Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20

Author Topic: World Trek: Evolving Magic  (Read 26021 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Infinity Mansion : Evolving Magic
« Reply #165 on: August 07, 2017, 08:57:24 am »

((Wait, did I miss an opportunity to join?))
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 07, 2017, 09:25:07 am »

Apparently so. Better luck next time, Fallacy.

And yeah, Ocean, I've got the room alteration format down, but redundancy is never a bad thing. People can die, or get cut off...

Besides, I'm planning on going into ""target room becomes safe farm", or "target room becomes safe armory", etc., so while taking "target room becomes safe" is a good idea (or "target room becomes safe, permanently", if it turns out to be required), we can easily take different focuses in room-altering. 
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 07, 2017, 09:40:34 am »

I was sorta thinking that. For what you were planning, it might be nice to change rooms ahead of time. That is, have "Next room opened is...", which may be more efficient on cooldown. I could go along the line of affecting current rooms, like "Occupants of target room heal gradually" or "mundane food created in target room is permanent".

Also, don't forget spells to make rooms...lavatories. Yeah, we do need those.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 07, 2017, 09:44:59 am »

"Target room becomes safe forest". Probably one of our best bets for all-around utility. Wipe it with a leaf.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 08, 2017, 07:45:46 am »

If I make a room safe with the above spell, is there a time limit on that, or is it permanent? If I cast "target room becomes farm" or some equivalent spell, is that permanent or temporary? It's important for how much modification I need to do.

First is temporary, second permanent. Anything that results physical transformation is permanent, unless spell states otherwise.

((Wait, did I miss an opportunity to join?))

Yep. Waitlist is more like a priority list. When there's a slot open I'll say so and those higher in the list have priority over others, assuming they announce their readyness before next turn. That's because I like to have active players.

Jeremiah casts his spell clearly saying his own name. Bone plates grow on his back in pattern that allows the plates slide over others. The bat wings on his back suddenly double their size and he has barely enough time to orient himself horizontally so the wings have room to grow. Now his wings are twice as tall as he is, even when they are properly folded to take minimum space, not to mention the size comes with considerable weight despite of the hollow bones. Amount of additional skin, bones, muscles, and blood is easily around 20 kilograms. Jeremiah finds himself in short of breath and his pulse skyrockets. His heart and lungs are having hard time to supply enough oxygenated blood everywhere. There's no way for him to go into the central hallway anymore, so he's pretty much locked into the treasure room.

Shannon finally took up to wander in newly opened rooms to recharge his spells. Only room he doesn't visit yet is the one Walter opens.

Little Finger returns to the treasure room where Jeremiah wheezes under weight of his wings and checks the jewelry displayed there. He finds bracelets, pearl necklaces, brooches, and many exquiste rings. More wealth than he has ever seen before in his life! However no matter how much he tries, he cannot sense any magic anywhere. Perhaps it is because he's a fledling wizard and can barely sense his own spells in action.

In mess hall Rosie walks to inspect the boxes and barrels, leaving her foot prints in sand. One barrel that's lifted on the counter has a tap in it. She finds a mug from shelves and releases a small amount of liquid into it. *sniff sniff* Hmm, this definitely beer. Slightly different smell from usual beers she has come across, but the smell cannot be mistaken for anything else. Boxes are mostly nailed shut, but in the open ones she finds rye bread, fruits, salted meat, and fishes in cold salt water. Shelves contain wooden bowls and spoons and some metal knives. "Now only if there was a kitchen" she prays and opens the other door.

However there are no kitchen behind that door, only a stone walled room of apparently arcane nature. Green flames of braziers in every corner light the room. There are unknown runic writing on walls written with white chalk and same chalk is used to draw a large magic circle in middle of the floor. In between the door and the circle is a podium and an open large tome. There's a some sort of demonic creature featurer on one page and on other page is a magic circle similar to the one drawn on floor.

While crafting their new spells Rosie and Octavian both run into a same problem; overcoming magic forces dominating the space here requires extremely large amounts of power. It seems the Infinity Mansion is heavily protected against tampering. It is not impossible, but at their current power level it will take long time to get their spells ready. One must become stronger if one wishes to master the Infinity Mansion.

Rather than being discouraged by this, Octavian lifts off doors together with Walter to ensure nobody closes them ever again. Audience hall door is first to go quickly followed by mess hall door. Morgue cannot be really considered safe with those angry golems, so that one is left alone. The classroom seems safe enough despite of the weird pattern the plants are growing. Likewise courtroom and treasure room doors are removed. The room with arcane runes and magic circles is left alone. That smells like potential trouble. If something bad comes through it would be nice to be able to disconnect it. Octavian returns to the main hallway and casts the translation spell on himself. It's not permanent spell, but at least he can communicate with people.

Finally Walter goes to open the morgue door. Behind it is another stone walled cool room. Heavy duty shelves on walls and middle hold various boxes, barrels, and bottles. Seems like a larder. It wouldn't be a bad idea to take off this door too. Only shady thing about the room is its ceiling. Despite of being clearly wooden it's very translucent, exposing infinite darkness beyond.

