Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we leave planet Earth

No it is really <comfy> here :^)
Sorry what was the question?
The galaxy is a hoax, nothing exists outside of planet earth.
Why don't scientists do something useful like fix the economy instead?
We don't need to go to vacuum in space, we have vacuums here.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 30

Author Topic: Stellaris: Never leave Earth  (Read 81189 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Never leave Earth
« Reply #225 on: December 05, 2017, 08:33:33 pm »

Stellaris: Crusade for Earth
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 05, 2017, 08:53:06 pm »

What's a good story without loss? our protagonists have seen their friends and allies murdered, their homes destroyed and the galaxy eaten, but surely they can learn from their mistakes, persevere, and win the girl planet, right?... right?................ guys?   :'(

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 05, 2017, 09:22:09 pm »

What's a good story without loss? our protagonists have seen their friends and allies murdered, their homes destroyed and the galaxy eaten, but surely they can learn from their mistakes, persevere, and win the girl planet, right?... right?................ guys?   :'(

Our galaxy is Lovecraft Lite Lite... Lite! Only Lite-ier.

In laymans words: it could be worse. I tried this challenge once (inspired by this thread) and found my self surrounded by the following:

-Fanatic Purifier
-Slaving Despot
-Devouring Swarm
-Evangelizing Zealots (Violent type of Spiritualist,and I was Materialist)

I... didn't last long. I'm glad I'm the type of person to find that sort of thing hilarious rather than frustrating.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 05, 2017, 09:26:19 pm »

This is going to end badly, unless another, friendlier alien nation shows up nearby that Earth can become a protectorate of.

This is finally relevant.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #229 on: December 05, 2017, 09:59:44 pm »

Spoiler: 2437 (click to show/hide)
On the year of 2437, one of the last human communities in the Western Hemisphere died. In the East, the UN of Olympia would discover precognitive interfaces for their peacekeeping ships, and a UN survey of the galaxy would reveal that there are no more homo sapiens left in the cosmos - all have either evolved into new forms of human, or perished. The Serene Havarigga Assembly is given a research deal in exchange for minerals and energy, the deal signed by two human presidents - the Havariggans having elected a human to lead them. This occurs as part of a wider initiative, where the UN of Earth does its best to give all of its technology to galactic states in exchange for minerals and energy, resulting in stronger allies and the UN receiving much needed supplies.

Spoiler: 2439 (click to show/hide)
The Electronic Succ has given us some parts of a universal equation which has great applications in research!

2441: Mira Petrenko attempts to make contact with a sleeping, ancient and powerful psionic entity. She succeeds, but the entity is angered and grabs General Penelope Lankshear into the shroud, never to be seen again. President Abdullah Sassani is re-elected. UN and Adnori forces conduct joint military raids against Adnori space.

Spoiler: 2442: (click to show/hide)
The Belmacosans send forth a fleet of strength 150k, the largest allied fleet we have ever seen. All of the galaxy is united under 3 federations, with all 3 federations supporting one another to attack the Prethoryn. This unity, technological advancement of Empires and the stalling of the Prethoryn lends hope that this war can be won.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Olympia is not idle amidst all this, amassing her own sizeable navy. The Presidency of the Bright Entente switches around, which means that when the UN is President, we get to build federation ships which cost no maintenance. Thus we amassed our destroyer fleet and sent them to prethoryn space.
We hoped these designs which had served us so well before would serve us well now, but it became clear that these designs were effective skirmishers, not the decisive peacekeepers we sought. Even our Agincourt Battleships were insufficient.

Our destroyers could shoot down hundreds of strike craft but failed to take down enough prethoryn warships, our battleships could take down prethoryn warships but not defend themselves from strike craft, and we could not field enough to complement one another. Thus we reduced our shipbuilding projects to focus on the science nexus project and realized we should not bother building more ships until we widen our technological arsenal.

Spoiler: 2445 (click to show/hide)
We spotted the first Belmacosan battleships fielding tachyon lances and realized they were pursuing the right track on research. Tachyon lances pierced 90% of armour, the prethoryns relied heavily on their armour - this was the way forward!
Unfortunately we did not take this lesson to heart until our next effort to defeat the prethoryn with carrier-artillery cruisers yielded mediocre success. Even with batteries of AA-guns and fighter craft, our Lake Peipsis cruisers could not shoot down enough strike craft to stop themselves from being overwhelmed.

