Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20

Author Topic: World Trek: Evolving Magic  (Read 25557 times)

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Infinity Mansion : Evolving Magic
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2017, 03:54:14 pm »

Hold on I have a quick question are we starting off in different rooms or are we in the same room?

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2017, 03:54:51 pm »

We're all together.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2017, 03:55:14 pm »

"So...is this how the fourth dimension works?...hmm...nope, back in 3D. Oh well, might as well make use of this magic. The right spell could bring my backpack back! So...I guess...simple. Target cannot sleep unless naked.. Next'll be Target sleeps...does editing automatically adjust tiny tense changes like that? If not, I could lead into target MUST, or WILL, sleep unless naked. Then I can branch out from sleep into attack, stop, talk, DIE, for emergencies, pass out, for convenience,.. hey, I'm not alone! If anyone here is a long-term resident of this place, I'm Rosie, friends call me Compass Rosie, and please don't show me around.

Alteration is in bold. AO, if I had the spell "Target must run unless naked", would an acceptable alteration be "target must run INTO ROOM unless naked"? If not, I could just go "Target must mop..."->"Target must mop room..."->"Target must mop into room" to get that structure. Anyway, Talk with others, and see if I can notice anything different about the doors or what's beyond them. I know I can't see past them while they're closed, but I may be able to hear or smell something.

Also, a few suggestions for two who may have trouble expanding from their starting spells. If you want help, just ask IC. Warning; help phrased like Rosie is saying it.
Spoiler: Glass (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: NJW (click to show/hide)
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2017, 04:09:37 pm »

Spoiler: Waitlisting (click to show/hide)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2017, 04:13:36 pm »

Quick answers first:

Is "Caster's clothing has a dead skunk in it" a valid modification?

EDIT2: Or maybe just "Caster's clothing smells like a skunk". Yeah, let's go with that.
Not really, changing wording than much can be a can of worms that might become a troublesome later on. I prefer that edit2.

Hold on I have a quick question are we starting off in different rooms or are we in the same room?
Everybody is in the same room.

AO, if I had the spell "Target must run unless naked", would an acceptable alteration be "target must run INTO ROOM unless naked"? If not, I could just go "Target must mop..."->"Target must mop room..."->"Target must mop into room" to get that structure.
"INTO ROOM" would be acceptable addition.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

DragonRage

• Bay Watcher
  • Mwahahahahahahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2017, 04:16:34 pm »

Name:  Vassiliki "Vassi" Fotopoulos
Backstory:  Born in Athens in the late 80s, Vassiliki gravitated towards biology and veterinary school, eventually specializing in reptile medicine.  She worked for the Athens Zoo reptile house, specializing in snakes, until a mishandled Cobra bit one of her colleagues.  Desperate to save him, she ran for the antivenom storage, opened the wrong (or is it the right) door, and ended up standing in the mansion.
Appearance:  Vassi is of average height, with dusky, olive skin and dark brown hair.  She has some curves, but is in very good shape as her job sometimes involves wrestling alligators, flipping tortoises, and other strenuous physical tasks.  A set of scars runs down her right arm from where she was bitten by a caiman during the first months of her zoo work.  She has several other scars as well from various bites and clawings, though these are less visible.  As she works with a lot of venomous species, she's put some effort into building up a resistance to many reptile venoms, and can take a much larger dose without being harmed than an unprepared person would.

(Edit)  Sorry.  The RP filled and started while I was cooking up a character.  Guess I'll save this one for later.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 04:19:46 pm by DragonRage »
"If a lightning bolt can't solve your problems, you aren't being creative enough." - Zoe Walker

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2017, 04:39:34 pm »

EDIT2: Or maybe just "Caster's clothing smells like a skunk". Yeah, let's go with that.
Not really, changing wording than much can be a can of worms that might become a troublesome later on. I prefer that edit2.
Don't worry, I'd already decided that I'd use the edited version. It's more versatile for evolution, anyway.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2017, 05:31:59 pm »

"NONONONONO WHERE THE FUCK I AM, WHERE ARE YOU? W-W-WHY THIS SHIT WON'T OPEN? MY BROTHERS MY BROTHE-the-the-THERS"

*Punch wall control himself to not cry have a mental breakdown and begin talking as if no one is really there*

"Okay, this must be a drug, that junkie in the corner of my hole said that to stop hallucinating we must play along with the trip and find a way out, HEY, YOU... compass Rosie right? So lost as i am? How we can leave this place? Wait, W-w-where are you guys going?"
*Point to Shannon and Jeremiah* (NJW2000 and Darkgamer)

"Go back here, If you know where are you going explain me"

*He talks fast, obviously confused and although he act like he is the boss he is clearly scared as fuck*

change to "Looked target thinks he has twenty minutes to live"
[ yes, with this modification i can threaten somebody without showing that it is me the responsible]

Background
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Magic:
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2017, 05:38:33 pm »

Spoiler: Karl Genver (click to show/hide)

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2017, 07:19:55 pm »

@Omada

"Well, you COULD go back through the door you came in, right? We all came from different places, I guess, so another of the doors should take you to other places. Trying to find out where one of those places go, and how to get back home...that could be fun. But first, though, I need to resupply. There might be some good supplies in one of these rooms. Won't know till I try, though, so let's figure out this place together, ok?"
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2017, 03:09:42 am »

Jeremiah turns to his companion.

