Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20

Author Topic: World Trek: Evolving Magic  (Read 26013 times)

darkgamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Infinity Mansion : Evolving Magic
« Reply #180 on: August 08, 2017, 03:38:39 pm »

Shannon uses the spell "Touched named target gains regeneration permanently" on himself before quickly going in and out of the room rossie opened and used that spell on Jeremiah.

Spell change: Touched named target gains regeneration permanently > Touched named target gains the ability of regeneration permanently

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 08, 2017, 03:42:03 pm »

Also, I just realized that Octavian was editing spells in ENGLISH, so...was he already secretly multilingual?
The spells are mental constructs that get slight changes in meaning over time. You guys are only perceiving them as English; Octavian understood his magic in Latin.
What I was trying to point out was, due to the difference in language, there would be some changes possible in a latin spell that wouldn't be possible in English. Don't ask me what they are, I don't speak Latin. The same logic would go for practically any two languages.

Ninja:
Shannon uses the spell "Touched named target gains regeneration permanently" on himself before quickly going in and out of the room rossie opened and used that spell on Jeremiah.

Spell change: Touched named target gains regeneration permanently > Touched named target gains the ability of regeneration permanently
Isn't it suspicious how the ability is once per room? If it were as useful as it implies, it would be more expensive. Either that's because bodies usually have some minute form of regeneration, or you will get some form of cancer. Probably the former, as the latter would be decent offensively.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 08, 2017, 04:00:44 pm »

The short duration is almost certainly due to "touched named target". It's a pretty specific requirement. Saying "touched named human target" might get you multiple times per room.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 08, 2017, 04:07:26 pm »

So we could make an almost overpowered spell and as a requirement we should dance and sing for 3 minutes to the magic have effect. (It would be nice do some kind of prayer before opening the doors)

But might be something hidden, maybe it will be needed "supernatural regeneration" to it work? we will discover soon  :P
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 08, 2017, 04:12:00 pm »

Eh, I've got a harp. I'm going to use that fact to set up a qualifier for a spell at some point. "Everyone nearby becomes docile while caster plays harp."

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 08, 2017, 04:54:39 pm »

Next turn's spell alteration is when my magic can actually start doing stuff, so that's going to be fun.

My current template is very good for buffs and minor transformation, so that's probably what I'll start with. Expanding my capabilities is probably first priority, but at some point I could also change the multipliers, targeting, and target number to increase effective recharge time and give myself some options.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 08, 2017, 05:12:17 pm »

Latin wouldn't be too bad. Similar structure, and as we're cutting up logical components, it would be roughly translatable. Mandarin or Urdu I suspect would be worse.
One wheel short of a wagon

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 08, 2017, 05:26:18 pm »

Latin wouldn't be too bad. Similar structure, and as we're cutting up logical components, it would be roughly translatable. Mandarin or Urdu I suspect would be worse.
我也说中文,所以你给了我一个挑战。

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 08, 2017, 05:35:06 pm »

I know nothing about Chinese languages, so I'm curious: could you make logical blocks like, "touched target", "moss", "and", "fungus", "grows", "on", "target's" "back", sort of thing? I know the order would be different, but would correlating components be possible?
One wheel short of a wagon

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 08, 2017, 06:19:29 pm »

Um... I can't think of how to do targets other than the caster (我, or I). For something becoming something else, you can have 是, is, though it's specifically for nouns (是红色, is red, is grammatically incorrect). 有 would give you something (我有书, I have a book, would probably summon a book).

Ultimately, it could probably work, but it'd need a greater mastery of Mandarin than I have.

EDIT: For your specific example, "moss and fungus" is easy (I don't know moss and fungus in and if itself, but "猫和狗", cat and dog, displays the structure nicely [和=and, 也=also]), while 在 gives you a location (在学校 would be "army school"), and I know that there are specific place words, although I can't think of them right now. You can say someone's back, though I'm still not sure how to do "target", and especially not something like "touched target" or "named target".
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 06:44:12 pm by Glass »

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 08, 2017, 06:23:30 pm »

我也说中文,所以你给了我一个挑战。
I also speak Chinese, so you gave me a challenge.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 09, 2017, 04:54:08 am »

Amusingly, I just notice that "Make room safe" might have another meaning. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safe Bank vaults anyone?

Also the discussion about language is interesting. Maybe spells are in some bizarre otherworldly language that everyone can comprehend? Like, the brain translates automatically somehow? Dunno. Maybe players just can't speak it normally. In fact, we have yet to see a spell that requires you to speak it out loud.

Maybe try something like "if spell intone/recited" as a restrictor to reduce charge time.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 04:57:50 am by Person »
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 09, 2017, 12:14:12 pm »

Also the discussion about language is interesting. Maybe spells are in some bizarre otherworldly language that everyone can comprehend? Like, the brain translates automatically somehow? Dunno. Maybe players just can't speak it normally. In fact, we have yet to see a spell that requires you to speak it out loud.

I think that it wasn't something planned till we start talking about languages, now or the Ao will just accept this as truth, or never tell to make people curious :v

Now i am trying to imagine people doing this magic system in different languages

L'homme es malade 1/4 1
Conjurador fica forte 1/8 -4
"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" 1\the end -when sanity fades
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 09, 2017, 12:39:35 pm »

I marked all spells and enchantments on people I consider to have permanent effects with (P) prefix. Glass, keep in mind your omnilingual enchantment is not permanent and it ended as soon as you went looking for weapons.

