Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20

Author Topic: World Trek: Evolving Magic  (Read 25963 times)

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
Re: Infinity Mansion : Evolving Magic
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2017, 02:49:57 pm »

Is it that, when adding to a spell, larger/more notable addition may be random? Anyway, next is "Target immediately transforms into room unless naked".
"Good, we'll need more clothes at some point. The right spell may even make this armor more comfortable. Maybe that larper even knows how to adjust them himself. Couldn't hurt to ask". Rosie heads over to "filthy room" to look for Octavian.Ick....So., Mr. 300, can you...  Looking through the door to the Treasure room..."Well...you two might not want to be in that room much longer...I got it! I literally have the perfect spell for this! Maybe".
Rosie casts Spell #5 on Alex and Jeremiah through the doorway (if they're not able to escape on their own, or aren't escaping fast enough), then steps to the side to let them through, if they end up going to this room instead of the room on the other side.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 03:05:49 pm by OceanSoul »
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2017, 03:03:05 pm »

Jeremiah rushes back into the Filthy Room and collapses. Then he opens another door and goes through if it's not dangerous.

Change spell to "Plate and wings grow on named targets back".

"Do. Not. Take things. Ever. Lesson. Learned. Nobody touch. The potions."

Also maybe someone should drag that Alex fellow out. I'm not going back in there though, the air hates me."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 04:30:02 pm by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2017, 03:08:16 pm »

-rendered moot-
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 03:26:06 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2017, 03:10:33 pm »

Jeremiah rushes back into the Filthy Room and collapses. He slams the door against the statues if necessary. If they are already in the Filthy Room, or are not behaving aggressively, he opens another door.

"Do. Not. Take things. Ever. Lesson. Learned."

Please, NJW, REMEMBER to make spell edits. You get only 1 per turn, so you won't know their worth until you realize how little you can actually do relative to the other players. If you're not sure what edits to make, I can help out.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2017, 03:20:07 pm »

Whoops. Thanks, I do keep forgetting.
One wheel short of a wagon

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2017, 03:21:11 pm »

(Poor Alex keeps getting punished for other people's decisions :( Also are you able to target yourself with a target spell?)
Spell Evolution: Target can control his blood-> Target can regenerate his blood

Alex gasped for breath desperately. He crawled a few feet on his hands and knees wracked with pain. His hand reached feebly for the other door in the treasure room. He tried to speak "..., ..." but with no air in his lungs no words were produced. He looked to Jeremiah silently pleading for help. Panicked tears filled his eyes. He was dying.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 03:27:07 pm by Jerick »

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2017, 03:28:01 pm »

(Poor Alex keeps getting punished for other people's decisions :( Also are you able to target yourself with a spell?)
Spell Evolution: Target can control his blood-> Target can regenerate his blood

Alex gasped for breath desperately. He crawled a few feet on his hands and knees wracked with pain. His hand reached feebly for the other door in the treasure room. He tried to speak "..., ..." but with no air in his lungs no words were produced. He looked to Jeremiah silently pleading for help. Panicked tears filled his eyes. He was dying.
Wow, a 1-2 ability combo. Might want to tack on "permanently" to them sooner than later so you can get some edgy abilities sooner or later. Also, might want to make Caster versions instead of Target to provide reduced cooldowns.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2017, 03:31:03 pm »

Quote from: omada
Name: "Little finger"

Appearance: Small, dark hair and dirty looks full of energy as any teenager

Spells:
1 - "Pointed target thinks he has only 20 minutes to live", 1/2, 1
2 - "Looked target thinks he has only 20 minutes to live", 1/2, 1
3 - "Pointed target thinks he has only 20 minutes to kill", 1/2, 1
4 - "Pointed target has only 20 minutes to live", 1/5, -3
5 - "Looked target thinks he has 20 minutes to live", 1/2, -1

So, when i was transforming i tried to delete the maximum of words possible (I don't know if there is limit of one word or something per turn to delete stuff)

I will still trying continue to delete words as shown on the spoiler

"Looked target thinks he has 20 minutes to live"> "Looked target thinks"

"There must be someone here ,not only wind"

Cast spell 1- "Pointed target thinks he has only 20 minutes to live" on the air near the next cut he sees (Taking care to not shoot the spell on Alex or Jeremiah)
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2017, 03:34:29 pm »

Wow, a 1-2 ability combo. Might want to tack on "permanently" to them sooner than later so you can get some edgy abilities sooner or later. Also, might want to make Caster versions instead of Target to provide reduced cooldowns.
They do make a neat combo don't they. Though honestly I wasn't even thinking in terms of anything but 'how do I with the magic I have find the quickest way to stop Alex from bleeding to death?'

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2017, 03:38:01 pm »

Also are you able to target yourself with a target spell?
I'd also like to know this. It'll have quite a bit of impact on how quickly I'm going to be able to evolve some of my spells, and what priority I'll put on them.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 31, 2017, 05:24:00 am »

General answers post.