Spoiler: Rooms (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sheets (click to show/hide)
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 08, 2017, 08:15:37 am »

Heh. So room alterations are really expensive. Got it.

"Target becomes demigod" (standard)
I'll be turning that into demigods of various Roman gods, in addition to blessings from those gods.

Start running through various languages that I now know, saying "Can you understand this language", staring with Egyptian, German, and Russian, then through all the new Romance languages I now know (French, Spanish, Italian, etc.), and then the new Germanic languages that I now know (um... English). Inquire into what the language that these people speak is called.
Then, go check around everywhere (except for the morgue, audience hall, and other rooms deemed unsafe) for proper weapons.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 08, 2017, 08:53:11 am »

Jeremiah opens the other door in the treasure room.

Change spell: Moss and Fungus explode on pointed target.
One wheel short of a wagon

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 08, 2017, 09:07:06 am »

The forearms of 1 targeted male nearby double in size.
>
1 targeted male nearby doubles in size.

Cautiously step into the larder, and grab some stuff that's very close the entrance. Keep an eye on the ceiling at all times, and be ready to step back out of the room if something happens.

If the room still seems safe afterwards, prop the door open without taking it off its hinges.

darkgamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 08, 2017, 11:19:00 am »

How do you know how many spells you have?

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 08, 2017, 11:32:40 am »

Modification time:
touched target is healed> touched target is smaller

Darkgamer:
10 - "Touched target becomes understandable permanently", 1/10, -3

needs 3 turns to recharge and have 1

3 - "Touched target doesn't appear visible to the opposite person", 8/1, 8

you can use 8 times

Just see in the sheets

To octavian/glass: "Oh great, you speak english now? Why you wear that ancient clothes?"

"Jeremiah, you should take care of those wings, in one edit i can make them smaller, want?"

*go in the hall#1 and say louder*

"Guys, i can now make modifications like "target is stronger/weaker/dead" and "target knows english/leatherwork/blacksmith/martial arts" even "enchanting", who knows if it is the only way to make magic? Give me requests, i wanna this gang kicking ass, okay, i want give permanent status later, my mama would be very proud, i am going to make those pillars holding the jewels safe in some edits"

*Goes into the barracks for the first time (obviously i will not get close, check traps on the cistern, if free check for any dangers, if there is,  i close, if none i will see if there is a kid sized leather armor and wear it, also, if there is closed chests i see if i can open them*

"Guys, we got the barracks back, we could use those stalagmites as a trap for invasors when sleeping, and hey, still got some armors"
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 08, 2017, 11:35:43 am »

"Target room becomes lavatory". Next turn, it'll change to "Next room caster opens...", then maybe another edit for becomes->is, and maybe yet another to undo any random addition caused by the first one here.

...Eh, Rosie'll close and reopen the door.

Also, I just realized that Octavian was editing spells in ENGLISH, so...was he already secretly multilingual?
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 08, 2017, 12:04:34 pm »

Sugestion for rosie/octavian
two turns you can get:
"target enchantment/magic becomes permanent"

Yes, one always can put his own magic to be permanent, but you could want that a magic from someone else be permanent, maybe an effect from an item, maybe not so useful riiight now. But hey not a bad idea. You could even screw creatures this way.
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 08, 2017, 01:34:18 pm »

How do you know how many spells you have?

The numbers after spell indicates that. For example, your spell #10:

"Touched target becomes understandable permanently", 1/10, -3

1/10 means that after the spell is used once you need to enter into ten rooms you have never been before to be able to cast it again. -3 in end is status of the recharge process; in this case you still need enter three new rooms before you can cast the spell again.

Likewise your spell #3:

"Touched target doesn't appear visible to the opposite person", 8/1, 8

8/1 means you can cast it eight times in row after entering a room you have never been before. And the last number is how many times you can cast it at the moment before you need to recharge it by entering a new room.

This is to encourage you wander in the Infinite Mansion and into trouble.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 08, 2017, 02:18:03 pm »

Sugestion for rosie/octavian
two turns you can get:
"target enchantment/magic becomes permanent"

Yes, one always can put his own magic to be permanent, but you could want that a magic from someone else be permanent, maybe an effect from an item, maybe not so useful riiight now. But hey not a bad idea. You could even screw creatures this way.
That'll probably be veeery expensive on the cool down. Permanency on ANY particular spell is pretty valuable, so being able to put that on literally ANY spell I desire...though, specifying what each spell could make permanent, such as foods, rings, equipment, spell effect on equipment, spell effect on ring,...you know what? One of my new magic objectives is to get a magic-ring-creation system. Ao, what would be considered an "enchantment"?

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 08, 2017, 03:10:16 pm »

Also, I just realized that Octavian was editing spells in ENGLISH, so...was he already secretly multilingual?
The spells are mental constructs that get slight changes in meaning over time. You guys are only perceiving them as English; Octavian understood his magic in Latin.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20