Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46]

Author Topic: When Kickstarter Goes Right  (Read 87889 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter Goes Right
« Reply #675 on: August 12, 2017, 05:00:48 pm »

Necromancy time!

Do people enjoy pixel-art turn-based tactical RPGs with a healthy dose of guild-management and a pinch of grimdark?

This may be something you want to look at. And yes, they are fully aware that Darkest Dungeon exists and cite it as an inspiration :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: August 12, 2017, 05:09:06 pm »

Necromancy time!

Do people enjoy pixel-art turn-based tactical RPGs with a healthy dose of guild-management and a pinch of grimdark?

This may be something you want to look at. And yes, they are fully aware that Darkest Dungeon exists and cite it as an inspiration :P

You know what I love about this game's art style? The proportions.

It actually looks like old time pixel aesthetics. People's heads are not huge. Their limbs are closer to actual human proportions than not. There's no real deliberately exaggerated parts of the character designs. Even their weapons are down to earth.

It's hard for me to understate how much that affects my ability to get in to games that bill themselves with a serious aesthetic. And because cartooning has become the de facto look of indie games lately. DD was near the edge for me but the rest of the art style made up for it.

That said the inspiration from DD in this game might be a little too on the nose for me. But I'd be ready to see more. I don't think I'll back because it hasn't reached the required level of hype for me to risk on another Kickstarter but it looks good. I also might not be totally in love with it also because I've recently been looking at Blasphemous.

Still, I love that specific style of pixel art. It hits the right notes between retro and detailed for me. Like, their spell animations actually look cool and interestingly retro while still being detailed.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 05:13:15 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: August 12, 2017, 05:13:54 pm »

Yeah, I like the way they're drawing and animating the people too. Reminds me of some of those old (or "old school) point-and-click adventure games.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46]