Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What changes do you make to the game files?

I don't change anything. I play DF as-is from the download
- 8 (9.2%)
I make a couple edits to the init files, but nothing in the RAWS
- 21 (24.1%)
I make a couple edits to the RAWS, but nothing in the init files
- 8 (9.2%)
I make changes to both the RAWS and init files
- 21 (24.1%)
I use a pre-packaged version of DF, such as LNP
- 29 (33.3%)
I wait for my preferred tilesets to be updated
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How do you dwarf the fortress?  (Read 3818 times)

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you dwarf the fortress?
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 03:05:19 pm »

I set SET_LABOR_LISTS to BY_UNIT_TYPE. It's an odd setting because hardly anybody talks about it. Things just seem to get done faster because dwarves have labors related to their primary skill enabled (at the expense of other skills being disabled).

Obviously I also use my own mod, tileset, and color scheme, and tweak init.txt and d_init.txt more, but that setting isn't discussed often so I thought I'd mention it.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 05:55:59 pm by Taffer »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 04:18:43 pm »

That makes only migrants highest skill or skills be enabled by default, right?

Main problem is that migrant with 1 decent level skill typically has more than 1.

TKR101010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2017, 05:19:33 pm »

See, I always just envisioned it as the < key is further away from my hand, and the sky is farther away from me, therefore, < is up and > is down  :P
That's a good way to look at it. Won't work for me though. When I play DF my right hand stays on the 10-key pad and my left hand takes full control of the rest of the keyboard, including the < and >. So in my case the > would be further from my hand.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2017, 05:59:56 pm »

That makes only migrants highest skill or skills be enabled by default, right?

Main problem is that migrant with 1 decent level skill typically has more than 1.

I edited for clarification, especially because it doesn't work as well as memory indicated and I really should do more testing to confirm my biases here. Apologies. From memory and from minimal testing for this response, with BY_UNIT_TYPE set your migrants and starting dwarves have all skills related to their profession enabled and a few others (hauling, for example), but their other skills won't get enabled. This means fewer skills are enabled on your starting dwarves, but in past forts it seemed to keep things happening faster: with SKILLS set I often get migrants with useless skill sets enabled, with BY_UNIT_TYPE their skills are more related to their profession, even if they aren't skilled in them. Testing on the starting dwarves shows fewer labors enabled rather than more, but migrant's skill settings ought to fare better (in theory). It definitely helps keep them focused, because in an efficient fortress all of their skills are more likely to be in one area.

To help make this post slightly more on-topic, I've started setting the default embark size to 3:3, changing the priority to HIGH, and halving G_FPS_CAP to 25. Along with setting TEXTURE_PARAM to NEAREST, it all seems to help contribute to my FPS (especially the embark size, obviously).
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 06:09:23 pm by Taffer »

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2017, 04:07:04 pm »

i usually edit some inits so that all creatures can die from old age.
also i tried D&D-Direforged, but as i need the tools and utilities from the LNP and merging them didnt work as intended and i stopped trying.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2017, 07:43:27 pm »

Well, on my gnu/linux drive I just play ascii and pure vanilla. But on windows I use lnp because having all the utilities and settings right there is just too convinent to pass up.
'ere the Chias get hungry...

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2017, 12:17:12 pm »

I play with ASCII, and I generally don't do any modding at all on my worlds. I do change the init.txt and d_init.txt files a lot, though -- stuff like disabling the intro movie, disabling save compression (due to save corruption issues), lowering the popcap to 140 and enabling seasonal auto-save and backup.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

MaGicBush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2017, 05:28:51 pm »

There was a period where I used Therapist, but I've since grown accustomed to not using it. I simply nickname dwarves with whether they are suitable for the militia and the year they arrived/were born. Also, I have a macro set up for just about any type of labor combo I want and apply it after I quickly clear the labor list.

It also helps having a google docs spreadsheet to keep track of how many dwarves have what labor enabled, etc. Plus, I tend to keep track of what uninvited guests arrive at my fort as well as making neat-o charts.

So your doing what therapist does for you manually. No thanks lol I'll stick with the quick and easy method and just use therapist. I have not seen a downside to using it, but I guess you have since you stopped.

Anyways I always just wait for the lnp to update and the tileset I want and then start playing. I'm pretty patient, as I have already waited almost a year for the update when I start playing again so why not wait another month post release?

« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 05:30:28 pm by MaGicBush »

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2017, 08:10:03 pm »

So your doing what therapist does for you manually. No thanks lol I'll stick with the quick and easy method and just use therapist. I have not seen a downside to using it, but I guess you have since you stopped.

Eh, it wasn't that there were downsides to using therapist, it's actually very nice. Hmmm...

I forgot why I stopped using it, huh. Must not have been something important, then haha

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2017, 08:42:35 pm »

Eh, it wasn't that there were downsides to using therapist, it's actually very nice. Hmmm...

I forgot why I stopped using it, huh. Must not have been something important, then haha

I try to avoid using DFHack when I can, because of the frequent crashes. Maybe that was your reason.
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2017, 08:45:45 pm »

I try to avoid using DFHack when I can, because of the frequent crashes. Maybe that was your reason.

Nothing crashes for me with DFHack.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2017, 08:47:45 pm »

Well, it does on my system :P Though I'm using an old version of openSUSE on a laptop that's already pretty old, so maybe that has to do with something.

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2017, 10:21:26 pm »

Maybe, although now I'm thinking that I just didn't want clutter in my DF folder :P
Hell, on my desktop I have a single folder, and even then I consider deleting that
Pages: 1 [2]