Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Sad Story of One Brave Turkey  (Read 6871 times)

Nolimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Sad Story of One Brave Turkey
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2017, 08:37:15 am »

Leru's life got boring. Twelve years ago he thought that retirement was a good idea. And, maybe, at first it was. He settled with his companions and seven dwarfs in Kingauthor in 255. The main reason for his decision was Ona. At first she was just another companion, but over time Leru started to care about her. After she got injured again, he began to think about retirement. He also wasn't in a perfect shape: his neck and hand bore big scars, his foot and lower body were burned with all of the fat boiled. Even though Leru is a huge, unbelievably strong human (the reason why he's called 'The Titan'), who killed two titans, a giant, a dragon and countless goblins, he still knew that with such lifestyle they will eventually die.
At first retirement was okay. There was a lot of work to do, Leru and Ona got married and got three kids. But after a while it got boring. So in 267 The Titan took some food, a barrel of beer, his trustworthy pickaxe and went on the next adventure. But this time he convinced Ona to stay with kids, to keep her safe. Onul 'The Badger' joined him on his adventure. She was his companion and a good friend for a long time. Onul also left her dwarven child at home with her husband.
So, they headed north. Leru didn't have any specific plan, but he heard from a caravan about Goldencut - small settlement in 2-3 days to the north. On the way Onul killed few badgers, proving her name, but nothing else happened. When they reached Goldencut it seemed oddly quiet. They entered the gate, and the first thing they saw was a huge pile of dog corpses. Farther back was even bigger pile of dead turkeys.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They heard some noises from the main building in the middle, and few dwarven merchants and a dog came out. They told Leru a story, story that changed him forever, the story about Glazedhollow, or Fikodugosh, as they called him. The Titan wanted to know how it ended for Glazedhollow and 'Turkey'.
Drink didn't help much. Leru knew that this wasn't his fight, but this time he couldn't stay aside. After looking around for awhile he found Glazedhollow and 'Turkey', they were still together, rotten away, but still holding onto each other.
From this point Leru 'The Titan' knew what he was going to do. He'll make those elves pay with their blood. Merchants told that attackers were from The Lake of Symmetry - civilization of elves far away to the south-west. Group spend one last night in comfort and headed west first thing in the morning. They knew journey would take at least a week, so they moved fast. After a couple of days Leru and Onul got ambushed.
Goblins made a mistake
And dual wielding turkeys proved to be a decent weapon.
Later they were attacked by lions.
And a cheetah
When Leru entered some forest retreat populated by goblins, the sight of a big man wielding two dead turkeys terrified some goblins:
In one and a half weeks they finally reached Fordraces, the capital of The Lake of Symmetry. Leru approached some elf on a tree to ask him questions
Elf probably thought that they were suspicious. He also didn't like it when Leru offended his beloved 'tangled greenery'.
After some searching Leru found a big tree with widely spread branches. He climbed up, and near the top he found a skinny female elf wearing sophisticated clothing. She looked nervous, but started the conversation first:

Immediately Leru felt that she was lying
She just makes excuses, she knows why Leru came!
That for Glazedhollow and 'Turkey'! Now that she's dead, there are few other options what to do. Leru may bring turkeys back to Kingauthor for proper burial, he also may glorify Glazedhollow's name by killing as much beasts as possible, or he could try bringing them back to life. What do you think he should do?

For those, who interested how I added a dialog option to ask about Glazedhollow: Using gui/gm-editor for Leru, I looked for his historical figure entry. There, in 'info.relationships.list' I added two more relationships with historical figures ids of Glazedhollow and 'Turkey'. After that they would appear as dialog options and storytelling options. Also, 'Turkey' corpse was authentic, even though there was a lot of corpses named 'Turkey'. Again, I looked for a corpse with specific historical figure associated with it.

MrLurkety

• Bay Watcher
  • Bogeymen are tasty. So am I, to the bogeymen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2017, 11:24:01 am »

Bring them back to life
Bay12 Evo game
-snip-
I'm not an expert on the political climate but I'm pretty sure that politicians don't join armies and invade dwarven fortresses.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2017, 11:59:34 am »

Nice. It was indeed a quest.

Force transfer is...Quite twisted.

Next, you coul...hm.

The crash, right.

Perhaps you could 'emigrate' the killer of Glazedhollow from the camp, via dfhack, by perhaps editing their place of residence or making them a type of visitor? Then hunt them down.

Or perhaps create the ghost of Glazedhollow and set it to haunt his killer for eternity. Elves can live forever, after all.

Nolimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2017, 01:53:05 pm »

Nice. It was indeed a quest.

Force transfer is...Quite twisted.

Next, you coul...hm.

The crash, right.

