Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20

Author Topic: World Trek: Evolving Magic  (Read 25560 times)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
World Trek: Evolving Magic
« on: July 26, 2017, 07:38:56 am »

Infinity Mansion : Evolving Magic

The Game

You know those people who go out and never come back? These normal guys and gals, going out to do something completely mundane, perhaps shopping, perhaps visit friends, maybe to take out trash, they leave their house and are never heard of again. Did you ever wonder what happened to them? Well, wonder no longer, you are about to find out. Personally.

Welcome to the Infinity Mansion! This mansion has more rooms than there are stars in the known universe. Every time you open a door, it leads to different room. Sometimes people accidentally wander in, merely by opening the wrong door at wrong time and walking through without thinking about it. And since the Infinity Mansion is a place of magic, new inhabitants are granted a spell of their own. Because without magic one cannot possibly hope to find way out, even if they want to (some people rather stay there than try to leave).

So there you are, in a room that has no right to be where it is. The door you came through shut itself.

There's no plot other than you create for yourself. You may want to find your way back to your home on Earth, or maybe you want to become a master of the Infinite Mansion, or otherwise exploit it.

Magic

In this game, as it's name implies, magic evolves. You start with a single random spell. Each turn you can create new spell that's a slightly altered copy of some spell you already know, by changing, removing or adding a part. For example if your starting spell is "Caster's teeth glow in the dark" you can create new one that's "Caster's fingers glow in the dark", further changing it to "Caster's fingers glow" and finally "Caster's fingers fire lasers". Alternatively you could go "Caster's teeth glow in the dark" -> "Caster's teeth glow in danger" -> "Caster's teeth are shielded in danger" -> "Caster is shielded in danger". In case of adding parts I reserve right to randomize it. In the end resulting spell must be sufficiently descriptive about what it does.

So each turn your spell collection grows more and more your liking. Of course if half of your spell book is useless weird spells, you can always drop any of them out to keep it clean. There are other ways to gain new spells, but those are even more random. Or more predictable.

Each spell also has a casting rate to balance them. Powerful spells "Mass murder" or "Wish" are balanced how often you can cast them, and that's defined as <casts per room>. That means you can cast some broken spells perhaps 5 times in a room and more powerful ones once every fifth room or so. As the game revolves around wandering in endless series of random rooms it's in your best interest to keep opening new doors. Due random nature of the spells balancing is too more or less random. I do my best to keep it sensible, but it won't be easy. I may have to rebalance them later on.

Your spells can grow as powerful, complex and detailed as you want, but they start as "spent". Meaning you can't cast your new "Caster becomes god almighty" spell before walking through thousand rooms. And if you want to speed up that process... Well, it is as they say: Where there's a will, there's a way.

Joining

Joining works under "first come, first serve" principle. What I want from you is:

Code: (Character Sheep) [Select]
[b]Name[/b]:
[b]Background[/b]:
[b]Appearance[/b]: Human. At the very least.

Waitlist

List of people waiting players to die horribly and quickly. Because The Mansion can be very deadly too.

ATHATH
Roboson
FallacyofUrist
Whisperling
DragonRage
Puppyguard
johiah
PaPaj
Shadestyle
Person
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 08:01:37 am by AoshimaMichio »
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Infinity Mansion : Evolving Magic
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 07:52:22 am »

Name: Jeremiah Swift
Background: Jeremiah is the child of two art critics, born in the early sixties. Due to the general pervasion of hallucinogens and other mood-altering substances, not even his parents noticed his deformity until he was fourteen, at which point it was far too late to do anything about it. After a bohemian childhood spent in seclusion in the woods surrounded by hippies and other counterculture types, Jeremiah graduated with honours and went into finance, artfully concealing his unusal physique. Ten years of bank work assured his prosperity, but the endless secrecy required to retained his position bored him beyond measure. Finally, something in Jeremiah snapped, at which point he no longer tried to hide his deformity, and entered the infinite mansion.
Appearance: Jeremiah is a tall, gaunt man, initially clad in a quiet blue suit. His skin is a rich light brown, and his fingers are well manicured. His shoes are brown leather, well-polished and slightly too elegant for the trousers. His black wool socks bear a green diamond pattern, and he has a pineapple for a head.