Ao, what would be considered an "enchantment"?

Almost everything that doesn't end instantly after casting as long as target is a living being. For example your spell "Target cannot sleep unless naked" gives target simple enchantment.

As for enchanting items, well, once again almost everything. All spells can be imbued into items with suitable spell, though how the enchantment actually works depends on wording of the said spell. You can either make it so that if "Target becomes a cat" is imbued into a ring, then anyone wearing the ring is considered as target and thus transformed when it is worn, or you can store the spell into the ring and use it later as if it were your normal spell. In both cases enchanted object stops being enchanted object, but that can be avoided with the keyword "pemanent". Permanently stored spells are subject to normal spell recharge rates.

It's a little bit open how I handle it, but probably will be decided when you actually start enchanting stuff.

The short duration is almost certainly due to "touched named target". It's a pretty specific requirement. Saying "touched named human target" might get you multiple times per room.

Yes and no. I probably have to check my charts for that loophole.

I think that it wasn't something planned till we start talking about languages, now or the Ao will just accept this as truth, or never tell to make people curious :v

Now i am trying to imagine people doing this magic system in different languages

I kinda thinks spells as some sort of mental electric circuit that's waiting for enough juice and someone to press the button.

Also, I won't work with languages other than english. Or finnish, if you know it.

Octavian starts babbling in various languages, some dead, some not spoken by humans, until he eventually hears one of the people speaking at which point his brain locks into the language. He inquires name of the language, to which only the child responds inquiring about his ancient attire. Octavian still remembers how basically every adult seemed to be very old from viewpoint of child, but to be considered as "ancient"... He's certain his clothes are not that much unfashionable, albeit these other people certainly have very different fashion sense. Ultimately nobody directly answers to his question, but the child does so indirectly by asking requests for his future spells. Apparently the language is called "english", which sounds similar to the language used in British islands.

Having his question answered Octavian goes around looking for weapons and he finds a decent knife in mess hall. It's not really combat worthy, but he thinks he can stab someone at least once with it and places it under his belt. And while he's constructing new spell he once again faces a problem. This time it comes down to lack of power. He simply doesn't have enough ability to channel the powers required to make someone become a demigod. No matter how long he could wait, he would never be able to cast it. His spell formula collapses, rapidly devolving into a form that could permanently collapse the moment it is powered or altered, but one he actually can cast. The way to divinity is long and painful, but the way to greater power is clearly within his hands.

Jeremiah carefully moves into position where he can open a door, constantly panting and feeling like having run a half marathon despite lack of sweating. Once in suitable sideway position he pulls the door open. The room behind is smaller than the treasure room. Walls and ceiling are plastered with white mortar. On the back wall where treasure room lights barely reach is a wooden crucifix and a small altar. Walls on side have numerous alcoves, each featuring a human skull and other larger bones. Not very promising start.

Walter takes a step into larder while keeping eyes on ceiling. After waiting a minute and nothing happening (beyond his eyes adapting to darkness) he takes one heavy box from closest shelve he can reach. That done he keeps observing ceiling and darkness beyond. He isn't quite certain, but thinks he can see few very dim lights in distance. It's probably safe, Walter reasons, unless those lights belong to some interdimensional horror, much like deep sea fishes lure the prey with their lights. He uses the box he took to keep the door open.

Little Finger goes to the cistern room and inspects it in case of traps. After checking muddy floor, walls, pipes and the large vat he is certain it is free of traps, but the pipes are steadily leaking water. Some hot, some cold. It doesn't look like pipes will burst any time soon, but who knows really. He ain't a plumber. But the leaking pipes provide drinkable water if someone were to put a buckets there. It can be left open for now, but when better (and faster) water source is found it may be good idea to close it.

The chests in barracks do not contain kid sized armor. Perhaps if he were to use his shrinking spell on armor it could fit him better. Or it could become too small. It's impossible to tell without trying first. There are four leather armors left in open chests and other six chests are locked so it's probably a safe test. The locks in chests seem rather simple, really old fashioned types. He doesn't have any tools to break chests or pick locks so there's nothing he can do about it. A spell to open locks would be nice...

Rosie feels magic symbols are a bit too sinister for her tastes, so he tries again. This time the door opens into a large hall, a tad religious one. Though one that's clearly abandonded. Pretty much like this:

Shannon grants himself permanent regeneration, recharges the spell quickly in the chantry Rosie opened and uses it again on Jeremiah in Treasure room.

Spoiler: Rooms (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sheets (click to show/hide)
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 09, 2017, 01:06:08 pm »

Hah! This'll be fun. Demigod status must be really good.
Instead of an alteration, can I stabilize my new spell? If so, do so. Otherwise, I'd like to do "Target becomes omnilingual, permanently" (bolded word added).

Anyway, let's go ahead, open some more doors, and try to find some useful rooms. A forest, a farm, a blacksmith, a merchant, etc.; all of those would be desired outcomes. Make sure to close any doors leading to clearly unsafe rooms and re-open them (the morgue does not count as one of those, as it is easy to avoid the danger). However, don't remove any doors until we can be certain that there's no traps, or at least until we know what the traps are and how to easily avoid them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20