Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: You are Beast of Bay  (Read 4883 times)

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
You are Beast of Bay
« on: August 06, 2017, 05:01:06 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You just woke up. You are tied down in the middle of some sort of ritual circle. The circle looks like it was drawn in blood. There is a dead thing on top of your chest weighing you down. You can't lower your head, so you aren't sure what it is, but it has a nasty looking blade stuck in it. The creature looks quadrupedal. Blood from it leaks all over your t-shirt and jeans. 6 people surround you, wearing hideously colored robes. The area is dimly lit by candles scattered in some sort of pattern. Their faces are covered by hoods. They appear to have just finished chanting something unintelligible. Despite the unintelligibleness, you feel oddly... etranced by it?

You take some time to examine your situation further. Your pockets feel empty. You're fairly sure you're male. There is a burning feeling in your chest, but you don't feel like that's a bad thing. How unsettling. Is this some sort of cave? A basement? Gah, your head is ringing...

5 of the cultists turn towards the last one. On closer inspection, he appears to have slightly more ornate robes. The one you assume is the leader takes off his hood and looks down at you, revealing what looks to be the wrinkled face of a balding old man. He has a worrying grin.

"Ah, you're awake already? We have been more successful than I imagined."

You prepare yourself to speak, to shout in protest, but no words come to mind. Similarly, your muscles refuse to budge in the slightest. Damn it, move!

"We have summoned you from far beyond this mortal plane. We, the Order of the Bay have been hunted and reviled for generations, and only for making use of the same gifts that all have been granted! What greater purpose to magic is there than to rescue those who have died, those who have been sentenced to eternal torture simply for being born! But no! We are necromancers! Soul stealers! Workers of evil! They say what we do is forbidden!"

Summoned? What the hell is this madman talking about? You've been alive for... well you're a little woozy, but it'll come to you eventually! You feel young enough, early 20s maybe? Your name is... is... Damn, severe amnesia huh? How cliche. Wait hold on, they think they were revived and brought back from the dead? Seriously, how and when did you get kidnapped by this band of nutjobs?

"No more! After so many generations pulled from the Bay and unceremoniously returned to it, we 6 are all that remain of the 11th generation. However, this day can only be marked as a new and glorious beginning. After many decades of preparation, our savior has arrived! For this man is now a vessel of our otherworldly ally, who first liberated our founders from the Bay of the Dead. Freed from that wretched lake of eternal suffering fed by the Styx! This man will be the first member of our new 12th generation. Furthermore, he shall be the new leader of the Order of the Bay, for no one is more deserving than he who gave up so much for us."

They also think people came back the dead to found some sort of... religious order? Actually hang on, did they just say you were their leader. They're clearly insane but... might be able to work with this. The burning in your body increases.

"So, Beast of the Bay, I hope your new body to your liking. What are your first commands, oh saviour of ours?"

He bows deeply to you, apparently waiting for answer. The rest bow in kind. Beast of the Bay? New body? All of a sudden you feel the beginnings of a thought in your kind. Actually, a lot of thoughts. They... don't feel like your own. Are you going mad too? Maybe you should focus on getting untied. That and getting this damn dead body off of you.

What do you do?
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are Beast of Bay: Information
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 05:01:31 am »

These are a bit out if date. I should be able to fix them next update at the latest.

Spoiler: You (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Order of the Bay (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 08:02:05 pm by Person »
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are Beast of Bay
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 05:02:04 am »

One more for good measure. That should do it, I hope.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 06:16:20 am »

Use our innate magical powers that we definately have to try and get this damn dead thing off our body.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 01:40:09 pm »

Hello, good Host. We hope that our relationship can be a mutually beneficial one.

Ask the cultists to untie us.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 01:42:49 pm »

Ask the cultists for some food. Also, ask why there is a dead animal on top of ourself.

Avanti!

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 07:00:35 pm »

Ask them how the #### do they think magic works, and if I am now anything like them, other than my new forced-upon-undead-culthood status.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 07:01:54 pm »

You look over the thoughts that appeared. One of them seems to adress you as a Host, rather tell you to speak. I've got voices in my head then?

You aren't sure what to do first, but perhaps appeasing them is the way to go.

"Untie me and bring me some food. Also, what's is this dead animal on top of me?"

The old man seems somewhat bewildered by your words.

