Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41]

Author Topic: Sindari: Immortals-OOC  (Read 32648 times)

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
Re: Sindari: Immortals-OOC
« Reply #600 on: June 05, 2018, 05:17:02 pm »

I don’t think it really has ever come up before.  :P
We only met the human prince anyway--all we knew is that there's a 'Dragon Emperor' and people speculated "RULED BY A DRAGON :D'
...Now we know ._.;
I'm totally in support of China. But we seriously do need other Sindari to pitch in now. :-\

That means player proactivity because we lack an intelligence network.

I'm typing this from work so I don't have time to check out further discussions in Discord or possibly make a post in the IC if applicable but I will answer you in Discord soon.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: June 16, 2018, 03:11:27 pm »

Name: (Optional) Masuda
Alias: (Optional) None Yet
Appearance: Masuda is a well-dressed 13-year-old. He's rather tall and is a little skinny. He conducts himself in a manner that is both naive and sheltered.
Class: Onderios
Abilities: Blink, Ghostly Assistance (Masuda can call on the spirit of Ammon for advice and assistance with mental tasks)
Attributes: *Strength:8 *Agility:16 Intelligence:2 *Willpower:8 Perception: 2 Presence:2
Wealth/Assets: 0
Influence:0
Worshipers/Power:0
Family: His Father and Mother (currently arrested by the Cisharn)
Skills: none

So hows this for a new character?

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: June 16, 2018, 03:27:23 pm »

Name: (Optional) Masuda
Alias: (Optional) None Yet
Appearance: Masuda is a well-dressed 13-year-old. He's rather tall and is a little skinny. He conducts himself in a manner that is both naive and sheltered.
Class: Onderios
Abilities: Blink, Ghostly Assistance (Masuda can call on the spirit of Ammon for advice and assistance with mental tasks)
Attributes: *Strength:8 *Agility:16 Intelligence:2 *Willpower:8 Perception: 2 Presence:2
Wealth/Assets: 0
Influence:0
Worshipers/Power:0
Family: His Father and Mother (currently arrested by the Cisharn)
Skills: none

So hows this for a new character?

A link to your past self isn't a secondary ability apparently, Glass got it free for writing awesome fluff (and you also write awesome fluff).
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: June 16, 2018, 03:45:42 pm »

Eh, but Jerick can probably get a much more potent version by having it be a secondary ability. It might allow him to make use of Ammon's pre-death skills, for example, whereas I still had to train those all back up.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: June 16, 2018, 03:57:40 pm »

Eh, but Jerick can probably get a much more potent version by having it be a secondary ability. It might allow him to make use of Ammon's pre-death skills, for example, whereas I still had to train those all back up.

Then say that specifically. Like "5x training boost to skills Ammon had, up to his level" or something
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: June 17, 2018, 09:18:51 am »

A link to your past self isn't a secondary ability apparently, Glass got it free for writing awesome fluff (and you also write awesome fluff).
hum. Wish the structures I made could help folks ._. Hard to balance mechanically, yes, but I was told that books and otherwise can speed up skill training to 6 and only until there.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: June 17, 2018, 09:34:13 am »

hum. Wish the structures I made could help folks ._. Hard to balance mechanically, yes, but I was told that books and otherwise can speed up skill training to 6 and only until there.

Structures?

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: June 18, 2018, 02:56:59 pm »

It's a bit late seeing as how the Dragon is agreeing to peace but here's what I would have suggested to do in the war;

Casualties:Allied 35,000, 1,500 braves (Out of 45,000 and 2,000)
Atlantean 12,000 (out of 40,000) large proportion of leadership lost, levies have low morale.
So we're looking at 10,500 allied troops against 28,000 enemy troops who are mostly levies with little leadership. Close to three to one odds... that is difficult but not unwinnable. If the allied forces engage the enemy in a straight fight they will lose. If they stay and hold the fortress they will be contained in and lose. The key to winning this fight is to not out fight the enemy army but to out march it. Rather than fight the enemy the army should continuously move away and deny the enemy a decisive engagement, ideally while eliminating enemy scouting and foraging parties and harassing the enemy. If the enemy attempts to stop chasing the allied army the allied army returns to continue harassing enemy until they withdraw or resume following the allied forces.

