Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Just learned how amazingly simple Modding is!  (Read 988 times)

Metalsoul212

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Just learned how amazingly simple Modding is!
« on: August 07, 2017, 05:19:32 pm »

So recently had the urge to start learning how to mod the game and was surprised at how simple it is! Within an hour I had Mithril veins and the ability to smelt it and work it into armor and weapons! Made my smelters produce puffs of smoke everytime something is smelted which added some life to the game. But I have a couple questions though I believe I might already have the answer. It seems to me the workshops are hard coded into the game so adding my billowing smoke to the reactions in the forges is evading me! Also it seems liquids like water and magma are hard coded as well, as I don't seem to be able to figure out how I could add liquids with depth. I wanted to make the forges require a hammer and swage and die set to be part of the construction materials just for realism and as I mentioned before I believe it's hard coded. Is there a way around all of this that doesn't require me to actually rebuild the game? (Don't intend on doing that)
If there is a way to do these things is there any source of documentation you could direct me too?

Thanks ahead of time!

Edit: In fact if there is any good documentation beyond the wiki and toadys comments in the raws themselves? Was thinking of downloading some mods just to peek at how some of you more experienced modders accomplish things, I'm assuming this is not frowned upon!?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 05:23:00 pm by Metalsoul212 »

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Just learned how amazingly simple Modding is!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 09:53:37 pm »

1) Smelters are hardcoded and you can't edit them easily (you can use some tricks, but none them work all that well)
2) The wiki is all there is.
3) Looking at other modder's work is the easiest way to learn advanced stuff. I don't know of a single modder that objects to people tearing their work apart to see how it works.

Feel free to look at any of my stuff. I tend to specialize in hardcore DFHack modding, and I use Rubble for everything, so my work is probably a bad place to start... (Rubble is a tool that makes modding easier, but it is more complicated than standard raws for a beginner)
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Novurist

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 03:45:25 am »

It would be interesting to know how you achieved the smoke puffs. Did you add another result to each reaction to create a stone with a fixed high temperature that burns up immediately? Or did you add some syndrome?

Metalsoul212

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 07:25:26 pm »

Created a stone with a fixed temp that evaporates immediately and added it to the smelting reactions just like you figured! It produces ten of these evaporating stones so it actually produces enough to give a good effect. I can share the raws if you want. I'm in the process of adding new races of elves and humans with complete personalitys, ethics, unique equipment, different biomes, and unique skin and eye colors. So far their all fleshed out, only the elves (now with pointed ears to boot) have the ethics and personalitys completed. I'm basing it loosely off a mix of Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms. I intend to eventually add Draconians with different castes, one that is superior in strength, one that is capable of flight, and a small amount that is able to shoot fireballs. Drow with a dominate female caste. Illithids with some mind altering abilities. Evil dark dwarves. Now that I'm stuck in the perpetual modding hole I won't actually get to play the game for months I'm thinking...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 07:42:55 pm by Metalsoul212 »

Metalsoul212

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 07:35:34 pm »

The stones evaporate at room temperature so no !!fun!! Involved.
Currently have wild elves that use the wooden weapons and armor and hate wooden goods. They live in wetlands primarily. They have darker skin tones and tribal tattoos.
Social elves that are more accepting of humans and dwarfs. They enjoy trading and use metal, they can be a little prissy, but are tolerant of the other races. They live in temperate forests. Have human like skin tones and are about the same height as humans.
Secluded elves that are very untrusting, they have a more powerful military and are more advanced then their cousins. They will trade and make use of metal, but they and very untrusting, humorless, and typically quick to anger. They tend to live in tropical forests. They will get on your ass about cutting down trees after a while. They all have fair skin tones and green eye colors. Their tall, broad, and stronger than they look.

blapnk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 01:36:33 pm »

Side note about unintended consequences: a dwarf gets experience for each item created in a reaction, including those boulders of smoke! Ten extra items is a lot of extra experience (for a skill that doesn't benefit that much from it mind). Unless you've added your smoke stone as an extra product of the ores themselves and used the hardcoded/vanilla reactions, which might possibly work differently?