Perhaps you could 'emigrate' the killer of Glazedhollow from the camp, via dfhack, by perhaps editing their place of residence or making them a type of visitor? Then hunt them down.

Or perhaps create the ghost of Glazedhollow and set it to haunt his killer for eternity. Elves can live forever, after all.
I was surprised by the power of a dead turkey too. Even direct damage, without force transfer, is pretty good. First goblin I encountered gave in to pain only after 3 hits.

I could poke around with dfhack to try to get the killer of Glazedhollow without crash. I don't know how such emigration would work, because his camp is not a site on a world map, it's just an asterisk on the outskirts of Goldencut. Also I don't know how to do it. At least yet.

I also thought about ghost (maybe adding CAN_SPEAK for turkeys too?), but there is only so much you can do with ghosts. And again, right now I don't know how to do it.
Bring them back to life

There is a tower near Goldencut, I could reanimate turkeys and even capture them in a cage in Goldencut.

I also recently found a way to make your citizens equip any item as a weapon, that way I could make a turkey dual wielder in fortress mode.
Still not sure what to choose. And I'm open for more ideas.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2017, 02:30:50 pm »

Camps count as sites, but I meant editing killer directly - you'd get the historical figure id of killer of glazedhollow (export xml, and search for their name), then edit them with gui/gm-editor df.historical_figure.find(killer_histfig_id)

Yeah, the ghost would ultimately be pretty underwhelming in that it won't be doing anything (unless you make it murderous).

How do you equip any item as weapon, dfhack forceequip or ... ? Vanilla, I've failed to manage it, though I know attachment can make them carry the item around in hand.

Nolimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2017, 03:25:40 pm »

How do you equip any item as weapon, dfhack forceequip or ... ? Vanilla, I've failed to manage it, though I know attachment can make them carry the item around in hand.

I was struggling with it for quite a while. I had a thread where one of my dwarves accidentally got attached to a figurine of their first king. And I tried to make him name it. Even after he named it, he would still drop it if assigned to a squad. So, I'm pretty sure it's impossible in vanilla. I tried editing his inventory and uniforms using gm-editor for a unit. No luck there too. And only recently, when I was looking through historical_entity of local government id, I found that there are uniforms there, which include all of your saved uniforms. Also you could access individual uniforms for any member for any squad id. Knowing this, I assigned specific weapon on equip screen, then found that entry for that member of a squad in gm-editor and changed item id for item that I wanted. Issue an order for squad, that will update their uniform, and those with changed weapons will equip new items.

I'm not sure if I explained it well, if you need more clarification I may post some screenshots. Also I'm not really good at lua, so my poking with dfhack often starts from 'gui/gm-editor df.global' (or even 'gui/gm-editor df'). From there I could get almost anywhere.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2017, 04:31:10 pm »

I think you should go on. A turkey dual-wielder would make a pretty bad-ass adventurer, as you've seen.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2017, 06:59:22 am »

@Nolimit: Oh yeah, nice scepter. I don't recall if you tried "over clothes, no items" uniform?

And nice, found it. df.global.ui.main.fortress_entity.uniforms to modify uniform definitions. Some RP and weaponry potential there.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2017, 07:08:07 am »

Lovely story. A true epic for the ages!
Love, scriver~

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2017, 05:30:04 pm »

Had a thought. Animals normally do not care for marriage.

Are the married turkeys monogamous? Or will they cheat on each other?

Nolimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2017, 06:48:39 pm »

They can only marry in world gen, and I'm not sure how it would affect fortress mode on unretirement. My guess would be that they still going to breed as normal animals ignoring marriage, but more science needs to be done.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2017, 12:27:32 am »

Posting to watch.

ChristianWeiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2017, 03:27:11 am »

That was awesome read, do you have any other stories posted? Love that you mix it in with screenshots.

Nolimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2017, 07:40:35 am »

Just a little update on what's going on with Leru, Glazedhollow and others:
I have really weird color/brightness representation on my monitor, so does this picture look right? My monitor always shows everything too dark and more red, so it's really hard to balance brightness/contrast/color.
As for Leru, I'll post more details later, right when I'll finish something.

That was awesome read, do you have any other stories posted? Love that you mix it in with screenshots.
Thanks, as for other stories: Ashi, but there are no screenshots. Stories are good practice for my English, so I'll probably going to post more of them in the future.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 07:43:46 am by Nolimit »

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2017, 07:51:35 am »

It's quite dark, but completely visible on my computer (and I have vision problems, so for normal people it's probably fine).

Also, your English is fantastic.  I should start writing stories in Japanese.  It's a good idea. Apparently Murakami writes all his novels in English first and then translates them back to Japanese.  In that way he ensures that the language is simple (apparently they don't use his original English for the English translations, though -- so it is a translation of a translation :-) ).
Pages: 1 [2] 3