Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 46

Author Topic: Hive Race: The Hive  (Read 36736 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hive Race: The Hive
« Reply #390 on: August 20, 2017, 08:58:20 am »

If we indeed gain only 45 manpower from the forest queen, I suggest to consider queen that will try other benefits, like my Lamana proposal with attitude to inventing stuff.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 20, 2017, 09:00:31 am »

Well my logic is that we have 4 base food. Forest queen converts base wood in base food. Conversion ratio means that we'll get 0.2 base food from the forest queen...

Nope, likely doesn't work that way. Reread the rules. Base amount doesn't take techs into account
I assumed it worked in the striked out way myself. If it is true that we would only generate 45 manpower from a new Forest Queen, then yeah, it ain't worth the dice.

Iituem, could you clarify this? Does the wood base yield effectively get converted into 10% food base yield, or what?

You can shift how much timber a forest Queen eats, it's just 50% by default.  But right now, yes, the xylophagia rate is pretty damn terrible without further research.  You aren't even getting 10%.  Unless you develop it further, a Forest Queen is more of a desperate backup than a viable option right now.

The modifiers to food production from Ruminant Digestive System only apply to Food queens rather than Wood queens (that's based off their xylophagia rate).  The general modifiers to birth rate/reinforcement rate will apply across the board.

Please note that you do not have to deploy the designed queen this turn.  The Queen will save the design until she is ready to deploy.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 20, 2017, 09:02:45 am »

Okay then.

Let's shelve that idea for being utterly terrible.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 20, 2017, 09:11:49 am »

Ah. Yeah, screw that noise. I thought we'd be effectively getting .2 food out of the deal, giving us 5% more manpower.

In that case, Silvia is toilets. If we aren't deploying her in a forest, then A)the name is no longer punny, B)there's no need for the inefficient omnivorous digestive system. Or any fancy features, really. Maybe the mobile state-->immobile state is still a good idea?

Queen Design:
"Anatress": (1) Shadowclaw
"Novico": (2) Flazeo25, Crazyabe
"Forest Princess" N.S.C.: (2) RAM, Wolfchild
"Silvia": (2) 10ebbor10, strongpoint
"Lamana": ()

Designs:
Bombardier: (1) Shadowclaw
Revencher: (2) Flazeo25, Crazyabe
Vespa: (2) RAM, Wolfchild
No Design : (3) 10ebbor10, strongpoint, NUKE9.13
Mace tail
Advanced digging
Farming
Long Live United Forenia!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: August 20, 2017, 09:22:53 am »

Depending on the finalised proposal, you may get either an Advantage to Effectiveness, Cost or Bug-fixing/avoidance.  Invoking your Advantage lets you roll the die twice, picking the better roll.  An excellent proposal may see other benefits.

Iituem, I am confused here. Do we need to design and deploy a queen to get the bonus or merely designing is enough? Is it a one time or recurring bonus?"

« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 09:29:11 am by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 20, 2017, 09:39:54 am »

Depending on the finalised proposal, you may get either an Advantage to Effectiveness, Cost or Bug-fixing/avoidance.  Invoking your Advantage lets you roll the die twice, picking the better roll.  An excellent proposal may see other benefits.

Iituem, I am confused here. Do we need to design and deploy a queen to get the bonus or merely designing is enough? Is it a one time or recurring bonus?"

One time Advantage from the design.  If and when the Queen is deployed, there may be resulting effects for that territory.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 20, 2017, 10:16:19 am »

According to my calculation forest queen will produce 0.106 reinforcement from a single unit of wood. If we spend all 900 wood this way... We'll get 95.5 manpower per turn or +1.2%.

With no forest queen deployed we need a usage for wood and I want to go for a simple but practical solution.

Low-Power, Endurance Muscles      Drones by default use slow-burn muscles capable of great sustained strength and endurance, but not powerful explosive discharges of muscle power.
This kind of muscles are really good for accumulating energy and even if our workers are dog sized they should be able to pull a quite tight bowstring and shoot their arrows quite far.

Bows
With an access to timber and chance to study captured bows, hive starts production of their own version of this weapon to arm workers. This bows may be not as refined as one made by league's masterful crafters but they are functional. Lacking good eyesight workers shoot their arrows at area in coordinated volleys. Naturally, before engaging in melee bows are discarded. Attempt to develop much larger bows compatible with warrior's pincers is also made. Bows will be also used in hunting for a more efficient food gain

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: August 20, 2017, 10:22:49 am »

The way I see it, we are suffering form a catastrophic lack of ranged units, so why don't we give our Workers a chance to have a ranged weapon.

