Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Game Gripes -- things that annoy you about LCS  (Read 35585 times)

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
Re: Game Gripes -- things that annoy you about LCS
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2017, 11:06:59 am »

Why are you re-equipping the weapons, when you don't intend to use them? And how exactly does it make sense that people carrying BFGs around wouldn't raise any alarms?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Taberone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2017, 09:45:21 pm »

Why are you re-equipping the weapons, when you don't intend to use them? And how exactly does it make sense that people carrying BFGs around wouldn't raise any alarms?

To clarify, it doesn't seem disguises work with weapons bigger than a SMG/shotgun. IIRC, Carrying Army Armor and wielding a M16 will still get you busted, even with high disguise. If the weapon is yellow, then no amount of disguise skill and the correct disguise seems to do anything.

When disguising, it is better to walk around with the right disguise and any weapons unequipped. If you go to the army base in Army Armor and a M16, even with high disguise, your cover will still be blown somehow, despite looking like a soldier on patrol with his service rifle.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 07:12:56 pm by Taberone »

Taberone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2018, 07:58:02 pm »

Another pet peeve of mine: Inability to assign "Repair clothing" in bulk. No reason why it shouldn't be bulk-assignable, especially during a Siege when there's not much to do but repair the TONS of damaged armor left over from the countless murder sprees my Liberals have gone on.

IsaacG

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Engineer
    • View Profile
    • JJoseph on Deviantart
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2018, 08:34:13 pm »

Another pet peeve of mine: Inability to assign "Repair clothing" in bulk. No reason why it shouldn't be bulk-assignable, especially during a Siege when there's not much to do but repair the TONS of damaged armor left over from the countless murder sprees my Liberals have gone on.
It is bulk assignable.  Since the 4.12.6 release in January 2018.

A - Activate Liberals
Press Z to assign simple tasks in bulk.
7 - Repair Clothing

It kinda got buried beneath 4.12.7~4.12.14 since there was a cascade of bug fixes.
LCS 4.12 Thread
https://discord.gg/HYbss8eswM
Many people, meeting Aziraphale for the first time, formed three impressions: that he was English, that he was intelligent, and that he was gayer than a tree full of monkeys on nitrous oxide.
Constitution of the Confederate States
Article I Sec. 9 4
No bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law denying or impairing the right of property in negro slaves shall be passe

Taberone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2018, 07:04:39 pm »

Kidnapping newspapers in the Liberal Guardian never show who's been kidnapped.

Skills like Persuasion (I think), Seduction (definitely), and driving (also definitely) take WAY too long to grind, even with fast skill progression enabled. Because fast skill progression doesn't affect all the skills, just a few of them.

Could be wrong on these, since I haven't played LCS in a long time.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 07:11:23 pm by Taberone »

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2018, 02:22:23 pm »

To clarify, it doesn't seem disguises work with weapons bigger than a SMG/shotgun. IIRC, Carrying Army Armor and wielding a M16 will still get you busted, even with high disguise. If the weapon is yellow, then no amount of disguise skill and the correct disguise seems to do anything.

When disguising, it is better to walk around with the right disguise and any weapons unequipped. If you go to the army base in Army Armor and a M16, even with high disguise, your cover will still be blown somehow, despite looking like a soldier on patrol with his service rifle.

Agreed. It's especially annoying because I remember playing a version I can't find anywhere which made it so if a weapon was "In character" you could be spotted with it equipped without issue.

https://github.com/Kamal-Sadek/Liberal-Crime-Squad/blob/c2a0e24b7f974319e39dcaef161c51a0a59e7d5a/src/sitemode/stealth.cpp

At the bottom here it seems to list which weapons are compatible with what uniforms, and doing so turns them yellow but my cover gets blown anyway.

I dunno if it's a bug or intentional.

