Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 46

Author Topic: Hive Race: The Hive  (Read 37476 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hive Race: The Hive
« Reply #375 on: August 20, 2017, 04:58:59 am »

Princess "Lamana":
Gross physical anatomy: Lamana looks almost like a regular worker drone with a slightly enlarged abdomen. Naturally Princess Lamana can't lay many eggs or large eggs but she lays eggs often capable to transform food into an egg with a lightning speed. Her main limitation is inability to produce any drone large than a cat, but Lamana is  more effective in producing small drones than her mother. In the same time her inability to produce own emitics and workers is intentional to reduce chances of rebellion.

Nutrition: Obligate Carnivorous Digestive System. She need it to power her strong mind and give her ability to produce many small eggs quickly.

Environmental Tolerance&Defenses: Roughly similar to ones of a worker drone

Being unable to give birth to her own emitics and workers Lamana is largely dependent on her mother and this is intended by her mother to reduce any chance of rebellion

Personality:
Lamana have a keen mind of an inventor and don't hesitate to engage herself in creative activities using all worker's tools she posses. She is infused with a sense of love toward her mother and have no ambitions beside inventing stuff for the good of the hive.

My idea here is to get a bonus to designing\revising technologies and branch into an army of small drones. Not sure that it is good enough to vote but I wanted to share the idea. Digestion is stolen from Nuke because I am lazy.

Queen Design:
"Anatress": (1) Shadowclaw
"Novico": (2) Flazeo25, Crazyabe
"Vespa" :
"Silvia"  : (1) 10ebbor10
"Lamana :" (0)

Designs:
Bombardier: (1) Shadowclaw
Revencher: (2) Flazeo25, Crazyabe
No Design : (2) 10ebbor10, strongpoint

I am not sure about the queen and will take some time deciding. I am sure that we need to save rolls
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 10:33:21 am by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 20, 2017, 05:09:21 am »

As nice as it would be to focus on solid infantry and resist the temptation to go all super-weapon, we are severely lacking in combined arms and need to address it with haste. We have no siege units, if we encounter a fortress all we can do is attempt to mob them with overwhelming force, which will likely grow more difficult as more fronts open up. A siege-based national effort that could be moved to fortress fronts for free would be nice, but at present we have nothing.
We have no standard ranged units. Our national effort is good, but elsewhere we are stuck with nothing. If they can hold our infantry, then we are basically forced to engage on their terms. They are only a little ways off from getting phalanxes, those could be some serious bad-news for ever seeing an enemy ranged-unit die again.
We have little in the way of concentrated force. Soldiers are good, but slow, they can be avoided somewhat. If the enemy has something that can devastate our forces if left unchecked, or can wade through seas of workers with no chance of harm, then we can't really do anything to promptly, or ever, stop them. Something that can quickly apply overwhelming force to a small area could be very important.
We have no breakthrough force and our harassment is weak. Normally, cavalry would be able to take a weakness in the enemy lines and turn it into a divided force, and can take a fleeing army and turn it into a dead army. Hunters are good at the latter but pretty useless at the former. now, this is not really demonstrated in the current simulation, but it could become a thing, and we are woefully ill-prepared to exploit it.

I don't think that we need three different types of spearmen, but something that can prioritise high-vale targets and something that can break walls would be very useful additions. And we do need a way to cross oceans without dying. And sinking boats would be super-wonderful too... I really think that we need about three more unit types before we can start worrying about much more efficiency upgrades.

Queens are a bottleneck. I really don't understand the interest in different digestive systems. They need to pump out massive volumes of babies and that means vast amounts of energy in a very small amount of time. New digestive systems would be nice, but the queens seem like a terrible place to put it, and a terrible place to make potentially risky developments on the efficiency front. the metamorphosis thing is fun, we could do a lot with that in general, being buggy, but it seems unnecessary. there is, presumably, a way to get the queen to hatch on-site, or something... given that it wasn't mentioned... I am not against it, but it seems like a lot of effort for something that won't come up much.

Obviously my queen is the best, aside from the name, I may have to steal Sylvia, it is clever, maybe try a Russian version? How would one apply Russian feminine naming conventions to Sylvia... "daughter of forest" has a nice ring to it... But mostly mine is set up to do the whole "Robin Hood" thing while working on the environmental bit that could be a huge problem if the enemy finds a way to exploit it. It would be nice to make the forest queens super-breeders instead of guerrilla fighters, but they have serious food-supply quandaries as it is and we likely don't want to heavily fortify every forest. If we can multiply the forest-bonus then that could go a long way towards giving us a stable bonus to production with minimal maintenance.

Oh, also, I am hoping that we could mount a Vespa head onto a soldier to make a siege unit as a revision...

Queen Design:
"Forest Princess" N.S.C.: (1) RAM
"Silvia": (1) 10ebbor10
"Lamana": ()

Designs:
Vespa: (1) RAM
No Design : (1) 10ebbor10
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 05:10:57 am by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: August 20, 2017, 05:15:09 am »

Fun fact everyone.

The enemy appears to have given up on Bowmen. There were no reinforcements for those in the last battle

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 20, 2017, 05:25:16 am »

On a side note, what's up with everyone trying to put infrared spots on everything? Those things aren't free, they have a pretty big energy cost.

Are people honestly expecting that an Elephant sized insect can sneak up on an enemy camp?