Darter Modification
In almost every aspect, this Drone is basically the same as a Worker, except that its throat and mouth has been modified to give it the ability to spit a hardened dart, either made internally with similar composition to Bone, or from an external source, such as metal, if the drone is particularly industrious. From the range of a short bow, the Darter can fire the bolt until its internal magazine runs dry, then it will either enter into the fray or hold back and wait until its darts resupply.

Queen Design:
"Silvia": (2) 10ebbor10, strongpoint
"Lamana": ()

Designs:
No Design : (3) 10ebbor10, strongpoint, NUKE9.13
Mace tail
Advanced digging
Farming
Darter Caste: (1) Blood_Librarian

Edit: it seems Strong point made a post about bows I don't think the hive can use bows with our claws.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: August 20, 2017, 10:30:12 am »

I think I want our next queen to be a smart lass and I like a dedicated production line for smaller drones so I vote for my slightly modified proposal. Will likely change my vote for some new queen proposed

I want use for our timber so I am voting for bows. Not fancy but should be working

Queen Design:
"Silvia": (1) 10ebbor10
"Lamana": (1) strongpoint

Designs:
No Design : (2) 10ebbor10, NUKE9.13
Mace tail
Advanced digging
Farming
Bows (1) Strongpoint

Blood_Librarian, 1) Darter Modification doesn't look like one that is worth design  will likely increase cost of workers and doesn't seem that effective. Also, I fail to see how this limbs (...and possessing two arms with four-digit graspers....) can't fire a bow. Warrior sized bows are harder to do with their pincers, but I don't think those are impossible
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 10:38:41 am by Strongpoint »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: August 20, 2017, 10:46:44 am »

The GM has said that all we need to do to turn the Spitter into a non-nat effort is to revise it.

I hence see no point in messing about with a new ranged unit.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: August 20, 2017, 10:51:31 am »

Effectiveness

First front :  16 hunters kill 4 spearmen, 55 slaves
Second Front : 8 hunters kill  3 spearmen, 26 slaves
Third Front : 7 hunters kill 1 spearmen, 24 slaves

So, on average 3.5 Slaves and 0.25 Spearman per Hunter

compared to Workers

First front :
      - Skirmish : 3 hoplites, 23 spearmen, 186 slaves by 1,147 Workers
Second Front :
      - Skirmish : 4 hoplites, 25 spearmen, 150 slaves by 975 workers
Third front :
      - Skirmish : 2 hoplites, 18 spearmen, 187 slaves by 1,131 Workers

(Values have been quadrupled, because Workers contribute 1/3 of their force in skirmish that they can contribute in melee)

0.64 Slaves + 0.1 Spearmen + 0.016 Hoplites
Actually numbers may be move favorable for hunters because they likely contributed in skirmish phase, too

The GM has said that all we need to do to turn the Spitter into a non-nat effort is to revise it
This makes me want to design a broad effect and spend one revision on hunters and another on spitters. Next turn we design a new nat effort and burn two strategic rolls in it.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 20, 2017, 11:45:48 am »

Anyway, our current tactics are incredibly primitive, consisting of charging to the enemy as fast as you can.

Design : Tactics : Penetration of the center

In this tactic, the flanks (filled with weaker units) engage the enemy flanks first. This ties up these flanks and prevents their further movement. Then, a concentrated force of heavy units punches through the center, rapidly collapsing. The mobile reserves follow the central push through the enemy lines, moving to envelop the two flanks, surrounding them and attacking them from several directions at once.

I expect this to be very effective for several reasons  :

1) The enemy flanks consist primarily of unarmed slaves. They're not particularly dangerous or going to do any spectacular maneuvers
2) In the center, we'll see about 200 Soldiers going up against 300 Spearman. The enormous qualitative advantage and force concentration should be sufficient for breakthrough
3) With hivemind communication, messing up the timing should be hard.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 11:50:15 am by 10ebbor10 »

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 20, 2017, 12:57:23 pm »

Queen Design:
"Forest Princess" N.S.C.: (3) RAM, Wolfchild, Puppyguard
"Silvia": (1) 10ebbor10
"Lamana": (1) strongpoint

Designs:
Vespa: (3) RAM, Wolfchild, Puppyguard
No Design : (2) 10ebbor10, NUKE9.13
Mace tail
Advanced digging
Farming
Bows (1) Strongpoint

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 20, 2017, 01:02:23 pm »

Why the Vespa?

It seems like a generally pointless idea. A flying unit with a range of less than 15 meters is not exactly usefull. That short range sticks it solidly as a melee unit, and we already have enough of those. We don't need a unit which will have enormous manpower cost, atrocious attrition and be mostly combat ineffective.

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 20, 2017, 01:03:06 pm »

It's the first step of many.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 46