"I have no idea where we are, sir. But do not fret; you're merely a figment of my drug-fueled imagination, and hence unkillable."
One wheel short of a wagon

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2017, 03:46:00 am »

Hint of the day: About spell targeting.
Unless specified otherwise, magic effect is delivered as an ethreal projectile fired from caster's palm. This makes aiming important and dodging possible as well as hitting wrong target. The magic projectile doesn't stop until hits valid target or a wall of the room. So make sure to keep your hands intact.
"Named target" requires caster to speak name of the target out loud, and effect takes hold immediately after. "Name" here is one that the target has given to identify itself as. "That idiot" doesn't work unless target has referred itself as such in official capacity.
It isn't a bad idea to have multiple ways to deliver same effect.

Alex was dreaming. That was the only reasonable explanation. The way that he had arrived here by his kitchen door or the manner in which he suddenly had magic powers and knew how they worked all were very typical for dreams. "So I guess I'm dreaming then" he mumbled to himself. Yet something was wrong. It niggled at the back of his mind. He could feel the air enter and exit his lungs... it felt very real. "I am dreaming amn't I?" What if it was real? What of the magic was real? If it was why that spell? It was basically useless. If it was even a slightly different spell then it could actually possibly be useful. Almost as if in response his magic shifted slightly.

Spell evolution: Target thinks he can beat his addiction to air-> Target can beat his addiction to air
Spoiler: Alex's current spells (click to show/hide)
Take one of the torches.

EDIT:
Spoiler: Current spells (click to show/hide)

Shannon couldnt believe his eyes, he was on his way to check on his bike while it was being repaired. However as he entered the store he found himself stranded and alone in a random cavern. At first Shannon thought he was dreaming, that was until he took a step and felt the ground under his foot. He looked around and took one of the torches before thinking about his spells. He modified the spell before walking towards the door on the left hallway.

Spell evolution: Touched target doesn't appear visible to the opposite sex 

"Gosh. This must be a flashback from that time mother put LSD in the cocoa. They said no lasting neurological effects, but one cannot be sure of anything."

Go through the door I'm facing.

If possible, evolve the spell to: Moss and fungus grows on named target's brain.

Spoiler: Jeremiah's spells (click to show/hide)
"So...is this how the fourth dimension works?...hmm...nope, back in 3D. Oh well, might as well make use of this magic. The right spell could bring my backpack back! So...I guess...simple. Target cannot sleep unless naked.. Next'll be Target sleeps...does editing automatically adjust tiny tense changes like that? If not, I could lead into target MUST, or WILL, sleep unless naked. Then I can branch out from sleep into attack, stop, talk, DIE, for emergencies, pass out, for convenience,.. hey, I'm not alone! If anyone here is a long-term resident of this place, I'm Rosie, friends call me Compass Rosie, and please don't show me around.

Alteration is in bold. AO, if I had the spell "Target must run unless naked", would an acceptable alteration be "target must run INTO ROOM unless naked"? If not, I could just go "Target must mop..."->"Target must mop room..."->"Target must mop into room" to get that structure. Anyway, Talk with others, and see if I can notice anything different about the doors or what's beyond them. I know I can't see past them while they're closed, but I may be able to hear or smell something.

Also, a few suggestions for two who may have trouble expanding from their starting spells. If you want help, just ask IC. Warning; help phrased like Rosie is saying it.
Spoiler: Glass (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: NJW (click to show/hide)
"NONONONONO WHERE THE FUCK I AM, WHERE ARE YOU? W-W-WHY THIS SHIT WON'T OPEN? MY BROTHERS MY BROTHE-the-the-THERS"

*Punch wall control himself to not cry have a mental breakdown and begin talking as if no one is really there*

"Okay, this must be a drug, that junkie in the corner of my hole said that to stop hallucinating we must play along with the trip and find a way out, HEY, YOU... compass Rosie right? So lost as i am? How we can leave this place? Wait, W-w-where are you guys going?"
*Point to Shannon and Jeremiah* (NJW2000 and Darkgamer)

"Go back here, If you know where are you going explain me"

*He talks fast, obviously confused and although he act like he is the boss he is clearly scared as fuck*

change to "Looked target thinks he has twenty minutes to live"
[ yes, with this modification i can threaten somebody without showing that it is me the responsible]

Background

Magic:

All freshly minted wizards start evolving their magic pretty much right away. Though for some it requires calming down and collecting theirselves first.

