Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: su - forums # Linux thread!  (Read 2244 times)

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
su - forums # Linux thread!
« on: July 28, 2017, 01:19:17 pm »

Well, we had one, now its dead. Lets try again shall we?

To start, im simply going to share my desktop, because why not.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: su - forums # Linux thread!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 03:55:23 pm »

Obligatory rant on why Linux will never be a common consumer OS.

Code: [Select]
user@somehost:~ # pm2 restart something
-bash: pm2: command not found
user@somehost:~ # sudo pm2 restart something
user@somehost:~ # su -c "pm2 restart something"
user@somehost:~ # sudo -c "pm2 restart something"
user@somehost:~ # sudo bash -c "pm2 restart something"
user@somehost:~ # sudo bash -c "source /root/.bashrc; pm2 restart something"
user@somehost:~ # sudo bash -c "source /root/.bash_profile; pm2 restart something"
user@somehost:~ # su  -c "source /root/.bashrc; pm2 restart something"
user@somehost:~ # su  -c "source /root/.bash_profile; pm2 restart something"
user@somehost:~ # sudo su -
root@somehost:~ # pm2 restart something
[pm2 restarting something]
root@somehost:~ # echo ">:("
>:(

I never did figure out why I couldn't run PM2 commands without literally starting a new interactive shell, which wasn't going to work from my Ansible playbook.  Probably something with the root user's .bashrc or .bash_profile, but boy was I too tired to bother figuring it out.

And back to your regularly scheduled, non rant filled discussion about Linux.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 05:57:40 pm »

I need to wipe this laptop and reinstall.

For a while it worked great, then it rarely had a kernel panic when connected to the internet (never any other time). The I did some things, installed some software, etc. and it started locking up with some pixels the wrong color.

The kernel panics and the lockups act the same, except the panics blinked the capslock light, and the lockups cause some things on screen to be drawn weird.

I'm hoping that a clean install, with only the software I actually use, will restore stability...

Does anyone know of a good minimalist desktop distribution? I don't want to install piecemeal (so not Arch), but I don't want much in the way of preinstalled stuff either. I will be installing my own editor, my own browser (unless chrome is already default) and my own... well, everything I care about on this PC.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 06:21:22 pm by milo christiansen »
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 03:21:12 am »

How minimalist, and for what kind of hardware?

I am currently driving GalliumOS, which is an xubuntu fork tailored specifically for chromebook hardware.  My hardware is basically the very definition of low end, but it works quite well.

(for reference, my Celes is packing the following "mighty" hardware specs:  2gb RAM, 32GB eMMC based SSD, dual core celeron N3050 clocked at 1.6ghz, Intel integrated graphics (Braswell), Intel high def audio.  In addition to the weaksauce non-upgradeable "SSD", I have a class 10 128gb SDCard inserted into the slot, mounted as /home.  I have a tmpfs mount providing scratch space for the browser cache so that the browser does not nuke the SDCard. (had that problem earlier. After putting tmpfs there, no problems. Right as rain.)

With zram swap doing its thing, this Celes (Samsung chromebook 3) runs pretty much like any other netbook I have used previously, and gets INSANE battery life, 8 hours ACTIVE USE per charge.

On a more off topic note, a neighbor girl wanted me to juice up her Falco (HP Chromebook 14). The Falco has an ACTUAL M.2 based SSD inside!! It also supports full UEFI firmware replacement to make it into a bona-fide netbook. Sadly, it comes with a terrible 16gb SATA based M.2 SSD. I have successfully gotten it to accept win8.1 with classic shell, Office 2016, and Firefox, all crammed into that tiny little storage. Poor thing, I had to turn NTFS compression on for the entire drive to make it all fit. It has a whopping 1.5gb of free space left. Just barely enough to "use" it for doing internet things, and writing documents.  That is what she wanted it to do though, as she did not like being married to google docs/google drive, and thus the internet to do her homework.  I will suggest that she drop me 65$ bucks for a proper M.2 SSD to insert into the slot.  I will use disk imaging to image the 16gb module, push the image onto the new module, then expand the partition if she decides to take up the offer.   

