Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Ways to drag enemies?  (Read 8377 times)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
Ways to drag enemies?
« on: July 28, 2017, 05:13:14 pm »

Is it possible to wrestle and pull someone while retaining your grip, pulling them along with you?
If you can fly (I'm currently enjoying the advantages of being a peregrine falcon man), can you pull them up with you?
That would be great - swoop down into a group of goblins, grab one, and abduct him into the air to deal with him somewhere else.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ways to drag enemies?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 06:57:23 pm »

I'm afraid not yet, though no doubt it will be added with multi-tile monsters, so they can throw you across the map. Right now your ability to move opponents is limited to pushing them with charge, jump, throw, and none of these work on an unconscious target.

I know in fortress mode they can drag creatures and prisoners to cages, pits and zones, and they carry wounded to the hospital, so the code support should already be there.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 07:30:16 am »

That would be great - swoop down into a group of goblins, grab one, and abduct him into the air to deal with him somewhere else.

You wouldn't just grab him and drag the goblin like 50 z-levels up, then release?
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 10:32:27 am »

I can't wait to see the forum threads popping : "my legendary adventurer got grabbed by a roc and now I'm 50z above ground, what do I do" :D

When it happens, flying creatures will become insanely powerful

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 10:49:28 am »

You wouldn't just grab him and drag the goblin like 50 z-levels up, then release?
True... although I'd also ensure he was 50z above another goblin.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 05:41:45 pm »

And then he parries the other goblin and becomes a superhero.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 06:52:22 pm »

I can't wait to see the forum threads popping : "my legendary adventurer got grabbed by a roc and now I'm 50z above ground, what do I do" :D
"Evolve your own wings... "
When it happens, flying creatures will become insanely powerful
I imagine something could be calculated like all (vertical? Any ground+Z non-downward translation?) movement speed halved for every additional quantity of mass (armour, clothing, baggage and anything/one gripped) one carries equal to a set given fraction of your unadorned person..? Perhaps minus the "hover necessity" value.

(Bad wings might not even be able to keep your unadorned and naked self up. But could count as sufficient to reduce falling speeds, like a parachute or even an actual skydiving wingsuit...)

I'm sure that a suitably-tuned calculation behind the scenes could force your bog-standard birdman to choose between being  Death From Above (but vulnerable, and leaving the (suitably tailored?) backpack on a ledge somewhere, for the suration of the attack) or just being armour plated as you merely attempt to flee with the three elephant corpses secreted about your person...

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 10:28:27 pm »

Usually, when you drop anything other than a wall on people, they dodge it like if you were jumping at them. Unless they were trapped in a 2 z-level pit or something.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 10:57:57 pm »

Usually, when you drop anything other than a wall on people, they dodge it like if you were jumping at them. Unless they were trapped in a 2 z-level pit or something.
That's pretty entertaining too, you could rain leaves down on them just to watch them dance. With luck and persistence they could jump right were you want them.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2017, 11:03:12 pm »

That's pretty entertaining too, you could rain leaves down on them just to watch them dance. With luck and persistence they could jump right were you want them.
Except items usually pass through AFAIK.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 12:15:06 am »

Except items usually pass through AFAIK.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 01:04:55 am »

I'd imagine that even if you could pick up another creature while flying, it would be pretty tiring. That would be a pretty major limiting factor. Of course that applies much less to things like Rocs, with a much larger body mass than the victim.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 07:51:03 pm »

Climb up and ride it, obviously.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 07:52:55 pm »

Climb up and ride it, obviously.
Be sure to get your own grasp on it BEFORE breaking its hold, though.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2017, 08:01:30 pm »

With multi-tile monsters I can foresee 'Shadow of the Colossus' scenarios in adventurer mode. Fortresses will get multi-tile siege engines, or beast vs. beast battles after taming their own.
Pages: [1] 2 3