Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The Sad Story of One Brave Turkey  (Read 6882 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: The Sad Story of One Brave Turkey
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2017, 09:22:14 am »

Dinosaur bogeymen, at first glance? No...Not quite. Only leftmost looming figure has scales, so perhaps more werelizard, weredonkey and werecamel. Can you build tents in adventure mode?

You could adjust gamma correction on your monitor.

And that's an interesting practice idea. Spoken and thought language is an alive language.

Nolimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2017, 10:41:07 am »

Can you build tents in adventure mode?
No, I drew a tent so I didn't have to draw all of the followers. Also it looks a lot more like a camp for the night this way.

You could adjust gamma correction on your monitor.
I already did this. But it's a big screen TV, and they often have higher contrast than normal monitors even on lowest settings, because it's better for movies and such.

Nolimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2017, 10:35:13 am »

(minor spoilers ahead)

After killing Ecafe Growledobscure Leru and Onul left elves' capital. Onul noticed that Leru was somehow different. He killed so many things that he didn't really care about anything, but for some reason the story of Glazedhollow affected him. They wandered aimlessly for quite some time. Leru cleared few lairs with Fikodugosh's corpse in his right hand and Onuusmok, "Rubbedfire", his steel pickaxe in his left hand. Most of those lairs The Titan cleared by himself, leaving Onul waiting outside. Always returning covered in blood, coldly stating that another night creature or dangerous animal is dead. Onul started to worry about him, he became so detached from the world that it seemed that he didn't care about his life. She often tried to talk to him, but he wasn't talkative.

Few month passed. While traveling they stumbled across some weird shrine. There was a great thermite with a knobby trunk and it was covered in patchy orange feathers. Leru knew about this hill titan. People called it Bog Mintspray the Hairy Larks. According to legends Bog also breathed fire. But not this time. As soon as hill titan opened his mouth, he got hit with Glazedhollow's corpse in the head, mashing his brain into a fine paste. And suddenly a bunch of bluejay people came out of nowhere and began to dance around the corpse. Turned out this titan terrorized them for quite some time. They were so thankful that five of them decided to join Leru and Onul. From this point everything changed. Bluejay people were loud, they liked to sing and dance and also they really loved Leru's stories. They reminded Leru why he started all of this, he did it to help others. And with this rediscovered purpose his adventures became much brighter.

With different feelings and motivation The Titan got back to killing things again. In their adventures they made a couple of new friends: two dingo people, two eagle people and two crow people in addition to bluejay people. Once, when they stopped for the night and Leru was retelling story of Glazedhollow, Darkwing, the crow man, mentioned that if somebody can bring Glazedhollow to life, it's the Gods themselves, and there are places where Gods created some sort of gates that connect their realms with real world. This thought stuck in Leru's mind, and anytime they got in town or hamlet, he asked a lot of questions about surroundings, hoping to find some mentions of those gates.

In one town one guy said something about some weird structure to the north-west. After searching for some time they found a tall round tower  made out of black incredibly smooth stone. Leru commanded everybody to stay outside and entered dark opening at the bottom of the tower. In the symbols on the walls Leru recognized attributes of dwarven goddess Kidet. Farther in the corner there was a strange humanoid creature the size of an adult human, and it wasn't happy to see Leru.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Titan lost the sense of time. It seemed that he was fighting all of those guardians for eternity. One of them managed to hit him in the foot, injuring his ankle. He also found a huge steam monster, who died in one hit releasing clouds of hot steam. And in final room was a single slab with some engraving on it. It said that some demon was released from Underworld, and those who would call him in his real name can ask him anything.

After some time Leru cleared three such vaults And got three slabs. There was no way to communicate with gods who made those vaults, but next plan was to find those demons. If they escaped hell they should know the way to bring Glazedhollow back.
After crossing a bunch of tranches Leru got into a wide buiding. He killed a dozen of trolls to get to the top floor. And there he met their master:
Sadly this demon didn't know how to bring back Glazedhollow, but Leru still decided to keep him as a slave. Later other two demons joined them, but none of them could help Leru with his goal. Those demons were quite scary, one of them excreted dust, which got onto Leru's skin. His whole body got covered in blisters, which still there to this day. All of the demons were not happy to serve some human, but they had no choice.

There was nothing Leru could do to resurrect 'Turkey' and Glazedhollow. Also he got homesick, so they headed to Kingauthor. He also took a lot of twisting metal and blazing metal armor and weapon with him. For some reason Onul decided not to go with them.

Ona, the duchess of Kingauthor and Leru's wife was a little bit bored at home. Nothing really happened while Leru was away. She even demanded a bed in her throne room because there wasn't much to do as a duchess.
But one morning she heard loud distant stomping, she even thought that finally they got some enemies. She ran outside and there were three huge figures above the trees approaching from the east. She, Zefon 'Moonface' and three cave swallow people got ready for a battle. But in the next moment from the edge of the forest showed up Leru, and later a group of bird people. Ona didn't recognize him at first: his whole body was covered in blisters, his lower front teeth were missing and he got a couple of new scars. Leru shortly told them about his quests and promised to explain more later in the tavern. He also told not to be afraid of those demons. Everybody was kind of okay with presence of them, only Ona for some reason disliked Alisa, the gila monster demon:
Bird people and dingo people joined Kingauthor. Leru trimmed the wings of all of the birds, and Zefon 'Moonface', the main architect of Kingauthor started working on the project. Alisa, the gila monster monster, Eti, the green brute and Oggez, the warthog brute also joined fortress and were not hostile, at least as long as Leru is there.