Spoiler: 2447 (click to show/hide)
While we shelved ship construction plans, our Avatar under Admiral Miro Petrenko continued raiding and sniping Prethoryn ships, often showing up to aid the efforts of other larger states. Here, conducting a joint military raid with the Belmacosans, having eliminated the once-aptly-named planet 'Beauty' before fleeing Prethoryn retaliation,
Spoiler: 2448 (click to show/hide)
And here with the Adnori, eliminating a lone Prethoryn fleet that was encroaching upon habitated space.

2449: Mankind on Olympia begins a research project to remove humanity's innate wastefulness. This was perhaps a project 2 1/2 centuries late.

Spoiler: 2451 (click to show/hide)
Mira Petrenko gets elected President of Olympia. Mira Petrenko as President of Earth, Chief Admiral of the Peacekeeping Fleet, Chosen One of the Telepathic Council and most powerful psionic (and only immortal) in the galaxy makes her the most powerful human leader in human history.

Spoiler: 2453 (click to show/hide)
Humanity discovers remains of an ancient civilization that held sway over the galaxy a million years ago. It seems our galaxy has not been a stranger to mass extinction.

You're still alive- that's good!
Blueturtle's suggestion that we send an exodus colony ship out to stave off extinction really was a fantastic idea. Olympia was the last unclaimed planet and we wouldn't have made it this far if we didn't send off for it. It also fills me with hope: Earth didn't die in vain, we bought the galaxy good time to let the Belmacosan and Adnoran war machines awaken, with the southern states seriously catching up. We've lost some more worlds, but we've also made real progress clearing some infested worlds, launching relentless wave after wave of men into the prethoryn space to keep their ships at bay. We can't win a war of attrition against the prethoryn, but we can keep their attention so focused on defending that they aren't eating more worlds. And as the decades go by, we're still teching up. There could very well come a point where a UN peacekeeping vessel is as strong as a Prethoryn one.

Well, that's over. Good game. We lost. We left Earth.
We lost, and we are lost, but we still persevere :]

You view is appreciate, but perhaps you could think of it in more than one way, perhaps by losing the first challenge(even though we lasted about a century before pseudo- colonizing mars even) we have taken on a new one, Perhaps we shall become Stellaris Liberate The Cosmos? or something? After all we clearly overestimated the value of earth, right?
I still miss Earth, but it seems as the decades roll by and we still can't reclaim it, Olympia is shaping up more and more to be our new permanent home. With the science nexus under construction within it, even moreso. That thing is expensive

I'm... pretty sure we won't be saviors. Survivors, maybe.
I can see it now... "Remnant Nations of Earth". No, even better: Renewed United Nations, aka R.U.N.
At this point I feel we're the United Nation

Stellaris: Never leave, Earth. You will always be missed ;-;

I don't know. I don't think the people of Earth know. I still like the idea that we're fighting our future evolution that's invading backwards in time.

But what I can tell you about our current state is this. We have witnessed many extinctions happen rapidly, with the Prethoryn swamping across anywhere between a fifth and two fifths of the galaxy in what was basically 2 decades, but then they slowed down. From what I can tell it may have been the fault of ourselves and the Mandasurans that the Prethoryn had this initial expansion phase go so quickly. Our area of the galaxy apparently had many uninhabited worlds, but because we did not let anyone else colonize them, they were ripe for infestation by the Prethoryn. With the Mandasurans and Adnori weakened by their wars, the Prethoryn did not have military resistance from the uninhabited worlds or the habitated worlds. After that we spent more than a decade launching raids from Sol, our Fortresses holding until the category V Prethoryn invasion. Even after we relocated to Olympia we did not stop raiding the Prethoryn, and with our avatar we have spent every year raiding the Prethoryn space.
It is now 50 years on from when the Prethoryn first invaded.
We have lost a lot of friends. But for the first time in the galaxy, everyone is united singularly against the Prethoryn. Technology is rapidly advancing, industry progressing and fleets of sizes never once seen before are being amassed. There has been half a century of unified resistance against the prethoryn by and large because of our early efforts, when hope seemed bleakest. While I don't think we can take full credit, I think Earth can certainly take the lion's share of early resistance, as there was no one else capable of holding back the Prethoryn. I don't think we can win this, but together - with the full weight of the galaxy standing by us, I think we all can win. Let us not forget that where we lost our home, some amongst us were wiped out entirely. This is a deadly equilibrium but I hope the fact that our states can continue technologically advancing will tip the scales in our favour.