"Can you not free yourself? You ARE the Beast of the Bay are you not? But if you must know, that is a unicorn. The sacrifice of a powerful magical animal was needed to wake you from the bottom of the Bay, where you were unjustly sealed by the gods once more after freeing our founders many centuries ago."

That... doesn't help much. Damn it, a unicorn? Argh, this is making less and less sense. The burning in your chest reaches a point that's starting to piss you off. You try to PUSH as hard as you can to get this thing off of you.

"RAH!"

With a gutteral yell, you feel a wave of power exit your body. The horselike animal is sent flying into the air. Well you'll be damned, it IS a unicorn. The cultists seem stunned.

The beast begins to fall back towards you. Perhaps you didn't think this through. WAIT. You totally did magic just now right?

PUSH!

You send the unicorn flying sideways this time, and it makes a sick *splat* as it careens into the wall. The old man takes a moment to compose himself.

"Well! Sorry that we ever doubted you. You truly are him, aren't you. Silly of me to think otherwise. Untie him!"

The 5 other cultists quickly free you from the cold hard ground, and one hands you a slab of raw meat. You glance at the unicorn, and note that it is cut open in several places. That's certainly an exotic meal. Isn't unicorn blood supposed to be cursed? You ask this, and the group denies that fact.

"A common misconception. In fact, unicorn blood is actually-"

The old man startles. "Hm? No, they can't have found us so soon." He seems in deep concentration. "Those bastards sent a team of 10 of those damn "darkness hunters" here!" He looks at you.

"So soon after the ritual too. Ordinarily we'd be powerless to stop them but... With your return, such a paltry number is nothing! Please grant us your aid in repelling these hunters. They'll break through our outer defenses at any moment now."

... Somehow you sense their arrival as well. But... you don't have to get involved in this do you? You don't even know who you are. Maybe you can just plead innocence? No, they'd probably sense the magic in you, given your luck.

You hope you don't have to kill these guests. All the same, it may be wise to make preparations. By your estimates it seems like they'll arrive in about... 2 turns? Turns? That's not a measure of time, turns of what? Bah, no time to waste. You hope you have some good ideas soon. You don't even know what these cultists can do! Suddenly, a rush of knowledge flows into your mind as the leader places an ornate bone necklace onto your body.

Spoiler: Order of the Bay (click to show/hide)

If that's the case, you should be able to SCAN yourself.

Spoiler: You (click to show/hide)

What will you do?

(OceanSoul, I had this ready 2 seconds before you posted, sorry. Might be able to use it next turn.)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 04:52:11 pm by Person »

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 07:19:35 pm »

wait for the darkness hunters to come in, then use telekinesis to force them down and have the cultists tie them.
Edit:lets try to feed our followers a little bit of power. maybe start with number 5? See how it reacts?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 07:26:57 pm by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 07:36:15 pm »

"Well, we ought to have armaments. Like that sword you killed the Unicorn with. And some good combat spells. Don't get me wrong, telekinesis is useful, but something elemental could be great, like fire. What can't be killed with a good amount of fire? Vampires, yes, but we can just use wooden steakinesis. How do we learn new spells or magics. Wait...we? Oh, am I some sort of hive mind of multiple people? While I'm getting all meta here, in what way am I a beast?

....why did I just say any of that?"
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 11:14:13 pm »

Send out our cult members to fight these "darkness hunters". Promise them we will lend them power. While they die and get out of the way,
see if we cant find a way to cook that steak, and think of a few good icebreakers to tell the darkness hunters.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 11:19:43 pm »

Send out our cult members to fight these "darkness hunters". Promise them we will lend them power. While they die and get out of the way,
see if we cant find a way to cook that steak, and think of a few good icebreakers to tell the darkness hunters.

wait for the darkness hunters to come in, then use telekinesis to force them down and have the cultists tie them.
Edit:lets try to feed our followers a little bit of power. maybe start with number 5? See how it reacts?
+1
"Well, we ought to have armaments. Like that sword you killed the Unicorn with. And some good combat spells. Don't get me wrong, telekinesis is useful, but something elemental could be great, like fire. What can't be killed with a good amount of fire? Vampires, yes, but we can just use wooden steakinesis. How do we learn new spells or magics. Wait...we? Oh, am I some sort of hive mind of multiple people? While I'm getting all meta here, in what way am I a beast?