The ancient roman picks up a torch from its holder in wall while listening other people talking. They aren't speaking latin, though some words sound like familiar latin. It's also not a language barbarians speak in his home province, but sounds slightly familiar. Perhaps they are people from other nearby provinces. A translation magic would be very handy in future. While they are all wearing weird clothes, one stands apart with apparent quality that challenges even those of senators. He's obviously a man of authority, or a very rich mechant who isn't afraid to flaunt it.

Young Shannon followed example of the Roman cosplayer and picked up a torch. Looking at the young kid freaking out he calmy chooses to go in opposite end of the room.

Jeremiah, perhaps hoping to return same way as he arrived, turns around to push the door behind him. When it fails to open he pulls it instead and goes through without hesitation. He finds himself in a dark room, similar to the one behind him, however this one is dark and definitely colder. Lack of light makes it hard to see, but he thinks there are shapes painted on walls.
On his left and right are five simple wooden caskets resting on elevated stone slabs. Each slab has grooves engraved on them, making it possible to push planks under caskets so one could lift them up. Closest casket has its lid open and he can see a human shape inside.
Between each casket, directly next to wall, stands a stone statues on pedastal. They are not particularly well detailed, but they give him impression of soldier standing in honor guard. Each statue has a very real looking sword in their hands, held blade up in front of their featureless faces. The swords appear to be loosely held.

Rosie carefully observes the door she came from. There are no light coming from the thin cracks between planks, that's certain. No sounds either, but the kid is freaking out a little too loud to be absolutely certain. And all she can smell is damp dirt beneath her feets. Very inconclusive. But when she peeks into the room Jeremiah went into she isn't very suprised. There might just be similar dark morgues behind every door. Except the doors in both ends of this hallway. They are probably different.

All "Little finger" gets from his wll punching is bloodied knuckles. These wall stones aren't smoothed, and one particular sharp corner causes bleeding cut. Nothing serious though, it will scab over soon.

The door in end of hall where Shannon went to suddenly opens outward, transforming in progress to much higher quality one. Behind the door is a large chamber, well lit and decorated. It features dark smoothed stone walls, completely different architechture, arched ceiling, black and red tapestries. More interestingly there's apparent blood splatters on walls, right behind wall of shield bearing spearmen and archers, all poised to attack you. There's short tense moment before one of better dressed archers says a calm word that none of you understands. The door is closed immediately afterwards, returning back to its boring simple self.

Silence fills the hall.

Spoiler: Rooms (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sheets (click to show/hide)
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2017, 03:54:52 am »

"Well, what do you know? I found some swords. And some dead bodies. This certainly is certainly an interesting experience, though I would like to know what's happening in the real world right now."

Jeremiah goes back to grab a torch and cheerfully ushers people through into the next room. If someone else takes a sword, he does so too. Provided nothing interesting happens in the morgue, he enters the other door.

He also modifies his spell: "Moss and fungus grow on pointed target's brain."

"Perhaps we should all swap names? In a loud, clear voice, pointing at ourselves, for the benefit of non-English speaking hallucinations? I do hope all my hallucinations get along with one another."

Jeremiah does so first, pointing at himself and carefully enunciating, "Jeh-rem-eye-yah. Jeremiah."

Spoiler: Jeremiah (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 11:23:01 am by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2017, 05:11:20 am »

"Huh interesting" mumbled Alex absent mindedly. He wandered into the room Jeremiah was ushering him into as if in a daze. He wasn't really paying any attention. His mind was laser focused on the topic of magic at the moment. He had a tendency to be completely absorbed by a singular train of thought that excluded all else. Even ponderings on the nature of this dream had been pushed aside. Magic. Magic. Magic. Thoughts of magic echoed in his mind. Magic was like clock work it seemed, different parts or words could be swapped out like gears and cogs to make a new different machine. Yes it was something he could be good at something he could control...
Spell evolution: Target can beat his addiction to air-> Target can control his addiction to air

Jeremiah's loud clear request for names managed to break him from his reverie "Oh, oh, I haven't introduced myself? I'm so sorry normally in my dreams I don't need to. Anyway I am Alexandar Baine, or Alex if you prefer," he looked around the room he was in as if seeing it for the first time "Anyone have any idea where we are?"

Spoiler: Alex's current spells (click to show/hide)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2017, 07:30:21 am »

Spoiler: Octavian Grey (click to show/hide)
Modification: Caster's clothing acts like a skunk. My assumption here is that we'll now have moving clothing.

Enter the morgue.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20