Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we leave planet Earth

No it is really <comfy> here :^)
Sorry what was the question?
The galaxy is a hoax, nothing exists outside of planet earth.
Why don't scientists do something useful like fix the economy instead?
We don't need to go to vacuum in space, we have vacuums here.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 30

Author Topic: Stellaris: Never leave Earth  (Read 81212 times)

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Never leave Earth
« Reply #210 on: December 04, 2017, 07:39:17 pm »

... You could mod/cheat at the game so that the The End of the Cycle event happens at a point in time of your choosing.

+1 to mass migration, though.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 04, 2017, 07:56:39 pm »

The end of the cycle is going to be the most pathetic thing ever.

Every Shroud-Marked colony will spawn a shroud manifestation with 26k Fleet Power. Finally, an immensely powerful Shroud entity known as "The Reckoning" - representing the combined essence of all deceased psionic individuals in the former empire that summoned it - will appear over the empire's former homeworld, and proceed to seek out the remaining life in the galaxy. It normally leaves the exiles for last, and therefore an exiled empire should first prioritize surviving against other empires instead.

Health (Bonus): 10,000
Shield (Bonus): 50,000
Rate of Fire (Multiplier): 4.35 Cooldown
Damage (Multiplier): 4 x 300-700
Range: 170
5x jumpdrive 30% Evasion. Four weapon mounts

Yeah, it's impressive, but nowhere near what it could be with a empire that actually colonizes.

Wiki on the End of the Cycle

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #212 on: December 04, 2017, 08:31:26 pm »

So TLDR: I confused sapient robots with the arbitrary definition of A.I loud whispers uses, thus most of our arguments were pointless for us both.
They are the definitions in the game m8 >_>
Good Lord fam I can only tell you in so many ways the same thing: You are describing a robot that has no sapience, not a synth that does. I cannot make a sapient robot that has no sapience.

1. "These robotic work units are perfect for menial labor tasks. They are hard-working and capable of following simple vocal instructions, but should not be expected to climb stairs."
Robot tech, simple automated machines capable of following basic commands and protocols coded by humans.
2. "Upgraded robotic workers, these units have an expanded movement range equal to that of most organics. Their neural processors have also been greatly improved."
Droid tech, more mobile automated machines with expanded capabilities for calculation, thus capable of executing more complicated commands, but still automated machines with no sapience or ability to learn autonomously.
3. Positronic AI, "Evolving artificial intellects are opening the door to the possibility for true synthetic sapience."
This technology opens up the pathway for artificial sapience, which leads us to:
4. Synthetics, "Highly advanced robots that are stronger, faster and more durable than the vast majority of organics. With their upgraded neural processors they are fully capable of independent operations."
Synthetic sapience, self-aware, self-reflective and capable of learning independent of any human input. All of the limits you proposed placing upon synthetic AI such as their inability to feel discontent or unhappy by the definition of the game makes them robots, because they do not have the capability to think beyond the parameters set by human programmers. This is not even to get into arguments over whether synthetic intelligence or simulated intelligence denotes sapience, what you were proposing failed to meet the criteria even of synthetic intelligence - it was just automated machines.

tldr; dude pls understand, I cannot put in sapient machines in this game without them having emotions. I am bound by the game's rules

Tag switching to the Prethoryn is possible if it comes to that
This would allow us to continue not leaving earth. At least in our totality.

So I give it my vote!
Duly noted, should our relocation fail

Every Shroud-Marked colony will spawn a shroud manifestation with 26k Fleet Power. Finally, an immensely powerful Shroud entity known as "The Reckoning" - representing the combined essence of all deceased psionic individuals in the former empire that summoned it - will appear over the empire's former homeworld, and proceed to seek out the remaining life in the galaxy. It normally leaves the exiles for last, and therefore an exiled empire should first prioritize surviving against other empires instead.

Yeah, it's impressive, but nowhere near what it could be with a empire that actually colonizes.
I worry that the end crisis would ignore all prethoryn worlds and just hunt all living ones first tbh.

Speaking of, it is one of the great ironies but we're successfully (and slowly) relocating all of Earth's vital populations and ecological DNA onto arks headed for our new colony, Olympia. Slowly, because forced resettlements DO NOT SIT WELL WITH INDIVIDUALIST FACTIONS, WHO PROTEST EVERYDAY

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 04, 2017, 08:41:15 pm »

They want to go down with the ship.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #214 on: December 04, 2017, 09:26:54 pm »

They want to go down with the ship.
I was born on this planet, I'll die on this planet.