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 08:43:59 am »

Well, the only things that laptop runs that I use are:

A) Sublime Text
B) Chrome
C) Deluge
D) Discord
E) A SMB client
F) OpenVPN
G) Archive manager
H) A media player, currently Banshee.
I) A small selection of command line programs, some custom.

I don't use anything else, so pretty darn minimal, just so long as it runs on a crappy HP.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 08:57:15 am »

Adding my info, as a PTW....

I'm needing to redo a server (it'll be Arch), I tend to like Fedora desktops, until a change in direction a few years ago (so my standalone workstation is about 10 full versions behind the current release, doing what I want without having to mess about with a more 'groovy' Spin) and I've got some USB bootables covering both specific functions (gparted, some othe problem-fixers, various security checkers, etc) and just running minimal 'all round' distros (Puppy tends to be my first choice in that regard).

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 09:48:12 am »

I'm not sure, but maybe something like the xen hypervisor would do what you want?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 10:31:23 am »

(though I can't imagine that my intended use is what they were going for in the development of that software, but oh well)
Chroot-jail style Honeypot/Deception-or-diversion systems. Quick turnaround upon fail-overs (re-instantiate without hardware reboot delays, or restart/unpause on replacement hardware). Rapid/automated testing of system-level changes. Multiple "machines in a machine" (including virtual honeynets, see previous, etc). Easy external monitoring/rollbackability of a subsystem...
I
One OS on another, like you're asking for, is just one of the many uses. And it's by far not the worse "I have a hammer, now I just need everything I'm doing to look like a nail" example. It is a nail, and you just need to work out what the right size of hammer is that you need... ;)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 07:45:35 pm »

I was considering xen for my next system, but I would need two graphics cards, one for Windows and one for Linux since I want to be able to game in either one.

I like Linux for day-to-day, but sadly WINE just can't handle certain games...

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 09:28:28 am »

Sad but true.  On the other hand it's not like there's any shortage of games.  ;)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 10:03:04 pm »

Well hell I'll bump the thread because why not.

Recently upgraded archenstein completely (i3-3220 on h61 with 8 gb ddr3-1600 to g4620 on b250 with 8 gb ddr4-2400, both using the super cheap gt 730 I got a while back, the 1 gb gddr5 version of course, also swapped my 21" acer tn monitor for a 23" lenovo ips monitor... holy gods I love it) and it didn't miss a beat.

I'm terrified at this point because I no longer have any clue how to install arch, but I can completely rebuild my kde/plasma5/wayland setup from the command line when all else fails, and it has, so I've got that going for me.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 10:06:14 pm »

I have never really used an arch based distro before. Always used debian based ones.

What is the major advantage to using arch?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 10:10:18 pm »

Getting to say you use arch?

It doesn't earn you as much beardcred as gentoo or from-scratch naturally, but you get a bit of beardcred from the fact that you gotta stick it together like a box of mismatched legos, megablocks, a few lincoln logs, uh, I think that's a puzzle piece... is that a kitten? Anybody lose a kitten in my distro? No? I'm keeping it.

Really it's just that it's a rolling release so any time I want I can be on the newest version just by running a pacman -Syu and letting the update roll in.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2017, 04:30:54 am »

I have never really used an arch based distro before. Always used debian based ones.

What is the major advantage to using arch?

I was going to be cheeky and just reply with the one-worder: 'ArchWiki'. 

But thinking there's a bit more here...

The community rocks. 
If a package exists in the linux world it's almost certainly in the AUR.
Rolling release so always up to date with the latest.
Whatever DE you want, use it.

The downside (if you can call it that) is a degree more self-reliance.  It's your system after all.

So, uh, what MaxTM said.  If ya gotta have a beard, grow your own.  :P

p.s. pacman -Syyu  less !fun!

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 09:44:08 am »

Ok, this may seem like a stupid question, but how can I discover a second device on a public network using mint?

I have a raspberry pi I would like to use for something, but I want to run it headless and control it via SSH from a laptop running linux mint. I can get the pi to connect on startup fine, but how do I find its ip? I would prefer not to do anything that will get a paranoid admin on my ass...

Is there some way to broadcast a "trigger" to all hosts on a network? I can write my own tools if I need to, but I'm not all that knowledgeable about networks aside from the basics.
Pages: [1] 2