Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Sad Story of One Brave Turkey  (Read 6818 times)

Nolimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Sad Story of One Brave Turkey
« on: August 05, 2017, 06:03:16 am »

Glazedhallow was a turkey gobbler. In 252 he and others of his kind were brought to a new settlement called Goldencut. Life was good, there were plenty of turkey hens, big pasture and no shortage of food. From time to time few of his kind were eaten by those who brought them here. Sometimes the settlement was attacked by hordes of the dead or goblins. Sometimes they were visited by caravans from distant human and elven civilizations. But Glazedhollow didn't care. His life was almost perfect. Almost. There was one particular turkey hen about which he could not stop thinking. Her name was 'Turkey'. But Glazedhallow was too afraid to open up to her. He lived on his own with his feelings for a while, and finally in a year 256 he decided to tell her. It took way too long for him to realize that it should end one way or another. Luckily for him 'Turkey' was also waiting all that time hiding her feelings. Because life expectancy of a turkey is pretty short, they decided to marry as soon as possible. The ceremony was gorgeous. All of their friends were there, most of them were also named 'Turkey'. Everybody were happy, but little did they know that Goldencut was already surrounded by a huge army of elves. They attacked right in the middle of a ceremony. That was a total chaos, blood and guts everywhere. Those opposed to any life except trees had no mercy. All that Glazedhallow could think of, was how to protect his wife. And suddenly pointy-ears figure appeared right in front of 'Turkey'. Rage filled Glazedhallow's eyes. In the next moment that he remembered, he was standing on top of a dead female elf, covered in blood, continuously pecking her still warm neck. He looked around, and it wasn't a battle, it was a slaughter. There were too much elves. He came closer to 'Turkey', covered her shoulders with his wing, they clung to each other and closed their eyes...
When the dust settled, even more horrible picture was opened: those filthy treehuggers were devouring some of the corpses. And in this mess one would never find the remains of Glazedhallow and his lovely wife 'Turkey'.

A little bit of a context: The Ink of Words is dying civilization of dwarves (they are at war with elves - the cause of their small numbers). In 252 I embarked far away from the main civilization with some turkeys and dogs. After participating in some battles (mostly fleeing) some turkeys and some dogs gained status of historical figures. For easier caging, a lot of turkeys were named 'turkey' using dfhack. In 255 I retired Goldencut and started playing adventurer on the opposite side of the world. Then made another fort on top of an adventurer's site. In 267 I decided to check legends, and found that Goldencut was attacked a couple of times by goblins, with only few animals and visitors killed. But then, elves came, conquered the site, only to abandon it year later. Another finding was that somehow some of the turkeys were married. When I'll get bored with my current fort, I will definitely send an adventurer to check out the ruins of Goldencut.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 06:08:18 am by Nolimit »

MrLurkety

• Bay Watcher
  • Bogeymen are tasty. So am I, to the bogeymen.
    • View Profile
Re: The Sad Story of One Brave Turkey
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 02:34:07 pm »

Kill the elves. All of them, with a demigod adventurer dwarf for this horrible act.
Bay12 Evo game
-snip-
I'm not an expert on the political climate but I'm pretty sure that politicians don't join armies and invade dwarven fortresses.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 05:39:00 pm »

I'm disappointed that the elf killed turkey but didn't eat him. C'mon, waste of good game...A human might have made a trophy instead, for this is just not any ordinary turkey, but one who killed an elf.

Anyway, didn't know this would happen. Turkeys marrying? Turkeys killing invaders in simulated battles? Someone depicting the poor fate of a turkey? All novel.

I wonder, could  turkey become the king of your civ. Almost surely not....but hey, marriage is on the table.

MrLurkety

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 07:13:16 pm »

I'm disappointed that the elf killed turkey but didn't eat him. C'mon, waste of good game...A human might have made a trophy instead, for this is just not any ordinary turkey, but one who killed an elf.

Anyway, didn't know this would happen. Turkeys marrying? Turkeys killing invaders in simulated battles? Someone depicting the poor fate of a turkey? All novel.

I wonder, could  turkey become the king of your civ. Almost surely not....but hey, marriage is on the table.
I don't know why. It just happens with animals a lot.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 08:52:17 pm by MrLurkety »
Bay12 Evo game
-snip-
I'm not an expert on the political climate but I'm pretty sure that politicians don't join armies and invade dwarven fortresses.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

MrLurkety

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bay12 Evo game
-snip-

Nolimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 03:52:15 am »

Married turkeys were the main reason why I wrote this. Some of unnamed dogs from Godencut were also married. I didn't knew that could happen. Also, a little update: Using my adventurer, I found a corpse of Glazedhallow, don't know what to do with it, though. On a map near the fortress there is an asterisk, probably, it's the camp in which elves moved after abandoning of the site. Sadly, game crashes everytime, when I try to go there.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 05:01:58 am »

Give the turkey soldier's burial chamber. Coffin, slab, statue depicting them, made of favoured materials

You can try embark-anywhere on the camp in fort mode.

Nolimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 05:51:01 am »

I have another fortress in this world (the one I was playing when all of those events happened). I also, probably, could reclaim Goldencut, according to legends, elves abandoned it, so it should be available (some of initial inhabitants are still there, alive and well). So it is possible to make a proper resting place for Glazedhallow. But I thought about something more special. Like killing all of the elves involved in the attack using turkey corpse as a weapon to beat the hell out of them. That I would qualify as a proper revenge. But as I said, game crashes everytime I get close to their camp. I could also try destroying their homeland using nothing, but Glazedhallow's corpse.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 05:54:40 am by Nolimit »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 01:37:52 pm »

I warned you about elves, Bay 12.

I warned you Bay 12.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

MrLurkety

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 01:40:25 pm »

I have another fortress in this world (the one I was playing when all of those events happened). I also, probably, could reclaim Goldencut, according to legends, elves abandoned it, so it should be available (some of initial inhabitants are still there, alive and well). So it is possible to make a proper resting place for Glazedhallow. But I thought about something more special. Like killing all of the elves involved in the attack using turkey corpse as a weapon to beat the hell out of them. That I would qualify as a proper revenge. But as I said, game crashes everytime I get close to their camp. I could also try destroying their homeland using nothing, but Glazedhallow's corpse.
Do it.
Bay12 Evo game
-snip-

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 01:45:47 pm »

Do it.

No, you need to do an Arya Stark, and stand over the elf king and recite some manner of ironic series of statements as you slowly pull out the corpse of Glazedhollow before you bludgeon him to death, realization still frozen on his stupid elf face.

Or both, really.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 01:50:32 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 04:20:38 pm »

alot
alot
alot
*cringe*
Sorry.
I'm bad at everything
Nah, it's my obsessive grammar nazi-ism that is to blame.

No, you need to do an Arya Stark, and stand over the elf king and recite some manner of ironic series of statements as you slowly pull out the corpse of Glazedhollow before you bludgeon him to death, realization still frozen on his stupid elf face.

First make an +elf meat roast+ out of the elf king's children and serve it to him.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 07:44:17 pm »

The real question is "Can you take control of the turkey in adv. mode and actually undertake this quest as said turkey"

If not that turkey, then any surviving turkey will do.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2017, 10:05:27 pm »

The real question is "Can you take control of the turkey in adv. mode and actually undertake this quest as said turkey"

If not that turkey, then any surviving turkey will do.

Add    [LOCAL_POPS_CONTROLLABLE] or [OUTSIDER_CONTROLLABLE] to the raw file inside of the region's save folder. Not the main folder.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.
Pages: [1] 2 3