Honestly I can respect that, it's just the whole shutting down government whilst we're relocating the species that is the issue :P
Seriously it was shocking, as soon as I started relocating pops our influence gain dropped by 7 because the individualist faction was lukewarm about the idea. Not opposed; lukewarm. Update to follow because internet is slow right now

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 05, 2017, 10:24:43 am »

It's over.

Even if we win, it's over. We've abandoned Earth.

If we beat the Swarm, you're letting Humanity colonize every planet they can. They've earned it.

The Swarm represents everything we eliminated from ourselves - greed, consumption, spread, imperialism. Beat them, and we've redeemed ourselves for destroying Earth throughout our early history.

One Utopia was not enough. One fell too easily. Two was a pathetic start. If - when - this is over, we are building millions.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 05, 2017, 11:42:06 am »

I disagree. I think the swarm represents what we're turning into. A psionic mass, a race linked into one mind, one mind that looks only inward towards itself. As it basks in it's own self glorification and ignores all others and their potential worth.

Heh heh. Think about it. You your self are saying that once we beat back the all devouring swarm that turns all into it's own vision... We should become the all devouring swarm that turns all into it's own vision.

What was will be

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 05, 2017, 11:43:12 am »

What will be, was...
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 05, 2017, 12:24:01 pm »

So TLDR: I confused sapient robots with the arbitrary definition of A.I loud whispers uses, thus most of our arguments were pointless for us both.
They are the definitions in the game m8 >_>
Good Lord fam I can only tell you in so many ways the same thing: You are describing a robot that has no sapience, not a synth that does. I cannot make a sapient robot that has no sapience.

1. "These robotic work units are perfect for menial labor tasks. They are hard-working and capable of following simple vocal instructions, but should not be expected to climb stairs."
Robot tech, simple automated machines capable of following basic commands and protocols coded by humans.
2. "Upgraded robotic workers, these units have an expanded movement range equal to that of most organics. Their neural processors have also been greatly improved."
Droid tech, more mobile automated machines with expanded capabilities for calculation, thus capable of executing more complicated commands, but still automated machines with no sapience or ability to learn autonomously.
3. Positronic AI, "Evolving artificial intellects are opening the door to the possibility for true synthetic sapience."
This technology opens up the pathway for artificial sapience, which leads us to:
4. Synthetics, "Highly advanced robots that are stronger, faster and more durable than the vast majority of organics. With their upgraded neural processors they are fully capable of independent operations."
Synthetic sapience, self-aware, self-reflective and capable of learning independent of any human input. All of the limits you proposed placing upon synthetic AI such as their inability to feel discontent or unhappy by the definition of the game makes them robots, because they do not have the capability to think beyond the parameters set by human programmers. This is not even to get into arguments over whether synthetic intelligence or simulated intelligence denotes sapience, what you were proposing failed to meet the criteria even of synthetic intelligence - it was just automated machines.

tldr; dude pls understand, I cannot put in sapient machines in this game without them having emotions. I am bound by the game's rules

Tag switching to the Prethoryn is possible if it comes to that
This would allow us to continue not leaving earth. At least in our totality.

So I give it my vote!
Duly noted, should our relocation fail

I worry that the end crisis would ignore all prethoryn worlds and just hunt all living ones first tbh.

Speaking of, it is one of the great ironies but we're successfully (and slowly) relocating all of Earth's vital populations and ecological DNA onto arks headed for our new colony, Olympia. Slowly, because forced resettlements DO NOT SIT WELL WITH INDIVIDUALIST FACTIONS, WHO PROTEST EVERYDAY

Soory, somehow I failed to realize how eird the games definitons were :P

Also let the individualists protest, we can leave them to die if dying is their individualist preference, right?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #219 on: December 05, 2017, 04:38:55 pm »

What was will be

Spoiler: 2412 (click to show/hide)
Olympia is set to be the planet of refuge. Far, far away from Earth, it was the only available planet left in the galaxy, unclaimed or uncolonized by any state or prethoryn. It was a size 25 planet, although a glacier world, but humans are adaptable - it'd have to do. Earth sets about relocating as many of its people as it could to Olympia, but relocation was slowed by two factors: The planet itself contained many hostile organisms, glaciers and mountains which needed accommodation before anything from Earth could live there, and the nature of the forced evacuation caused the Liberty faction to withdraw its support and so greatly reduce the political influence available to evacuation planners. Every human moved to Olympia was replaced by a placeholder robot nation pop; while there was no way to build the required amount of robots needed to replace the evacuated humans, it was a good excuse to covertly stop humans on Earth from producing children. The young would be spared the sight of Prethoryn infestation if we could allow it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A place... Decidedly colder than Earth. Work at once involved the construction of new habitats and ecology parks, with Earth selling its research to the other states for energy and minerals, with such funds going to the development of new industry and plans for a science nexus.

