now to get started on the others.
LCS 4.12 Thread
Many people, meeting Aziraphale for the first time, formed three impressions: that he was English, that he was intelligent, and that he was gayer than a tree full of monkeys on nitrous oxide.
Article I Sec. 9 4
No bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law denying or impairing the right of property in negro slaves shall be passe

Taberone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 08:18:41 pm »

FIXED! LCS v4.12.1
https://www.mediafire.com/?80905657wxjg4od

And for those who want to apply the fix to their own fork instead of downloading mine:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/b545o79aysbljst/HOWTO_FIX_CAR_BUG.zip

Now to get started on the others.

4.12 closes after attempting to open sitemaps. Also, any changes to the XML files in 4.12.1 so I know if I need to update Liberal Additions?

One more for the list:

39) Unarmed stealth kills count as murder while Knife stealth kills don't. To test this out, get your Unarmed skill ludicrously high and find an unarmored Conservative by himself. One-punch him and the alarm will not be raised, but you will get another murder charge. Now stealth-kill a Conservative with a knife and you will not get another murder charge.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 08:33:49 pm by Taberone »

IsaacG

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Engineer
    • View Profile
    • JJoseph on Deviantart
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2017, 11:08:08 am »

4.12 closes after attempting to open sitemaps. Also, any changes to the XML files in 4.12.1 so I know if I need to update Liberal Additions?

Thus far I haven't changed the manner in which XML is accessed, Liberal Additions should work fine.  I should start using the changelog instead of dropping off the latest version and then waiting until people ask before I say what's different.

That bug troubles me, because I'm not aware of any change I've made that would explain it.  I have to look into it.
LCS 4.12 Thread
Article I Sec. 9 4
Pages: [1] 2 3 4