The allied forces as a smaller force of disciplined soldiers is far more nimble than the enemy for a number of reasons;
  • They are better marchers (it can not be understated just how much difference than can make over a full day spent marching)
  • They are far more organised (this effects all kinds of things, such as the speed and efficiency with which they can make and break camp, sorting out general issues before they happen and preventing unnecessary supply lose and expenditure)
  • Smaller forces can get past choke points like bridges far easier. A large disorganized column like the enemy has will repeated get snagged on such choke points. (They can counter this by thinning their column but that makes them far more vulnerable to hit and run attacks)
  • The allied forces know the terrain
All this means they'll be able to outpace the enemy easily (unless there's something I missed, it has been a while since I last followed this game after all). But so what? We get the Cisharni to march all over the place what does that get us? Well you see a large part of marching is ensuring the marching soldiers maintain their energy while traveling long distances. Poor marching form will slow you down and burn more energy than you need to and levies are not trained how to march properly. The fact that they are slower will mean that in addition to this they will need to march harder and longer to keep up. They will have less time every day to setup camp and prepare food, less time to sleep (little to no time to sleep if the allies send night raids with the simple aim of denying the enemy sleep) By the time allied forces choose to engage, the enemy forces should be utter exhausted. On top of that maintaining their elongated supplies lines is costly in terms of men and raw resources. Every piece of bread fed to Cisharni forces in the east cost them an order of magnitude more than the fresher healthier bread the allied troops are eating. Further more the act of marching long distances burns a hell of a lot of chemical energy requiring that they eat far more than would be necessary for a camped resting army.

March rings around the enemy and exhaust them and their leader deprived levies who are unsuited to a protracted campaign. This way when it comes down to fight at a time and a place of your choosing you can send relatively rested disciplined soldiers against exhausted sleep deprived levies. The allied forces would go through them like a scythe through wheat.

But ah well it's too late now.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: June 18, 2018, 06:47:56 pm »

Now I remember why I've been trying so hard to get you back in Jerick.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: June 18, 2018, 10:23:14 pm »

It's a bit late seeing as how the Dragon is agreeing to peace but here's what I would have suggested to do in the war;

Casualties:Allied 35,000, 1,500 braves (Out of 45,000 and 2,000)
Atlantean 12,000 (out of 40,000) large proportion of leadership lost, levies have low morale.
So we're looking at 10,500 allied troops against 28,000 enemy troops who are mostly levies with little leadership. Close to three to one odds... that is difficult but not unwinnable. If the allied forces engage the enemy in a straight fight they will lose. If they stay and hold the fortress they will be contained in and lose. The key to winning this fight is to not out fight the enemy army but to out march it. Rather than fight the enemy the army should continuously move away and deny the enemy a decisive engagement, ideally while eliminating enemy scouting and foraging parties and harassing the enemy. If the enemy attempts to stop chasing the allied army the allied army returns to continue harassing enemy until they withdraw or resume following the allied forces.

The allied forces as a smaller force of disciplined soldiers is far more nimble than the enemy for a number of reasons;
  • They are better marchers (it can not be understated just how much difference than can make over a full day spent marching)
  • They are far more organised (this effects all kinds of things, such as the speed and efficiency with which they can make and break camp, sorting out general issues before they happen and preventing unnecessary supply lose and expenditure)
  • Smaller forces can get past choke points like bridges far easier. A large disorganized column like the enemy has will repeated get snagged on such choke points. (They can counter this by thinning their column but that makes them far more vulnerable to hit and run attacks)
  • The allied forces know the terrain
All this means they'll be able to outpace the enemy easily (unless there's something I missed, it has been a while since I last followed this game after all). But so what? We get the Cisharni to march all over the place what does that get us? Well you see a large part of marching is ensuring the marching soldiers maintain their energy while traveling long distances. Poor marching form will slow you down and burn more energy than you need to and levies are not trained how to march properly. The fact that they are slower will mean that in addition to this they will need to march harder and longer to keep up. They will have less time every day to setup camp and prepare food, less time to sleep (little to no time to sleep if the allies send night raids with the simple aim of denying the enemy sleep) By the time allied forces choose to engage, the enemy forces should be utter exhausted. On top of that maintaining their elongated supplies lines is costly in terms of men and raw resources. Every piece of bread fed to Cisharni forces in the east cost them an order of magnitude more than the fresher healthier bread the allied troops are eating. Further more the act of marching long distances burns a hell of a lot of chemical energy requiring that they eat far more than would be necessary for a camped resting army.

March rings around the enemy and exhaust them and their leader deprived levies who are unsuited to a protracted campaign. This way when it comes down to fight at a time and a place of your choosing you can send relatively rested disciplined soldiers against exhausted sleep deprived levies. The allied forces would go through them like a scythe through wheat.

But ah well it's too late now.

"Hence that general is skillful in attack whose opponent does not know what to defend; and he is skillful in defense whose opponent does not know what to attack." - "Sun Tzu, a possible Sindari

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: June 18, 2018, 10:44:37 pm »

We could 100% have Jerick's next Sindari form be Sun Tzu if they wanted to.
However, I don't think they do.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: September 03, 2018, 10:19:06 pm »

Just a reminder, this isn't dead.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: September 04, 2018, 03:29:28 pm »

Not by a long shot

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: September 16, 2018, 09:35:13 pm »

Ok C2, as I regained my memories of my human life, do I get some of the skills that Orion had, or a bonus to getting those skills back, or nothing?

Rahx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: September 16, 2018, 09:36:15 pm »

Just for notes for C2. Benefits for having records of all possible Sindari related instructions and inventions with the how-to in replicating. Not sure on the benefit but it should let people treat a skillcheck as if they had a significantly higher level as long as they could understand what they are trying to do.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41]