Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Disabling Windows 10 Spyware from Microsoft  (Read 2882 times)

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Disabling Windows 10 Spyware from Microsoft
« on: July 26, 2017, 06:14:37 pm »

Just bought a new laptop. Tragically, it has windows 10 (only choice).

I created an offline account, refused to share any information they didn't absolutely force me to.

How do I disable what I assume is spyware built into this thing?

What is "Cortana" and how do I kill her?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Disabling Windows 10 Spyware from Microsoft
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 06:33:46 pm »

Have you tried doing a handstand while holding it?  A guy in the forum had a similar problem and he reported that it fixed his PC. It's worth a try, IMO
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 06:49:05 pm »

No, but I've disconnected everything I can find on this laptop so far. Offline account (Microsoft will not have my info easily), and every privacy setting I can find.

Can't seem to kill Cortana in the task manager without her springing back up. I'll hunt her down in the registry and kill her there if I have to.

How do I register Office 2016 without creating a microsoft account using an email address, phone number etc?

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 07:10:59 pm by Transcendant »

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 07:35:22 pm »

If you completely disable Cortana, just be aware you can no longer use the windows menu to search.

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 07:59:13 pm »

There are 3rd party search features, but yeah.... Doesn't actually bother me much in any event.

It's not really the program's fault, but I just feel so damn spied on by everything in this new computer. I turned off every ad feature I could find and opted out of everything (that wasn't easy to find) possible.

I paid over $1,000 for this computer and I just want to use it without being watched constantly. That's really all.

The thought of it tracking my every keystroke is frankly new and terrifying.

Now I'm trying to just activate the one time payment license for Word 2016 (NOT 365) I got. It's seemingly demanding that I create a Microsoft account just for Word.... I look at the license agreement and it says Office 365! What? I paid extra not to have the subscription thing.

I bought and paid for a one time, not a subscription service.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 08:03:30 pm by Transcendant »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 11:00:18 pm »

The only way to completely (and by that I mean, actually, completely NO DATA GOES TO MICROSOFT AT ALL completely, and not "all the options windows gives you, while still sending everything about your computer to the mothership" completely) prevent win10 from contacting the mothership is to impose very harsh restrictions at the router.

Unless you are familiar with programming routing tables, and really enjoy pretending to be a LAN administrator for a fortune 500, while administering a rinkydink home router instead, this is not a task for normal end users, and probably not something to mention.

The official answer from Microsoft is "F*CK You, we want *ALL* the data, and you **WILL** use the windows app store!!". Any and all options to disable telemetry on win10 are ignored in anything but AD controlled corporate systems with appropriate licenses, and EVEN THEN, *SOME* telemetry still gets sent.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 01:37:45 am »

Microsoft made it. They have a right to know what you type.  For all they know you're all terrorists writing each other about terrorist deeds.  To have Microsoft police your actions is a reasonable compromise between liberty and security
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 03:29:34 am »

Can I "downgrade" to windows 7?

OEM preinstalled windows 10....

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 03:44:45 am »

If the EFI firmware supports legacy boot, AND, the system's SATA controller has win7 drivers, YES.

Assuming you have a win7 install disc and number.

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 04:15:09 am »

It came pre loaded with windows 10 Home from Dell.

I will pay for windows 7 if I have to. I've always had OEM versions of windows come with machines I bought; never purchased separately.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 04:57:22 am »

The number is the big thing. You can legally download installable disc images direct from microsoft, but you need a legit number to use them legitimately.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 09:27:35 am »

This has been a rampant issue even going towards commercial users. In the old days as long as you had the pro edition it was easy to disable these functions simply through group policy but Microsoft has decided they want to stunt the usage of making your own security policies.

At this point you have two options, you could somehow upgrade towards Enterprise edition which allows you to truly turn off the telemetrics, Cortana Search, and the windows store.

Another option is to run a script that will disable the services https://github.com/10se1ucgo/DisableWinTracking *NOTE* DO NOT DELETE THESE SERVICES ONLY DISABLE

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 06:50:46 pm »

Basically a product key? I wonder if Best Buy or somebody even sells something like windows 7 in a box anymore. Will have to check.

In the meantime, I've basically disabled all information gathering items I can find under "settings." Opted out of everything.... Used Firefox instead of "Edge."

I'm a little worried about the Microsoft word registration requiring me to have a microsoft account.... I find it really odd but I couldn't even open up Word without it.
Again, I paid extra for the Office 2016 version that Dell said was one time pay....

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2017, 08:55:05 pm »

This is why I use an Apple computer.

Down with Windows.

I'm curious, would the computer still steal your data if you ran Linux on it?
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2017, 09:11:57 pm »

Basically a product key? I wonder if Best Buy or somebody even sells something like windows 7 in a box anymore. Will have to check.

In the meantime, I've basically disabled all information gathering items I can find under "settings." Opted out of everything.... Used Firefox instead of "Edge."

I'm a little worried about the Microsoft word registration requiring me to have a microsoft account.... I find it really odd but I couldn't even open up Word without it.
Again, I paid extra for the Office 2016 version that Dell said was one time pay....
Depends on which version of office you installed, there should be a small text somewhere to enter in a product key at that login window.

This is why I use an Apple computer.

Down with Windows.

I'm curious, would the computer still steal your data if you ran Linux on it?
Hows that icloud account?
Pages: [1] 2