Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Cyberpunk thread  (Read 2143 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Cyberpunk thread
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2017, 11:17:11 pm »

E.Y.E.... heh... yeah that game is confusing.  I really, really tried to play it, but could only force myself so far.  Flawed gem, with an emphasis on the flawed.  There's definitely something of worth there.  You can tell there's a vision, and a strong attempt at creating a very open, but crunchy style of gameplay that is almost really neat.  It's like... just a little bit more, and it could have been Mount & Blade level stuff.  It's one I expect would get some community love to polish it up after the fact, but last I checked, that wasn't out there.

Anyway, PTW.  Cyberpunk is my favorite genre.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2017, 09:59:58 am »

Why is it Blade Runner is considered Cyberpunk? Aesthetics aside Earth is a shit hole, but it sounds like the colonies are fine. The other themes sometimes overlap like questions over what it means to be human in a world with artificial life. It doesn't contain much else in common that I see.

Wait, Shadowrun's been around that long? I always felt like it was new.

Jeez, why are good cyberpunk stuffs always so old? Ready Player One doesn't count.
The last bit of Cyberpunk I read was The Shockwave Rider from 1975. It isn't the best the genre has to offer, but it was interesting to see the usual themes so far back. It's one of those books where the ideas are stronger than the execution, especially the characters.

6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2017, 10:12:59 am »

imo Blade Runner is "honorary cyberpunk", where it established the tropes of the genre while not actually fitting the classification. Like early Lovecraft works.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2017, 10:33:44 am »

Deus Ex HR was too clean and sleek, more Neo Renaissance than Cyberpunk.

I dunno that can be debated when traveling over to Hong Kong and dealing with the Harvesters. This is what I liked about HR over Mankind Divided was the vast diversity between the designs of Tai Yong and Serif's augs. Mankind Divided still left alot of plotholes and sadly probably the last of the series due to its poor performance.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2017, 10:46:44 am »

imo Blade Runner is "honorary cyberpunk", where it established the tropes of the genre while not actually fitting the classification. Like early Lovecraft works.

The issue with the first movie was there was barely any background plot developed like how human culture has changed and the environmental effects due to radiation poisoning killing off most animal life and plants. With replicants I would say they were spot on. Deckard himself is only a lowly detective whose job is to execute replicants that have gone beyond their original designs. His pay is terrible and lacks resources to acquire luxuries like a cloned animal.

Blade Runner 2049 still has me interested as it looks like they'll show more on how fucked up earth really is but I feel they will walk away from the book altogether.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2017, 10:58:03 am »

I think Blade Runner is good in part because rather than despite it's differences with the book. Hopefully the same will be true for the sequel.

Thinking about it the book has one major Cyberpunk theme missing in the film: Cybernetics. I suppose the replicants fit this somewhat, but in the book there are devices for controlling your mood.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2018, 11:13:47 pm »

So what's the verdict on Altered Carbon? Is it worth watching? I've heard that it's cyberpunk in aesthetic, but not in plot. Though, I wouldn't mind a crime noir with cyberpunk aesthetic.

In video game news, what little that have been shown of Cyberpunk 2077 looks very, very sexy.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2018, 11:32:18 pm »

If you want to be really technical about it, Altered Carbon is more of a noir story in a sci-fi setting than strictly cyberpunk.  But the end result is much easier to call cyberpunk than anything else.  The only reason I'd call it sci-fi is the technology goes beyond your standard cyberpunk level, including space travel and transhumanism stuff that goes much deeper than AI and cybernetics.  But played straight cyberpunk tropes include extreme disparity between low/high life accentuated by the tech of the day, cybernetics, weak puppet government that serves corporate interests more than the public, hi-tech ninja shenanigans and espionage, noir style investigation story led by a cynical jerk with a secret heart of gold, hacking skills turning out to be an essential part of the ragtag long shot scheme to take down the megacorp, etc.  The only thing I can think of that isn't 100% classic cyberpunk plot is the lead protagonist isn't himself a hacker.

And yes, it's worth watching.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 11:34:12 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2018, 12:39:24 am »

Is it necessary to argue over whether something is "real" cyberpunk, anyway? Classifying fiction like species of animals or types of minerals is a futile task. If it feels like cyberpunk, it's cyberpunk.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2018, 01:00:19 am »

Same reason why people argue about whether something is Anime or not.

Like, is Ghost in the Shell Anime or Cyberpunk?

Though I will say that I love the GitS setting, however, it does lack the huge class divide that defines the punk side of the genre.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2018, 01:41:44 am »

Is it necessary to argue over whether something is "real" cyberpunk, anyway? Classifying fiction like species of animals or types of minerals is a futile task. If it feels like cyberpunk, it's cyberpunk.

Meh... no argument taking place.  Just answering Cinder's question to the best of my ability as to why they might have heard the show isn't really cyberpunk.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2018, 04:50:23 am »

I feel like the thing is that anything with -punk, except steampunk, has to be anti-utopian. Not just dystopian. Anti-utopian.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2018, 05:05:01 am »

Now that's an interesting take.  And I can sorta see it.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2018, 07:11:04 am »

Meh... no argument taking place.  Just answering Cinder's question to the best of my ability as to why they might have heard the show isn't really cyberpunk.
Aye, wasn't really contesting that. I'd just casually scrolled through the thread and noticed that something like half the works brought up have had their status as cyberpunk questioned :v Bothers me when people shy away from discussing works because they're too busy trying to pigeonhole them.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2018, 08:19:27 am »

So I watched Blade Runner 2049 the other day, and that was a serious treat to myself. It was a slow movie, but holy hell, it was just so visually pretty.

I started playing a cyberpunk RPI just because of that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3