Or, if this is unacceptable, Jeremiah is a perfectly formed member of the human race.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 10:51:48 am by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 08:04:20 am »

I'll take a reserve, please.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 08:40:12 am »

Name:Baine Killmax
Background: Baine Killmax is from a grimdark reality where everyone is grimacing all the time, everyone is hard bitten and gravel voiced and a knife isn't a knife unless it's two sizes larger than everyone else's knife.(Baine has the largest knife) Mr Killmax is a freshly retired veteran of a bloody war without end but he is so good the brass want him back! All because he's the only dude tough enough to stop the Fedora Federation's invasion! He skilled with all weapons imaginable (or so his file says but his inability to obey trigger discipline and repeated attempts to one handed hip fire a light machine gun call that in to question). He has spent thirty years of his twenty-eight year life as a member of the most elite unit of the special forces the 'Screamers' These terrifying soldiers would charge headlong into battle screaming and yelling at the top of their lungs while completely disregarding cover. Baine Killmax is the only one left from his old unit.
Apperance: Baine's most notable feature is his knife. It is strapped to his back and is so big it occasionally scrapes the floor. He is strapped with comical amounts of guns, ammo and pouches. His muscled and heavily scarred chest is bare except for all the ammo draped across it. His face could have been handsome before it got covered in vicious looking scars. He is a muscled giant of a man that communicates mostly in testosterone fueled grunts and guttural noises.

Name: Alexander Baine
Background: Alex is a watchmaker. He tends to be obsessive about things and generally keeps to himself. He's not good at social situations but he is fantastic at mechanics and mechinisms.
Apperance: Alex is a tall willowy man, with long dexterous fingers. His black hair is going grey and signs of middle age are present on his face.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 11:02:49 am by Jerick »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 09:37:47 am »

Name: Jack Frost

Background: Originating in a magic-soaked dimension, he was born in the frozen wastes to a tribe of people who were made of snow (not "snowmen", they look like normal humans, but they're made of snow), son of the chieftain. When his father died, he rose to the position, but it was only for a short duration, as the Empire of Steel (populated by metal people) soon invaded and conquered their land. As many of their neighboring tribes were slaughtered, Jack made a political agreement: they would peacefully join the empire under the condition that they would receive all the same legal protections as the normal citizenry. The agreement was approved, and since then, Jack has worked at integrating both his tribe and other conquered peoples into society - until recently, when, while going out to meet with a group of sand men, he made a wrong turn and ended up in the Infinity Mansion.
Note: in case it wasn't clear, everything from this universe (or at least, every living thing) is an elemental of some variety.

Appearance: He's mostly made of snow, though his feet have a great deal of dirt in them, he has eyes and hair made of ice, and he wears steel gauntlets, representative of his position as a government employee in the Empire of Steel. His clothing is made mostly of the icy skin of the freezebeasts his tribe used to hunt, with enchantments made to help him endure above-freezing temperatures to allow him to survive the normal temperature range of the Empire of Steel (reaching up to boiling temperatures). Like most members of his world, he has no mouth or nose, speaking through magical means, and consuming raw arcane energy. He is reknowned for his intellect and sophistication.

Unfortunately, not my actual character. Go look for Octavian Grey.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 01:26:47 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 10:36:56 am »

Ah, yes. I forgot to be specific. My apologies.

...These normal guys and gals...
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 10:39:52 am »

I'm pretty sure that only NJW's is not normal. The rest of us are bog-standard for our home universes.

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 10:42:40 am »

Reserve, please.
Quote from: AoshimaMichio
Oh no, you won't laser my death star.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 10:42:48 am »

I'm not quite sure where the "home-universes" idea came from; apart from the GM's wish to have his game broken mechanics-wise.
One wheel short of a wagon

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 10:47:07 am »

I'm on a phone, so I can't edit this down well; the part I'm stressing will be bolded and red. It's up by the top.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
By reffering to "your own reality", it's implied that there's multiple realities.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 10:51:30 am »

Here's my sheet. Her "ability" is purely for flavor, and will likely mean nothing to the game itself. The contents of her backpack are also meant for flavor (especially the snack bars (heh)), but if you think I shouldn't have certain objects in there, let me know, and i'll probably edit it out.

Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 10:59:57 am »

I'm on a phone, so I can't edit this down well; the part I'm stressing will be bolded and red. It's up by the top.
By reffering to "your own reality", it's implied that there's multiple realities.

Ah, I see it now. It didn't occur to me you could interpret it that way. My though context was completely grounded in our own lovely Earth. Since that's remedied now, let's try again.
Old sigs.
Games.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 11:05:09 am »

Almost completely changed my entry so it's a little more reasonable for something that came from our world.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 11:07:27 am »

But our own lovely earth is boring. :'(

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 11:52:11 am »

But our own lovely earth is boring. :'(

Isn't it good then you don't have to go back there?

It doesn't really have to be our Earth, as long as it is relatively normal human and don't bring weapons along.
Old sigs.
Games.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20