....why did I just say any of that?"
+1

You said that last part ("....why did I just say any of that?") because one of us is trying to make their suggestions seem like your thoughts. The first part was because one of us suggested doing that to you and you complied.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2017, 11:55:50 pm »

hahaha, I like it.
+1

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2017, 12:39:44 pm »

While the idea of getting these guys out of your hair seems appealing, you aren't quite sure about it. Besides, they'd probably notice if you tried to send them to their deaths like that.

... The fact that that's the only part that bothers you feels profound somehow, but you can't really put a finger on it. Nothing for it. You go over and try to retrieve the weapon that's embedded in the unicorn...

Hng. It is really stuck in there. You guess you'll just have to pull harder. ... ... HAH! High pressure blood surges from the wound and splatters all over your body and face. Ugh.

The sword in your hand is extremely jagged. Scan time... The balance is just awful. It seems pretty dull too. Even someone like you can tell this wasn't made for battle. The primary purpose seems to be the efficient extraction of Mana. One word comes to your mind unbidden. Athame. Guess that explains that then.

"Oi you!" You call to a follower at random. He approaches.

"Yes? What is it-" Before he can say another word you grab him and push a bunch of your mana into his body. He spasms involuntarily for a moment, but eventually regains control of himself. You scan his Mana level.

Mana: 15/5 Looks like you overdid it. Is that bad? He catches his breath, slowly reorients himself towards you, and bows deeply. "Such power! Thank you my lord!" He keeps speaking for a bit after that, but the unending praise quickly gets on your nerves. Next item on the agenda is weapons.

"Do you have any weapons of your own?"

The leader responds. "Unfortunately we had to sell just about everything we owned to be able to summon you. My apologies."

Well that's annoying. Your mind turns toward magic, specifically combat spells. You don't think most spells will be difficult to make. Your apparently absurd mana capacity apparently makes brute force an effective magical tactic. You jot a few quick mental ideas down and decide to see if you can conjure weapons.

With a thought, a simple iron sword appears in your right hand. You wonder if you could add the Mana extraction effect to a conjured weapon, but you have a feeling that all those runes on the athame are highly complex. For now, you just conjure iron swords for all the other cultists. Well, that's a start. You hesitate to ask, but...

"In what way am I a beast?" They seem worried by that question, and the leader seems in deep thought.

"Ah, I see. Perhaps you're not fully awake yet after all. Unfortunately we have little time for such details."

You somehow suspect he's not telling you partially as leverage to keep him alive. Clever bastard. Time for fire magic.

You stand in the magic circle and call to the many candles around you. Immediately, the flames drawn inward towards you, and you begin to shape them into an attack. As you fuel the growing fireball with your Mana, the heat begins to intensify. The orb loosely held before you quickly becomes wider than you are tall.

This is bad. You don't have anywhere safe to put all this power. You'll just have to store it somehow. Somehow, instinct prevails. The fireball moves towards your hands, and you start to compress it between them with all your magical power. Sweat rolls down your body from concentration as well as heat. By the time you finish, you hold a small fiery orb in your left hand. Excellent. As your focus returns, you reexamine the room. They all are staring at you in awe.

"Crystalline fire?" Hoo, looks like you spent a lot of mana there.

Mana: 15/100

Wow. That's dangerously low. Let's make some rough estimates.

Simple Temporary Swords: -7
Scanning: -5
Gathering fire(within attuned circle): -3
Channeling fireball: 60
Compressing fireball: 10

Hm. Looks like the blood in the circle boiled from the heat, so you couldn't benefit. How irritating. Well, that's that then. Here's hoping the voices in your head keep giving you good ideas. The hunters are still beating down the big oak double doors. This'll buy some time.

The leader hands you a sheath for the athame. Ah good. Given that all the blood has boiled off the sword, you won't need to clean it, so you place it at your waist for now. Hm. Suddenly, you remember your gurgling stomach. You look at the steak. It sizzles. Apparently some part of your mind wanted this cooked, so you were subconciously levitating it by the fireball. It might be a bit well done, but it seems edible enough.

1 turn until hunters arrive.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 04:47:55 am by Person »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2017, 01:31:11 pm »

Hide on either side of the door, along with cultists.

When they burst in, backstab them and burn them etc...
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6