Spoiler: 2422 (click to show/hide)
Many raids had been launched against the Prethoryn by the Propitious Pact and the Bright Entente, whose largest members included the Adnori State and Belmacosa Republic respectively. This continual series of raids prevented the Prethoryn from making further advances for many years, as they spent much time hunting down invading squadrons spread over a vast galactic plane. On this year the Belmacosans would engage in the largest fleet battle against the Prethoryn anyone had ever made. They suffered tremendous casualty, but tied down many fleets:
While the Adnori attacked on the Northern front. While we lacked the funds and time needed to replace the 5th fleet, our psionic avatar piloted by Admiral Petrenko, the Chosen One, soaked up a hell of a lot of Prethoryn time and scored many kills against swarmlings and stations. Admiral Petrenko would remain in a solar system for as long as possible, drawing as many Prethoryn fleets as deep into the core of a star's gravity well before emergency jumping out of the system, thus leaving many more weeks between the travel time of the swarms and a habitated allied world. Thus the two federations actually held the ocean at bay.

Spoiler: 2426 (click to show/hide)
We contacted the Electronic Succsphere. We figured it was the end of the world so we might as well.

It lay inside of the Prethoryn Scourge's infested space, but it seemed the Succsphere was the only thing in the recorded galaxy the Scourge did not attack.

The sphere was very polite, and we decided to help it. We sent our most valuable scientist forth to aid their efforts, and despite being deep within prethoryn space, no fleets approached near our scientist when they were by the sphere.

Spoiler: 2428 (click to show/hide)
A Ganvius Regime fleet got locked into combat with the Prethoryn. On this year it would be the single largest concentration of Prethoryn warships ever recorded, with an estimated fleet power of over 1,484,000. The largest allied fleet ever recorded was a Belmacosan one at around 70,000.

2432: Humanity makes their first research innovation in decades, as humanity once more turns to research instead of production.

Spoiler: 2433 (click to show/hide)
The Sol system had dealt with category I Prethoryn invasions and even category II Prethoryn invasions, but in the year of 2433 the Sol system was hit with a Category V Prethoryn Invasion. In two months the Prethoryn annihilated all of our Fortresses, over 500,000 overwhelming all of our guns and fighter craft. It is unknown why the Prethoryn attacked Sol in such great numbers, but this invasion was the largest invasion ever recorded against any planet system. It seemed as if the swarm had learned to prioritize Earth as the primary obstacle to their continued murder of the universe.

The Prethoryn ignored their heavy casualties. They were without number

We left 4 pops behind, unable to evacuate any more. Even our attempt to evacuate the army failed, only the psionic avatar escaped successfully.

The evacuation was a major success however, despite those we left behind. Olympia had been settled and left with a nascent industry with which to continue their megastructure project. There was hope now that we could develop ships powerful enough to contain the Prethoryn expansion.

Even though we have left Earth so hard that Earth doesn't even exist anymore, we spent decades researching until we finally gained the ability to create Gaia Worlds. If ever we reclaim Sol, we can rebuild Earth better.

The last 3 decades have been us non-stop saying goodbye to the pops we once knew, and this one hurt. With the fall of Fortress Sol the Prethoryn swiftly moved on to invade Iblyria, putting an end to our Mandasuran friends. Goodbye my sweet leafs, you didn't deserve this.

Every single Empire is sharing information, research and border access to fight the Prethoryn, with every Empire being a member of the Propitious Pact or the Bright Entente. Admiral Petrenko is still continuing her Avatar raids upon Prethoryn space (and has even destroyed two more worlds!) but with the fall of Fortress Sol, the Prethoryn have also begun expanding their frontiers once more. The fight is not yet lost.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 05, 2017, 06:27:34 pm »

You're still alive- that's good!
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 05, 2017, 06:44:59 pm »

Well, that's over. Good game. We lost. We left Earth.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 05, 2017, 06:48:35 pm »

Earth still lives in our hearts. The United Nations of Olimpia remains strong, and someday soonish we will crush the Prethoryn and retake what's ours, as saviors of the galaxy!
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 05, 2017, 08:07:34 pm »

I'm... pretty sure we won't be saviors. Survivors, maybe.

I can see it now... "Remnant Nations of Earth". No, even better: Renewed United Nations, aka R.U.N.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 05, 2017, 08:10:16 pm »

Well, that's over. Good game. We lost. We left Earth.

You view is appreciate, but perhaps you could think of it in more than one way, perhaps by losing the first challenge(even though we lasted about a century before pseudo- colonizing mars even) we have taken on a new one, Perhaps we shall become Stellaris Liberate The Cosmos? or something? After all we clearly overestimated the value of earth, right?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 30