Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Horde to blot out the sun OR: Generational Forts finally have a use for Migrants  (Read 1050 times)

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quote from: Toady
There had been a promise to get pet war dogs to travel with squads that you send on raids, rather than having them stay home waiting for their masters. So that's now properly completed. If your vision of dwarves is less about crafting in the mountains, and more about a lone dwarf descending from the hills to attack a village with a pack of a dozen hounds, your vision is now a reality. That's how I tested it, anyway. Five of the dogs were struck down, but the humans will now think twice about whatever it was they were thinking about, that's for sure.

So based on Toady's latest post on the front page (see above), I may be using a new strategy next version:

Embark with a couple flux stones, some coal, ores, and approximately 50 doggos (2-3 males in that whole lot). They will all be immediately trained for War, then thrown in a cage by summer. All puppies will be put in cages until they mature. Other war animals (tamed or traded for) get the same treatment, unless Grazers.

I tend to play (mostly failed/failing) small pop generational forts these days, so I will be allowing the first migrant wave (two at most) into the fort (or surface fort) before declaring all others as Meatshields.

Meatshields will be sent off to war with as many war doggoes as possible. The first warroes to go will be males with bad stats, followed by females with bad stats. The best 10 or so female doggoes will be kept for breeding (the actual Ten will be revised every year, when puppies start growing up and become trained to become warroes themselves).

Meatshields will be sent out 1-4 at a time with approximately 30 warroes at a minimum, with the rest of the Meatshields and expendable warroes hanging out in the entryway/maze, training, until weapon traps are fixed.
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile

Next map plan: 1 dwarf couple, 100+ Dogs. Kill all migrants and once there is a younger couple, kill off everyone but the younger couple. Dog Fortress.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile

This'll be awesome, imagine archcrystal bringing about the end of the world with the cave dragon army.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile

If you run out of warroes, don't forget mass human wave meatshield attacks.

Meatshields that survive/do well in several raids or sieges should get a special status.
One wheel short of a wagon