Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Tailor's sizing up for crafting  (Read 4325 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tailor's sizing up for crafting
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2017, 04:36:55 am »

Sorry, I'm tl:dr'ing you, but I've been thinking about the subject myself.  What should probably happen is that the clothings are made on auto-manufacture.  When a dwarf's clothing starts getting tattered, he goes to the clothier to be measured for some new duds, and the clothier makes the clothing as soon as the materials are available. 

Its fine, i wasn't exactly straightforward in my explanations as shonai points out.

I would think that would be unfeasable though and a petty annoyance to the user on materials that were being saved for later, and if that is ever properly implemented would need to be a workshop order (via O) to not "Auto re-fit clothes" as to give the player control or play around with burrows so that dwarves don't refit and just pick up new clothes.

I think a good middle ground would be to have a list of general sizes to pick from. Whenever you queue up an item of clothing to be made, with each size having a number next to it to indicate how many fortress residents you have in that size.

Then you can additionally tailor any clothing item for a specific individual that will give a happy thought when worn.

OK, now I have a fortress filled with dwarves and maybe some animalpersons.  I need to recruit more militia and get them in their equipment and training, but I only have 3 "medium" breastplates, 2 "large" breastplates, 1 "extra-large breastplate", and 1 "extra-extra-large" breastplate. 

How do I search my residents for who fits those armors?

I prior suggested that the tailored clothes namedrop the creatures (not directly on a personal ID basis, just state) in the description of the tailor sizing it is taken from ("it is sized for _____") which could be a solution to your problem, though Japa's chart is very interesting and outlines some areas where my system in the original post could falter.

or else just see a "resize to this character" mechanic worked out. 

My original post's detail is on hand to help with tailor's fulfilling this role.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 04:39:50 am by FantasticDorf »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2017, 05:25:38 pm »

I think a good middle ground would be to have a list of general sizes to pick from. Whenever you queue up an item of clothing to be made, with each size having a number next to it to indicate how many fortress residents you have in that size.

Then you can additionally tailor any clothing item for a specific individual that will give a happy thought when worn.

OK, now I have a fortress filled with dwarves and maybe some animalpersons.  I need to recruit more militia and get them in their equipment and training, but I only have 3 "medium" breastplates, 2 "large" breastplates, 1 "extra-large breastplate", and 1 "extra-extra-large" breastplate. 

How do I search my residents for who fits those armors?

I prior suggested that the tailored clothes namedrop the creatures (not directly on a personal ID basis, just state) in the description of the tailor sizing it is taken from ("it is sized for _____") which could be a solution to your problem, though Japa's chart is very interesting and outlines some areas where my system in the original post could falter.

or else just see a "resize to this character" mechanic worked out. 

My original post's detail is on hand to help with tailor's fulfilling this role.

Having "It is sized for _____" sounds like a details page description.  I need to see at a glance how many unclaimed steel breastplates I have that can fit a particular size of character while going over the stocks page, or when just K-looking at a stockpile.  The more pages I have to go through to see the information I need, the more of a hassle the interface is, and the less likely a player is to bother even trying (or mandate that all soldiers must be a single size, the way that some players say no women in the military to just not have to deal with pregnancies).

It would honestly be best if you could just have characters automatically order their own resizing to fit themselves

However, keep in mind that you open it up to problems when there are large size discrepencies: Larger-sized armor and clothes are (at least, eventually) meant to require different amounts of material to make.  A steel breastplate for a kobold is a fraction of the size and mass of a breastplate for an elephantman.  Even if you make resizing equipment require additional material or generate some spare, it begs the question of if a masterwork breastplate should really stay masterwork when it is expanded tenfold in size.  Even if we agree to that, doesn't it mean it's better to make all your armor initially small so that you can resize it to dwarven size (and use the full amount of steel) only when getting masterwork quality?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2017, 07:20:32 pm »

Another way to handle it could be to make a generic piece of armor/clothing, and then tailor it to an individual, or to a species. 

So thread -> cloth -> generic outfit -> tailored outfit 

A citizen can make do with a generic outfit but tailored outfits are better.  Happier thoughts, better combat performance. 

Maybe there could be a balance between automation and searching menus.  Like, if a citizen needs/wants new clothing, they go to the clothier and place an order.  Instead of the clothier filling the order automatically, the player could see a list of who needs/wants new clothing and decide which orders to fill. 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 07:22:15 pm by AceSV »
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2017, 03:54:00 am »

Another way to handle it could be to make a generic piece of armor/clothing, and then tailor it to an individual, or to a species. 

So thread -> cloth -> generic outfit -> tailored outfit 

A citizen can make do with a generic outfit but tailored outfits are better.  Happier thoughts, better combat performance.

I mean completely feasable but still quite expensive, especially if the armorcrafting profession relies on you supplying another bar or a thread bin (which is quite unusual unless you like making specific decorations), then there's the added complications of whether tailoring is done afterwards like a improvement (for example i leave a stack of leather/thread around in a quantum stockpile) taking the implication from your statements.

Referring back to the original posts, the benefit is the happy thoughts as you describe but it doesn't apply any additional parts to the armor that is fundamentally unchanged except resized, a few bonuses and a value increase to a well tailored piece.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 04:14:40 am by FantasticDorf »
Pages: 1 [2]