Almost everybody was involved in the project, some were working on production of clear glass, some were shaping stone into useful blocks and some were making golden statues. Food and clothing industries were also running to support the needs of the fortress. In the meantime Likot Rockpools made a discovery:
And later even wrote a manual about sundial:
Ona gave birth to another son:
Even though he is human, he was born with a long beard in a dwarven fashion.
Bluejay people really liked local tavern, and often danced and sang there. Green brute Eti enjoys their singing.
And for about one and a half years they were building. And it's finally done! Glazedhollow's and 'Turkey's Tombs:
Main base made in clear glass, statues made out of gabbro, schist, microcline, marble and cinnabar blocks.
In each tomb there are golden statues in a circle surrounding platinum sarcophagus and microcline memorial slab.
In a platinum coffin rests Glazedhollow, who wasn't just a brave turkey when he was alive, but also a deadly weapon after death:
And some more pictures of their glorious statues:
Rest in peace Glazedhollow and 'Turkey', at least now you are forever together.

I also got some metals:
My plan is to outfit everyone in the military with twisting and blazing metal. I also want to use two of the demons in my military (one with deadly dust is going to be really annoying as a soldier). With dfhack I can even make some armor for them.
For those who interested in technical details of certain things and how it was done:

Script for making creatures controllable in fortress mode:

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2017, 12:06:56 pm »

Holy emergent gameplay

Those are the finest turkey statues I've ever seen. Incredibly evocative.

(The crenallated village is nice as well.)

Where did you come up with the exact layout from?

The gif of changing building also nicely displays changing seasons and trees with passage of time.

Hm. Is Onul depressed? Or sort of nihilistic? The titan never harmed Glazedhollow, but Glazedhollow killed it nonetheless.

With the artifact update, people would siege your place just to get Glazedhollow's corpse.

- - - -

...Wait, wild animal people joining you on adventure? That's pretty neat.

...Snrk. Taking on a vault with a dead turkey.

Hm, I've yet to read anybody using the slabs as weapons. They're way too heavy for normal adventurers, granted, but bigger ones might do well with 'em.

But that's just a side note. The real note is attempting this quest in the first place.

Here, we readers know that it is fruitless. But the character doesn't, and engages in the quest because it is what the character would do, in search of a way to resurrect.

A fine example of meta-separation and role playing game.

PS: Oh yeah, if you get the demons to craft armour they'll craft armour their size on their own.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2017, 05:58:27 am »

On a related note, let us not forget this absolutely legendary thread:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=151578.0
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Nolimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2017, 03:49:47 am »

Holy emergent gameplay

Those are the finest turkey statues I've ever seen. Incredibly evocative.

(The crenallated village is nice as well.)

Where did you come up with the exact layout from?

I started it as an adventurer camp and built the main building in adventure mode. That building is basically a tavern, living quarters and a library. After starting a fort on top of a camp I built other buildings around it, with only one rule: they had to have some sort of roofs with slopes (most of them).

With the artifact update, people would siege your place just to get Glazedhollow's corpse.

I actually thought about making his corpse into an artifact either by normal in-game method (using it as a weapon against forgotten beasts till Leru would give it a name) or by using dfhack. But then I decided that poor turkey deserves a rest.

PS: Oh yeah, if you get the demons to craft armour they'll craft armour their size on their own.

Totally forgot about it. I was editing jobs using gui/gm-editor to achieve this, but by making them armorsmiths it would be much easier.

On a related note, let us not forget this absolutely legendary thread:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=151578.0

Thanks for the read! Haven't seen it before.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2017, 04:30:06 am »

I started it as an adventurer camp and built the main building in adventure mode. That building is basically a tavern, living quarters and a library. After starting a fort on top of a camp I built other buildings around it, with only one rule: they had to have some sort of roofs with slopes (most of them).
I was asking about the turkey statues, not the village :v

And wait, you killed hundreds of people with it and it wasn't named? Aw.

Nolimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2017, 06:33:43 am »

I was asking about the turkey statues, not the village :v

And wait, you killed hundreds of people with it and it wasn't named? Aw.
oh, I used google to find some sort of 3d block building software and found this website. It's pretty easy to use and I built my turkey statue plans there.

I never saw adventurers name their weapon. Leru's pickaxe had much smaller kill list when it got named, but it was in fortress mode. I always assumed that weapons couldn't be named in adventure mode, but if I'm wrong, it probably takes much longer than in fortress.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 06:35:24 am by Nolimit »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2017, 07:36:43 am »

Na, I know about adventurers not naming. It was an expression of dismay rather than speculation.

Hm, 3D software...I know some make their plans in minecraft.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2017, 04:27:23 pm »

Well this continues to be incredible, all of this because of one turkey.
Pages: 1 2 [3]