Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mod Idea (Populating the Tundra/Glacier)  (Read 2249 times)

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
Mod Idea (Populating the Tundra/Glacier)
« on: July 24, 2017, 08:06:07 pm »

So, yeah. Thats a thing I plan on doing, but do do it, I'll need ideas. Any ideas for what to add to these? They can be real plants and animals, creatures from folklore, or plants and animals from games. Also ideas for civilizations for such.

Got this idea when I realized something about Glacier Survival. It's hard, but boring unless you have challenges nearby. Even Savage and Evil biomes on ice provide little challenge, since you wont be seeing much in the name of reanimated wildlife.

Also due to this, ill need information about how to make living creatures less susceptible to cold.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 08:10:55 pm by Kyubee »
My mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

VolcanoQueen

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably a robot or something.
    • View Profile
Re: Mod Idea (Populating the Tundra/Glacier)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 08:24:37 pm »

I looked at a list of mythical creatures on Wikipedia, but I didn't find anything that would be a very interesting wandering creature. Wendigos and Yuki-onnas could make some pretty cool pseudo-vampires, though. Also, to make creatures less vulnerable to cold, modifying the thing at the end of the RAWs for dragons. Something like this could work:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 12:30:03 am »

Yeti civ, Jotuns, White Walkers, modded weather patterns (blizzards, auroras).

Also due to this, ill need information about how to make living creatures less susceptible to cold.

And unless I'm mistaken, I do not believe temperature becomes cold enough to kill animals or dwarves in a regular (non-advanced) generated world.

VolcanoQueen

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably a robot or something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 01:34:33 am »

modded weather patterns (blizzards, auroras)
Aren't blizzards (or snowstorms, at least) already in the game?

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 01:56:11 am »

Wargs as wandering animals? Meaner, bigger wolves with a very thick hide.

Snow rabbits that are faster than normal rabbits for something to hunt?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 02:05:40 am by bluephoenix »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 06:26:41 am »

I meant blizzards that actually did something beyond giving someone a bad thought.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 08:28:40 am »

The creatures need to be cold resistant, since certain other creatures like insects will actuallly die in the "deathly cold" setting that can periodically be found on very northern glaciers below freezing during the winter. I embarked with some goblins (considerably weaker & smaller than stout dwarves) and they died where they stood around the wagon while i was setting up a safe entrance into the ice.

Its partially a problem that the tundra doesn't actually have any creatures besides yeti's & evil ice wolves, most of the wildlife can be found on the bordering artic ocean & tundra biomes (polar bears, musk ox etc) but that doesn't have to be a limit to your imagination.

There is a [INSULATION] tag on fur that is also helpful to keeping your dwarves from dying in extreme cold when the hair yarn is used in clothing, notable example being found on yeti's

Code: [Select]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUES]
[SELECT_TISSUE:HAIR]
[INSULATION:300]

I meant blizzards that actually did something beyond giving someone a bad thought.

I've had snow cause surface level cave ins inside my fortress before, it adds weight & stresses tiles requiring supports in open spaced large rooms, dropped right ontop of my farm causing grass to grow from the dispensed dirt after i patched it up quickly with a wooden floor.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 10:08:37 am »

I've had snow cause surface level cave ins inside my fortress before, it adds weight & stresses tiles requiring supports in open spaced large rooms, dropped right ontop of my farm causing grass to grow from the dispensed dirt after i patched it up quickly with a wooden floor.

Yeah... no, this just doesn't happen. Unless you're playing v.23 from the 2D era or something.

Regarding the dying from the cold part, while I am reasonably confident it isnt possible, I'll defer to someone who knows more about the range of vanilla (non-advanced) worldgen temperature. I will say that insect chitin has the same COLDDAM_POINT as skin though, and underneath they all share the same materials.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 11:01:19 am »

Giant versions of regular tundra beasts.

Some form of serpent or very large lizard.

Meaner wolves.

Dire penguins.

Ice witches in evil biomes, ice fairies in good, with fairies being the more troublesome.

A snow golem that just so happens to have three body parts, a corn cob pipe, and two eyes made of coal.

Iron men or Amethyst Men that are made of ice.

A version of the fire imp that throws a ball of extremely cold something or other.

Ice crabs.

Arctic drake.

Wyverns.

Lesser dragons.

Tribes of yeti a la cave style.

A rare ore that can spawn in chunks of ice that can be turned into an awesome metal but requires tons of fuel.

Land carp.

Mammo... Mammi? Mammotha?

A massive bipedal creature with a coating of ice as armour.

A skeletal being with flesh of ice that hunts down dwarves.

Cold gremlins.

Frozen gnomes.

Elk birds on the surface.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 02:13:09 pm »

Aldiss's Helliconia series has a whole menagerie of ice-dwelling wildlife, not least the huge, dangerous, sapient and human-hating phagors. Other notable creatures of immediate interest to Dorfs include giant, insectoid Stungebags (hard to kill, but valuable innards and carapaces) and giant flying worms that retreat underground in winter.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 02:27:38 pm »

How about horkers and wispmothers from Elder Scrolls?
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 01:42:13 pm »

Well, walruses, at least, are already in the game. Granted, it never hurts to have the same creature again with a sillier name.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 03:54:06 pm »

Horkers have three tusks, though
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2017, 04:22:03 pm »

There was the Nar region from MagiNation:  http://www.bluefurok.com/VS_index.htm
And Ice Type Pokemon:  https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Ice_(type)#Pok.C3.A9mon
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2017, 03:58:42 pm »

There was the Nar region from MagiNation:  http://www.bluefurok.com/VS_index.htm
And Ice Type Pokemon:  https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Ice_(type)#Pok.C3.A9mon

Theres already a pokemon mod, but as for the Nar Region, maybe.
My mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.
Pages: [1] 2