EDIT: I am playing the King-Drake build atm. Maybe since quite a bit of code was overhauled for it, the disguise weapon thing might have broke.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 02:27:43 pm by Toybasher »

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2018, 11:28:07 am »

Bit of a double post here but I have a big list of gripes I'd like to get out of the way, alongside suggestions for the new crime squad game Jonathan S. Fox is considering, although this is mostly a pipe dream as some of it would be a pain to code and fit more of a total remake/new game than mod.

First off, vehicles and pursuits

https://github.com/Kamal-Sadek/Liberal-Crime-Squad/blob/c2a0e24b7f974319e39dcaef161c51a0a59e7d5a/art/vehicles.xml

Currently vehicles actually DO have different stats in the game code for stuff like how fast they are, how nimble/easy to dodge with they are, and even how exposed the driver and passengers are, (and even which parts of their body are the most exposed) as well as how easy they are to shoot from. There is also an unused stat for armor thickness.

Note there is no stat for passenger capacity, you can fit 6 liberals in a bug like some sort of clown car. Vehicle damage is also not implemented.

Stolen vehicles DO attract heat but IDK if the heat is permanent or if it dissipates as it is transferred to a safehouse.

You cannot tell a liberal to stay in a car as a getaway driver. Annoying when you have a driver and they get killed during infiltration, meaning you have to have other liberals drive.

Ways to improve vehicles

Stolen status of a car is tracked better + more consequences. If a car is stolen, a chance it will be reported as such. (Maybe more valuable vehicles like a sports car and police cruiser have a much higher chance of being reported after a few days) Stolen cars not only accumulate heat, but have a chance of being recognized as stolen when arriving at a site. (As well as things like having wanted criminals driving or passengers? Or driving a police car without a uniform?) This would result in a chase. Maybe certain vehicles are bait cars or have a tracker that skyrockets heat until removed?

I'd add more stats to vehicles like capacity, (maybe for loot as well as liberals/hostages) and customization. (Either bought from a shop or DIY'd onto the car) Options could include better engine (faster car, easier to evade with?) better tires (better dodging events like fruit stands and durability?) reinforced glass (less chance of getting hit) or tinted glass (liberals cannot be recognized if wanted) as well as a way to "Clean" a stolen car. (GTA-y paint spray method? Changing license plate?)

Vehicle damage would be a thing. Not like Cataclysm where every nut and bolt can break but things like a damaged engine reducing speed and thus chance to pull away from pursuers, or damaged wheels reducing dodge change due to poor steering.

Mounted weapons like a turret for the HMMWV, (one passenger will be very exposed to enemy fire but can get 5 shots a turn like the M249?) or a mounted machine gun for the pickup.

Pursuits are fun but need more variety and differentiation between pursuers like Sieges. Maybe the police can deploy spikestrips to damage your tires, or the agents could use some sort of high-tech thing to shut your engine off, etc.

vehicles nutshell More stats, damage, customization and depth.

Political System

Currently seems alright but I dislike how seats swing between arch-conservative to Elite Liberal. I wish moderates would get elected more. I also noticed presidential elections are National Popular Vote. I would prefer they be electoral college (Bonus: Have election reform at liberal and above switch to popular vote) instead. Considering the events of the 2016 election it would be a nice thing to put in, although how you would effect other states would be hard (Red States try and stay conservative?) but it would be a nice touch.

I do not know how it works currently but it's possible supreme court nominations are always accepted. Realistically congress has to confirm them. I wish it was possible for congress (if stacked heavily against the president) to refuse to confirm a justice and leave the seat vacant.

Political Nutshell Electoral College, supreme court has to be confirmed by congress

Justice System

Only gripes I have are after a certain point (Made worse supposedly by a judicial nerf at one point in the version history. I know before that you can have liberals with black comedy levels of criminal records get not guilty verdicts) you can always get convictions (and even death I think even though lenient judges are supposed to prefer life sentences) even with a sleeper judge, liberal jury, and ace attorney. It might be a bug as I often get stuff like the prosecutor was really slick and had two liberals given a month in jail with a court appointed attorney for one vandalism charge.

