Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mod Idea (Populating the Tundra/Glacier)  (Read 2230 times)

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
Re: Mod Idea (Populating the Tundra/Glacier)
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2017, 07:47:53 pm »

There was the Nar region from MagiNation:  http://www.bluefurok.com/VS_index.htm
And Ice Type Pokemon:  https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Ice_(type)#Pok.C3.A9mon

Theres already a pokemon mod, but as for the Nar Region, maybe.

All pokemon are based on animals or some sort of physical thing, so you could take pokemon and reverse engineer them into DF critters.  Like Dewgong = Phantom Seal, Lapras = Carrier Turtle, Sneasle = Shredder Weasle, etc.  I think Jinx is supposed to be a yuki-onna, a real yuki-onna could be an interesting DF hazard. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

blapnk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2017, 05:46:56 am »

You can make creature templates that take ordinary creatures and either make their organic materials immune to cold damage or outright make out of ice or snow with all the usual tags that come with inorganic creatures. Much like animalmen and giant versions of ordinary creatures. I don't know how well multiple templates work to make giant ice creatures for savage tundras. Should be able to automatically change any colors to white and increase the thickness of hair if present. Set the template up once and you have all the rest of the vanilla creatures to add to the tundra to easily make a well rounded ecosystem.

"This is a block of living ice twisted into the form of a kea. It hungers for warm blood"

You might actually want to keep ordinary tundra empty since mundane animals would have trouble surviving and having no access easy wild game to hunt for meat, leather, and bones is it's own challenge (not to mention the fps boost that comes with not having to keep track of surface creatures). Keep the supernatural creatures to Good and Evil biomes for when you want the challenge. Evil Ice and snow creatures are good candidates for adding random extra !!fun!! abilities without feeling too out of place. Treat them as mini forgotten beasts and hfs made out ice. Can even extract the extra raws from a save game to find something suitable.

Finally, don't forget to play with the population and frequency tags to make sure these deadly cold creatures actually appear in your tundra to threated your fortress!

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2017, 05:26:43 pm »

Lesser dragons.

Hmm... This creature sounds awfully familiar....

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2017, 08:45:08 pm »

Lesser dragons.

Like a wyvern? Or cave dragon?
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2017, 11:17:41 pm »

Lesser dragons.

Like a wyvern? Or cave dragon?

I have a creature in my mod called a lesser dragon.
Pages: 1 [2]