Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Ways to drag enemies?  (Read 8320 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ways to drag enemies?
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2017, 12:41:53 am »

I can't wait to see the forum threads popping : "my legendary adventurer got grabbed by a roc and now I'm 50z above ground, what do I do" :D
Climb up and ride it, obviously.
Be sure to get your own grasp on it BEFORE breaking its hold, though.
The mighty Great God Om will show the way, from the time he was temporarily manifested as a tortoise and  (even more temporarily) carried aloft by an eagle. For at, east the third time, I think it was.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2017, 02:10:15 am »

I can't wait to see the forum threads popping : "my legendary adventurer got grabbed by a roc and now I'm 50z above ground, what do I do" :D
Then piledrive it into the ground.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2017, 02:39:53 am »

Grab a tree branch at the last second.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2017, 08:12:12 am »

Good idea; that way you'll get your arm ripped off just before you splatter on the ground.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

OmegaShadowcry

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeper of Many Memes
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2017, 12:28:31 am »

Good idea; that way you'll get your arm ripped off just before you splatter on the ground.
Only in Dwarf Fortress, gentleurists.
Personally, I would recommend climbing up onto the Roc, snapping one of its wings, and piloting the creature to it's oh-so-messy demise. Try and land upright, that way you can at least train up as a crutchwalker if you break your legs.
He finally died when there was nothing else to take and my axeman bled him out trying to steal his guts.
I walked off of the outer wall a few minutes later as the new King. I'm still baffled.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2017, 03:35:24 pm »

Imagine a merging between wrestling, dragging, and mounting mechanics.  "Mount" becomes a wrestling move, allowing you to grab wild animals and try to stay on their back while they try to throw you off.  The same move on smaller creatures would just let you sit on them.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2017, 03:43:56 pm »

How about after you mount a creature a lot of times it will submit to your will, allowing you to ride it without it throwing you off?

Imagine pulling a Daenarys Targaryen by mounting a dragon, then flying into an elven forest retreat and burning it all to the ground.

Say, this might actually not be too overwhelmingly hard to implement a simplified version of this in a DFHack Lua script... I'll look into it.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2017, 05:05:36 am »

Getting stuck in trees 2.0
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2017, 07:25:51 am »

Add this to advfort in some of the functions around line #400 or so:
Code: [Select]
function SetCarryRef(args)
    local mnt
    local rid
    local pos=args.pos
    for k,v in pairs(df.global.world.units.active) do
        if v.pos.x==pos.x and v.pos.y==pos.y and v.pos.z==pos.z then
mnt = df.global.world.units.active[0]
rid = v
  mnt.general_refs:insert("#",{new=df.general_ref_unit_riderst,unit_id=rid.id})
                  dfhack.maps.ensureTileBlock(rid.pos).occupancy[rid.pos.x%16][rid.pos.y%16].unit = false
  rid.relationship_ids.RiderMount=mnt.id
  rid.pos.x=mnt.pos.x
  rid.pos.y=mnt.pos.y
  rid.pos.z=mnt.pos.z
  rid.flags1.rider=true
  mnt.flags1.ridden=true
  require("utils").insert_sorted(df.global.world.units.other.ANY_RIDER,rid,"id")
            return
        end
    end
end

Then go down to the line that starts with actions={ and add this somewhere in the middle:
Code: [Select]
    {"Carry"           ,SetCarryRef,{}},

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2017, 07:51:00 am »

Is it possible to wrestle and pull someone while retaining your grip, pulling them along with you?
If you can fly (I'm currently enjoying the advantages of being a peregrine falcon man), can you pull them up with you?
That would be great - swoop down into a group of goblins, grab one, and abduct him into the air to deal with him somewhere else.

Just a heads up, a peregrine falcon man isn't likely to be picking a goblin up. Animal people are an average between the animal and person that's combined. So that particular creature will probably have to settle for raking peoples' faces with their claws. Still a brutal attack, and certainly worth the effort. Just not a lift.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2017, 10:55:36 am »

Is it possible to wrestle and pull someone while retaining your grip, pulling them along with you?
If you can fly (I'm currently enjoying the advantages of being a peregrine falcon man), can you pull them up with you?
That would be great - swoop down into a group of goblins, grab one, and abduct him into the air to deal with him somewhere else.
Just a heads up, a peregrine falcon man isn't likely to be picking a goblin up. Animal people are an average between the animal and person that's combined. So that particular creature will probably have to settle for raking peoples' faces with their claws. Still a brutal attack, and certainly worth the effort. Just not a lift.
At base, I'd agree, PFM is little over half the size of a goblin. It remains to be put to the test as to whether one could develop the mass to knock over a goblin, or if the gravity adds enough (or any) momentum to a swooping charge. Can't test this in arena because muscle and fat tissue thickness don't automatically scale when strength/stored fat are directly modified.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2017, 11:38:14 am »

Add this to advfort in some of the functions around line #400 or so:
oh yeah I remember having a carry, drag, mount and Stuff folks into a item function for dfhack for several years now due to help by warmist.
kinda made looking at this thread in puzzle confusion though.
loads of fun for making a chain of dragging units each being pulled by another person.
the drag code that I had for years back, probably need an update since relationships section in dfhack got rewritten.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
though nice to see max making addons to advfort.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2017, 03:24:37 pm »

*unskilled goblin is dropped from 50z in the air*
*parries a bird mid-air*
*floats the rest of the way down kung-fu style*
*explodes PC with a glance*
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2017, 08:03:17 pm »

*parries a bird mid-air*

PC as in, computer, or primary character?
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2017, 08:04:43 pm »

*parries a bird mid-air*

PC as in, computer, or primary character?

Player Character Y'kno what I'm leaving it up to your imagination at this point.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 [2] 3