I know the worse the crime the better prosecutor but I feel like petty crimes are currently prosecuted too hard. As mentioned there seems to be a cut-off (and its pretty low, too.) where no matter what you're getting jail, even with a sleeper judge and ace attorney and stacked jury and save-scumming to see if it was even possible to get a not guilty verdict.

This is especially bad with certain crimes that go on your record but do not give heat like credit card fraud or vandalism (ESPECIALLY vandalism on a site with spraypaint as each tag is one charge each for everyone in the squad and not just the one spraying, unlike the activity where you only get a charge if caught) meaning you can rack up a ton of them without really realizing it. I actually had a few credit card fraudsters get executed solely because they had hundreds of counts, again with the ace attorney and sleeper judge.

Speaking of Ace Attorneys, I do wish one could have other liberals defend them. Why do you need to have a sleeper attorney? If you can defend yourself in court we need the option to have a active LCS member show up to defend them. (Maybe if they don't have a criminal record themselves)

For liberal enough juries (I.E. one of the members flash a LCS sign or was a best friend from childhood) the worst outcome ought to be a hung jury, giving you more time to attempt a breakout. Remember all 12 juries have to say guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, so if just ONE jurist refuses to budge, the trial is hung. Maybe charges can be convicted on (or charged?) by a charge-by-charge basis, meaning you can plead guilty to have certain charges removed or downgraded, or be convicted of some crimes but not others.

Justice Nutshell More realism, less "All or Nothing" trials, and punishment that actually fits the crime instead of the death penalty being possible for petty crimes in a large enough amount. Ability to have other LCS members defend you in court.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 03:37:47 pm by Toybasher »

The Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2018, 04:50:32 pm »

Political System

Currently seems alright but I dislike how seats swing between arch-conservative to Elite Liberal. I wish moderates would get elected more. I also noticed presidential elections are National Popular Vote. I would prefer they be electoral college (Bonus: Have election reform at liberal and above switch to popular vote) instead. Considering the events of the 2016 election it would be a nice thing to put in, although how you would effect other states would be hard (Red States try and stay conservative?) but it would be a nice touch.

I do not know how it works currently but it's possible supreme court nominations are always accepted. Realistically congress has to confirm them. I wish it was possible for congress (if stacked heavily against the president) to refuse to confirm a justice and leave the seat vacant.

In the thing I'm working on, this is one of the major departures I have from the original design since I also felt it was kind of lacking, especially given how both the 2000 and 2016 elections went to a candidate who lost the popular vote but won the EC (a big cause of Liberal frustration in both cases). The original game code actually DOES have states leaning Liberal or Conservative, but it only gets used as a modifier for the constitutional amendment votes.

A screenshot of this in action:

(Funny enough this time it actually HELPED the Liberal candidate)

Having electoral reform at L+ making it pure popular vote is interesting, but realistically a switch from the electoral college would be a constitutional amendment rather than just the result of a congressional bill or supreme court decision - and by the time you're getting constitutional amendments passed you've already won the game.

As for the supreme court, the original game code actually DOES factor in the Senate position when determining the alignment of a new judge - so even with a C+ president you might still end up with a C supreme court judge, because the senate isn't conservative enough to accept an extremist.
LCS Graphical Remake:

https://the-cheshire-cat.itch.io/lcs
Current progress: ~100%

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2018, 03:35:11 pm »

Very cool to see.

One other sort of gripe is if the LCS leader dies and nobody replaces them, or everyone gets wiped out the game just ends.

You CAN currently go "Underground" via the Disband feature on the laws screen. Even if the LCS is wiped out, one ought to technically still be able to "Win" if you accomplish your goals. I.E. die martyrs but still have effected the public enough the laws go elite liberal.

I.E. LCS getting crushed should cause something similar to disbanding where you can advance time until the conservative amendment passes or all laws go elite liberal rather than an immediate game over.

cdru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2018, 03:58:48 am »

Inability to stop bleeding of hostages. I frequently had CEOs die on me by bleeding to death

Taberone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2018, 12:36:55 am »

Very cool to see.

