Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What is roll to dodge game?  (Read 1772 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Mood: Looking at tall buildings and feeling small
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
What is roll to dodge game?
« on: August 06, 2017, 06:31:43 pm »

Also, what isnt one?

What are some common attributes that are not neccessarily "required"?
Awesome With Autism
Currently listening to: Goldeneye Menu

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
Re: What is roll to dodge game?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 07:55:42 pm »

Their two type of RtD variants, minimalist and advanced (or at least thats what I call it)

Minimalist requires:
Very little input, no character creation, people just post for some imaginary to fictious plot

Advanced requires:
Usually character creation, maybe dialogue?, general role-playing, plot has some goal behind it that the characters are trying to reach out.

RtD is usually with a 1d6, with a input action from the users and the GM provides a results with

Spoiler: General Formula (click to show/hide)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 08:08:31 pm »

If a game had a die roll mechanic, where you needed a perfect roll just to succeed, with varying dice sizes for harder challenges... is this still rtd? Is gradiant results vs a binary one a defining point/dividing line?
Awesome With Autism

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 08:25:50 pm »

Question: Am I playing an RTD?

Are you rolling dice?
If so, yes, this would be an RTD.
If not, then there would be no "Rolling to Dodge", and thus it is not an RTD.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 08:30:56 pm »

Listen, anything in RTD could fit in Forum Games and Roleplaying, though the minimalistic ones would be quickly shunted over here. Some of the more complicated die-based games (D&D, for example) walk a fine line; put them where you want. If there's no dice, leave it in the parent board.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 10:32:48 pm »

Question: Am I playing an RTD?

Are you rolling dice?
If so, yes, this would be an RTD.
If not, then there would be no "Rolling to Dodge", and thus it is not an RTD.

Would a play-by-post Monopoly or Yahtzee also belong here?
Awesome With Autism

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 10:53:30 pm »

Monopoly, maybe. Yahtzee, no.
Taking a look around should give you a good impression on what people consider to be an RTD.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 03:42:03 am »

I asked same question about two and half years ago and Harry Baldman pointed me to this answer, which I think is very good one.

I've been thinking of game systems, and I think I finally found the line separating a "simple RPG" from an RTD. It's, quite literally, the roll to dodge. The size of the dice does not matter, the skills do not matter, and the existence of epic fails and overshots does not matter. But there can be no RTD if you don't get a roll to respond to an action.

This was found out when I was idly considering Battletech. Or more precisely, rereading some of my favorite BT novels. Anyway, I recalled that Battletech uses a reverse skill- and chart-based system. Lower skill values are better, and any action makes a fixed, unmodified die roll against the required skill value plus/minus situational modifiers. I.e. you have one 'mech pilot shoot another. The shooter rolls a d12, and must roll equal to or greater than the difficulty value, which starts at the shooter's Gunnery skill. Say, the gunnery skill is 4 - so he must roll a 4 or greater on the d12 - pretty easy. But, let's say the target is beyond the shooter's weapon's "optimal" range - which, for a laser, is as close as possible without being adjacent. Let's say it's a decent distance away. Plus the target had been running this turn, and is in the middle of some light forestation, slightly obscured by fog. The range penalty, the moving target penalty, and the cover penalty combined mean that the shooter must now roll an 8 on the d12 - a considerably higher roll. And that's if he was standing this turn, wasn't overheating his 'mech, wasn't in an uncomfortable firing position, and wasn't trying to shoot at another target simultaneously. Et cetera, et cetera.

So, I was thinking about this and RTDs, and I realized that if one were to try and adapt the ruleset to a PbP format, the result would never become an RTD. The rules do not allow the receiver of the action to make a roll to affect its result, instead using the prior actions of the receiver and other circumstances as modifiers to the difficulty of the action.

Anyways, yeah. Just an observation on the nature of the medium we're all enjoying around here.

((Would anyone be interested in testing out a hypothetical mapless adaptation of the Battletech rules, using an RTD premise but not actual RTD rules? Just checking. >_>))
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 09:01:16 am »

Hmmmmm. It seems he says RTD must have a roll "in response to an action".

What I don't get, is after he explains how, in BattleTech, this doesn't count.
Awesome With Autism

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 05:31:39 am »

I haven't played BattleTech any form, but as I undestand it, only attacker rolls there. Defending player doesn't get a roll to dodge. And that's what makes the difference.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 07:11:25 am »

Essentially, it's all about contested rolls.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2017, 10:22:00 am »

In times where players have "boosts" what are some of the common ways this affects a roll, and specifically overshot?

Things like, armor, weapons, skills ect.

Edit:
Hi I had some roll to dodge questions for you.

Do you use the 6D format with overshot?

How do stats and weapons affect this roll? Do they increase the chance of overshot or remove it entirely?
No, I use the d6 format with overshoots  :P

Positive stats means no overshoot unless the person is doing something difficult, something that would be almost impossible without the stat bonus. Weapons are taken into account when doing competing rolls (e.g. 6+1 vs 4 in a fight, the +1 might come from a broken chairleg or other weapon). All fights for me are competing rolls, unless one side can do nothing about the other (e.g. they don't know that their opponent is present).

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 10:42:37 am by roseheart »
Awesome With Autism

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2017, 05:25:19 pm »

IMO, RTD is defined by the gradient between total failure and total success. In DnD, if you roll a 9 on a DC 10 roll, you just fail, that's it. The same would happen if you had rolled a 2 or a 6. But in RTD there are at any given time six unique different things that could happen every time you roll a die, which means more unintended consequences, more odd situations. The fact that the characters don't ONLY succeed and fail, but fail utterly, half-succeed, get carried away... it opens up so many different possibilities, that not even the GM could have seen coming. You trade the players' and the GM's control over the plot for the RNG's control, and often she's better at coming up with stories than we ever could be.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 08:46:53 pm »

*slow clap*

Is lady luck the official mascot? :P
Awesome With Autism

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2017, 09:36:38 pm »

RNGesus is a canon deity around here.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.