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 20, 2017, 05:49:43 am »

I am obvisouly not contributing much, but as this is my 1st Arms race I want to mostly just vote on proposals rather than submit my own, that said I kinda agree with RAM atm I want flyers and we shouldn't be trying to play with the queen's digestion too much at this moment
Queen Design:
"Forest Princess" N.S.C.: (2) RAM, Wolfchild
"Silvia": (1) 10ebbor10

Designs:
Vespa: (2) RAM, Wolfchild
No Design : (1) 10ebbor10
[/quote]
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: August 20, 2017, 05:56:24 am »

I once again urge to not vote for new types of drones. We should go for either no design or design that improves our current drones. We have no way to benefit from brand new drones  and we definitely have no rolls to spare to fix bad rolls.

I strongly prefer no design , but here is few of my ideas to provide alternatives to new type of drone (which I consider a huge waste no matter how good it is)

Mace tail
Using new technique of biological springs Queen develops a new kind of limb A scorpion-like tail that have a spiked ball of chitin on its tip. It meant to be added to Hunter, Worker and Warrior designs.

Hunters get a secondary weapon and an assistance to balancing during running or jumping. Workers get a weapon optimized for crushing through enemy armor. Warriors get a powerful ram capable to smash through gates and some walls.

Advanced digging
With years of experience and newfound availability of wood to build supports in tunnels, the hive have improved its construction techniques. They learned how to build wider and deeper tunnels improving logistics. They learned how to build irrigation channels to bring water to areas used to gather plant products. They learned how to effectively construct pit traps both for energy efficient hunting and for battle. They learned how to effectively dig simple temporary trenches to protect themselves against ranged weapons or create obstacle for the charging horses.

Farming
After capturing and interrogating some of few farmers residing Dromio, Hive learned some basic farming techniques. They start to plant seeds, build irrigation channels, hunt down pests and use hive's waste filled with proper bacteria as potent fertilizer.

Queen Design:
"Silvia": (2) 10ebbor10, strongpoint

Designs:
No Design : (2) 10ebbor10, strongpoint
Mace tail
Advanced digging
Farming
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 05:58:35 am by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 20, 2017, 06:13:05 am »

Yup.

Remember, if we want to deploy the forest queen, then we need 2 Dice for that. This means that any ambitious idea, like the flyer and such will not be able to be fixed if it has any flaws. In addition, we won't be able to direct a decent amount of manpower.

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 20, 2017, 06:32:35 am »

Yeah but we still need something for sieging otherwise our first fronts are going to keep stalling. As for drones the spitters acid is less effective thanks to the enemy new magic spells.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 20, 2017, 06:42:25 am »

Yeah but we still need something for sieging otherwise our first fronts are going to keep stalling. As for drones the spitters acid is less effective thanks to the enemy new magic spells.
And we have an urgent need to break front 1 because...? We are very fine with the 1st front being stalled for some time.

Anyway, lets assume we get a working siege design. What will we cut for it? Workers to make the problem of their attrition even worse and lose all our gains because of lack of TC? Hunters to drop the charge phase? Warrior to make our melee worse?

Now what will you do in case of low rolls and shitty siege unit? Revise it and abandon plans for new queen? Place queen in a non-fortified territory risking her safety? Not mentioning that we kinda want to improve hunters.

Oh, and any complex drone have a good chance to be a nat effort. We can't have two, and we can't unnat effort spitters if we want the queen
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 06:50:08 am by Strongpoint »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 20, 2017, 06:57:15 am »

Queen Design:
"Silvia": (3) 10ebbor10, strongpoint, NUKE9.13

Designs:
No Design : (3) 10ebbor10, strongpoint, NUKE9.13
Mace tail
Advanced digging
Farming
Long Live United Forenia!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 20, 2017, 07:06:43 am »

Forest Queens:  As a Strategic Action, the Hive can now spawn a Queen in a forested area, producing food and manpower based off the Timber value of the region.  Since the Hive is much less efficient at gathering timber than it is food and the Hive currently digests 'timber' at 10% of its base food rate, such a Queen would be malnourished and only produce a handful of drones.  It is, however, possible.  Unless otherwise directed, Forest Queens will consume 50% of the Timber supply of a region.

On a side note, I'm not sure we actually want a forest queen.

4 Timber produces 900 timber. Half of this is used by the forest queen, leaving 450. This is digested at 10% efficiency, giving us  a grand total of 45 food.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: August 20, 2017, 07:24:26 am »

We'll get +5% to overall reinforcement rate from the new queen, right?. It is not bad for a single roll considering that there are other benefits.

Some people do expect huge income, looking at proposal's like RAM's who expect huge production. This is absolutely not a case here.

Low expected birth rate is a reason why I proposed a queen with a bonus to a production of a subset of drones and additional benefit. I think her personality can be better because it is a rough draft, not a refined proposal.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: August 20, 2017, 07:27:57 am »

We'll get +5% to overall reinforcement rate from the new queen, right?.

Not that I know, where does it say that?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 20, 2017, 07:32:25 am »

Well my logic is that we have 4 base food. Forest queen converts base wood in base food. Conversion ratio means that we'll get 0.2 base food from the forest queen...

Nope, likely doesn't work that way. Reread the rules. Base amount doesn't take techs into account

« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 07:37:41 am by Strongpoint »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 20, 2017, 07:56:24 am »

Well my logic is that we have 4 base food. Forest queen converts base wood in base food. Conversion ratio means that we'll get 0.2 base food from the forest queen...

Nope, likely doesn't work that way. Reread the rules. Base amount doesn't take techs into account
I assumed it worked in the striked out way myself. If it is true that we would only generate 45 manpower from a new Forest Queen, then yeah, it ain't worth the dice.

Iituem, could you clarify this? Does the wood base yield effectively get converted into 10% food base yield, or what?
Long Live United Forenia!
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 46