One other sort of gripe is if the LCS leader dies and nobody replaces them, or everyone gets wiped out the game just ends.

You CAN currently go "Underground" via the Disband feature on the laws screen. Even if the LCS is wiped out, one ought to technically still be able to "Win" if you accomplish your goals. I.E. die martyrs but still have effected the public enough the laws go elite liberal.

I.E. LCS getting crushed should cause something similar to disbanding where you can advance time until the conservative amendment passes or all laws go elite liberal rather than an immediate game over.

How about a possible "Legacy" mode in addition to that where not only does time advance, but there is a chance for a future Liberal to get inspired by the LCS and pick up where it left off? Especially if the LCS is really popular with the public.

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2018, 01:24:04 pm »

How about a possible "Legacy" mode in addition to that where not only does time advance, but there is a chance for a future Liberal to get inspired by the LCS and pick up where it left off? Especially if the LCS is really popular with the public.

Difficult to balance, but excellent idea. The problem with it is that public opinion changes fairly rapidly if the LCS isn't around, to the point that should the LCS disappear, pretty soon nobody will remember it, and those who do will dislike it. It would need some issues to experience drift in public opinion that is more gradual than others. Alternatively we could remove the LCS from public opinion altogether and make LCS popularity an entirely separate variable.

Gh0stD0g

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2019, 09:23:04 pm »

I havn't played in four years, but I noticed either a bug or change I don't like in both Isaacg's 4.12.36 and Fox's 4.07.

Successful stealth kills with a knife now raise alarms, though they don't count as murder.

(If this is a glitch and anyone wants to see it, I'll happily send whatever files are needed.)

Also my gripes are
1. There's never been an expansion of other stealth kill weapons. Like silenced pistols and smg and rifles for Liberals with those skills. I also think swords, axes, clubs, and martial arts should count.

2. I understand the removal of the second safehouse, it did have a way of making things a little too easy during early gameplay, but I think it would be neat to have the option to construct new safehouses. I've learned having one safehouse and the heat generating crackhouse throws off my old playstyle way too much.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 03:24:13 am by Gh0stD0g »

Taberone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2019, 11:39:49 pm »

I havn't played in four years, but I noticed either a bug or change I don't like in both Isaacg's 4.12.36 and Fox's 4.07.

Successful stealth kills with a knife now raise alarms, though they don't count as murder.

(If this is a glitch and anyone wants to see it, I'll happily send whatever files are needed.)

Also my gripes are
1. There's never been an expansion of other stealth kill weapons. Like silenced pistols and smg and rifles for Liberals with those skills. I also think swords, axes, clubs, and martial arts should count.

2. I understand the removal of the second safehouse, it did have a way of making things a little too easy during early gameplay, but I think it would be neat to have the option to construct new safehouses. I've learned having one safehouse and the heat generating crackhouse throws off my old playstyle way too much.

Silenced pistols can be modded in by adding sneak attack property under a pistol. Only problem is, the attack description mentions STABBING someone with a pistol, while the pistol loses a bullet. I'd assume it's the same for anything else.

Also, stealth attacks themselves are a gripe. You can't decide not to stealth attack, and failed stealth attacks result in your Liberal not being able to attack at all. So if you're not intending to be stealthy and try to attack a conservative with melee, you'll stealth attack anyways, have the conservative block the attack if you fail, and then get shot dead by the conservative.

Gh0stD0g

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2019, 02:29:44 am »

Thank you Taberone, I really appreciate the explanation on how to mod this myself, I've got to admit I'm having allot of fun returning to LCS and DF and the community here makes me wish I had been active on the forums years ago.

However, you didn't touch down on the glitch I'm experiencing, successful knife stealth kills raise alarms without fail. I'm sorry to nitpick and don't mean to complain, but it's been bugging me for days now and I can't fix it with my limited experience and understanding in programming.

P.S.
I always found the fun that followed a stealth teams failure to be a part of gameplay, but now I do understand why the other melee weapons shouldn't have a stealth function. Thanks again!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 02:32:21 am by Gh0stD0g »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4