Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Auto-shearing/milking/spinning/cheesin'  (Read 5675 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Auto-shearing/milking/spinning/cheesin'
« on: August 03, 2017, 02:32:25 pm »

It's pretty simple suggestion, really. Right now, the loom automatically collects webs and spins thread. That's great! As such, I'd very much like it if the farmers workshop would automatically shear/milk eligible creatures when they're ready, and turn the resultant wool/milk into cheese. I can't imagine a situation where you *wouldn't* want them milked/sheared as soon as possible, and even if one arose, you can turn off that automation in the orders menu (Since you already can for the collection of weeds and automated weaving)

I mean, maybe there's a way to do it now, but as it is, when I set a workshop order to just do it forever, I still constantly get annoying cancellation messages until an animal is actually ready.

e: I mean a manager workshop order, not a workshop-repeat order.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 02:43:35 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Auto-shearing/milking/spinning/cheesin'
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 08:28:35 am »

Definitely +1 on the auto shearing and auto milking!  The cheese is more complicated because sometimes you want to wait until you have large enough stacks of milk. The spinning is a bit like weaving, so it makes sense, but I admit to never auto-weaving because I want to dye all my thread.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 12:32:34 pm »

True. I wouldn't expect it to be an automatic job that you couldn't, similarly to weaving, stop in the (o)rders -> (W)orkshop Orders sub-menu, at least for cheese-making.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 01:33:31 am »

Yeah, auto-shearing and auto-milking are definitely sorely needed at this point. Autocheese and autospin can be set up with the job manager, so they're not quite as important.

Kat1e

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 02:11:07 am »

sorry if this resurrects a dead conversation ... also I'm not intending to diminish the priority of the initial query re milking/shearing since it was searching for a solution to that same issue that brought me to this conversation ... but in regards to your comment about the job cancellation messages ... just checking that you know you can toggle the frequency of those messages, or toggle them off completely, also via the work orders screen.

That way they don't keep popping up at the bottom of your screen, you can just check the 'a'nnouncements every now and then to see what cancellations have been occurring regularly. A little less irritating.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 01:31:44 am »

+1 for auto-shearing and auto-milking. Like Putnam said the others can already be done with the job manager, so they probably shouldn't be included as to not clutter the (o)rders screen.

Philii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 02:07:38 am »

Auto Shearing +1 but I don't like auto milking because it use barrel.
Sorry for Grammar.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 04:30:05 am »

+1

For late DF playing, there is a need for more automation. In forum is like 20+ topics begging for auto-shearing and auto-milking alone.

Plus cooking (+receipts, + something done about dwarven food preferences), improved brewing (currently one brewing automation needs 1 workshop alone), better auto-harvesting from fields (fields allow only seasonal automation) and auto-gathering from nature (apples?), herding & butchering (even cumbersome burrowing can end in a herd consisting of only males or females). It also shows, that unfinished features leave lots of holes, which can and probably will cause serious bugs in future or demand these features entire rewrite from anew. Locations feature could do nicely to cover both herding&butchering and farming&stockpiling, not to mention of building elaborate kitchens and using cooking receipts. Even taverns could do with constructed wine vats.

Late game in Fortress Mode could really take more love from Toady effort, as well as the Adventure Mode's general smoothing, as AM is more connected to the world generation engine, which Toady works every year most on, and therefore more exposed to any weird bugs freshly introduced. Currently animal spawning in lairs and in camps, as well as 10000 trolls re-spawns in Dark Fortresses are causing the most lag and the most bizarre (0 weight weasels?) game crashes returning players right into desktop.

Ggobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 04:55:07 pm »

My work around is to set an automatic job per month or season to shear/spin/milk/cheese
Just popping in to say that if DF has taught me anything, it's that everything is doomed.