Is it that, when adding to a spell, larger/more notable addition may be random?

Randomizing additions run under rule "depending how I feel", but you are mostly right; small additions don't usually warrant randomization.

Also are you able to target yourself with a target spell?

As I mentioned before, if spell target is referred simply as "target" then the spell fires visible but ethreal bolt from caster's palm making it essentially aimed spell. So yes, you can aim yourself as long as you can move your hands. But since those golems are pretty strong, some of your cuts are down to bone, severing muscles, tendons and nerves. I'll probaby roll a dice to see if you can target yourself or not.

And that's why it's a good idea to have multiple differently targeted versions of the same spell, because you can be paralysed, blinded, silenced and knocked out.

So, when i was transforming i tried to delete the maximum of words possible (I don't know if there is limit of one word or something per turn to delete stuff)

Deletion/addition/alteration doesn't work on per word basis, but more per section. For example your starter spell could be broken into following sections: <Pointed target> <thinks> <he has only 20 minutes> <to live>. It could be broken on other ways too, but spell target is one definite section and you can change it quite many ways in one turn. <thinks> makes major difference how the spell works so it counts as a section. You could add number of conditionals there to determine if spell works as mere illusion or for real. <he has only 20 minutes> is a section that sets time limit for the spell, though it could be thought as one section with <thinks> too. And finally <to live> is another major section of the spell that can be changed in many ways, for example to <to kill random person>, <to swim in ceiling>, or <to live> <unless he does something>.

So while mutating magic works as traditional Word Morph Game, it's more on functional meta level rather than literally changing a single word at the time. It can sometimes get rather fuzzy and unclear, even for me. Using your latest alteration as example: "<Looked target> <thinks> <he has 20 minutes> <to live>" --> "<Looked target> <thinks>". It looks like you are removing two sections at once, but if you remove only one section the end result doesn't make any sense. "Looked target thinks he has 20 minutes". 20 minutes what? And "Looked target thinks to live" doesn't make sense either. So it makes sense to think "he has 20 minutes to live" as one section to remove in this context because final spell "Looked target thinks" is sensible spell that grants sapience to inanimate object, or perphaps wakes up sleeping or unconscious person.

I hope this helps instead of confusing people even more.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 31, 2017, 07:10:37 am »

Name: Tim McGraw
Background: Originally a talented singer, he opened the door to go to a concert one day, and instead entered this place... Wherever here is.
Appearance: I look like this. But more confused.

Finally got around to making this and forgot my original idea.
Quote from: AoshimaMichio
Oh no, you won't laser my death star.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 31, 2017, 08:21:17 am »

Deletion/addition/alteration doesn't work on per word basis, but more per section. For example your starter spell could be broken into following sections: <Pointed target> <thinks> <he has only 20 minutes> <to live>. It could be broken on other ways too, but spell target is one definite section and you can change it quite many ways in one turn. <thinks> makes major difference how the spell works so it counts as a section. You could add number of conditionals there to determine if spell works as mere illusion or for real. <he has only 20 minutes> is a section that sets time limit for the spell, though it could be thought as one section with <thinks> too. And finally <to live> is another major section of the spell that can be changed in many ways, for example to <to kill random person>, <to swim in ceiling>, or <to live> <unless he does something>.

So while mutating magic works as traditional Word Morph Game, it's more on functional meta level rather than literally changing a single word at the time. It can sometimes get rather fuzzy and unclear, even for me. Using your latest alteration as example: "<Looked target> <thinks> <he has 20 minutes> <to live>" --> "<Looked target> <thinks>". It looks like you are removing two sections at once, but if you remove only one section the end result doesn't make any sense. "Looked target thinks he has 20 minutes". 20 minutes what? And "Looked target thinks to live" doesn't make sense either. So it makes sense to think "he has 20 minutes to live" as one section to remove in this context because final spell "Looked target thinks" is sensible spell that grants sapience to inanimate object, or perphaps wakes up sleeping or unconscious person.

I hope this helps instead of confusing people even more.

This helped, and you even gave me ideas *Evil laughter*

So, last turn i could had deleted everything till "Looked target thinks" and now i can do "Looked target thinks" >
"Looked target heals" ? <3

(If i can't right now whatever, next turn i already know what to do  :P)
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

darkgamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 31, 2017, 09:00:12 am »

Shannon goes back to the door he was just at, the knowledge that the others are still there helps.

Spell change: Touched target doesn't appear understandable to any person > Touched target does appear understandable to any person

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 31, 2017, 11:05:12 am »

Wait, does this mean I can change "Caster's clothing" directly to "target"? Because if so, I'd rather make that change than from "Caster's clothing" to the intermediary "target's clothing".
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20