Personally I think everyone on Earth is determined, and simply not thinking too much about how many we have lost. The war has gone on for half a century now, so many have perished in the worst ways, and so many more will continue to do so. Humanity can mourn for the fallen if it survives, otherwise the survivors will be joining them soon enough. The other thing to consider is that I also as of yet do not know the full extent of the damage that has occurred to our galaxy. Hope remains that if we defend the stars with renewed fervour we can find descendants of species thought extinct and bring them back from the brink of destruction. We can't undo the scourge, but we can rebuild. It's not a heroic message, but I think it's why the humans on Olympia still go on.

For humankind, survival on Olympia isn't this epic last stand or resignation to the inevitable grasp of death, as it was on Earth and Mars. I can only imagine what those trapped in Sol, who either chose not to move to Olympia or could not move to Olympia felt. Survival on Olympia's not even really that much of a choice, so much as a continuation of business as usual. Yes, everything is freezing cold, but humans awake, converse in their minds and set forth trying to discover, communicate and socialize with one another, even if this is the end of our galaxy, then rest their heads to sleep and renew the daily ritual. They're doing the best they can with what they've got, and even if it all amounts to nothing, they tried every day to make it better. The first U.N. century was all about how we embark upon the road to Utopia. The second U.N. century was about what we do when we've reached Utopia. This century I think is just a question of why do we still go on. We've lost a lot, but we still haven't lost everything and everyone. We've still got reasons to keep going forwards

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 05, 2017, 10:22:47 pm »

So the question is: is this the decline of humanity, or the rebirth?
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 05, 2017, 10:46:45 pm »

Change the thread title immediately.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 05, 2017, 11:37:14 pm »

1: How do you attain Utopia?
2: What do you do with Utopia?
3: How far will you go to get Utopia back?
4: What was will be, hak hak hak.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 05, 2017, 11:44:48 pm »

Final step for saving utopia from this horror: Launch a colonization ship with our strongest psychics and our brightest biologists outside the galaxy, the biologists will probably need to start radically changing humanity to be able to survive the vast void between galaxies. But this might be our only chance to stop ourselves from being relentlessly hunted down.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 06, 2017, 02:27:47 am »

what was, will be. what will be, was.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 06, 2017, 02:28:31 pm »

No. We're not turning into the Prethoryn. We're not running.  Olympia is as far as we retreat. We're fighting the shadows of our past and the demons of our future but we're going to beat them, we're facing them down.

If the Galaxy falls, we fall with it.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 06, 2017, 02:47:23 pm »

What Will Be Was, but all Cycles have an End.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Stellaris: Never leave, Earth
« Reply #237 on: December 06, 2017, 07:21:57 pm »

2462: President Abdullah Sassani is elected President of Olympia, Miro Petrenko resumes command of the Avatar.

Spoiler: 2462 (click to show/hide)
YEAH BOI
So one thing is I modded Queens to not be capped at a paltry 20 ships, which meant that befriending the Queen was actually useful.

We had a science vessel camped inside of Gargantua, chilling next to the electronic succsphere. We were a half-jump warp away from the injured queen when our deep space spy probes discovered this, there was no chance for anyone else to befriend the injured queen.

Spoiler: LONG LIVE THE QUEEN (click to show/hide)
Needless to say this is a prosperous occasion. We also now have two immortal female Admirals, which I'm sure is a new landmark for our galaxy.

Spoiler: 2467 (click to show/hide)
We completed the ultimate science lab. We're considering constructing a dyson sphere over a star. What do you guys think? Is it morally acceptable to harness a star so efficiently if it is in an uninhabited solar system of barren rocks, and it ultimately reduces the environmental burden of neighbouring star systems? Or is it morally unacceptable, imprisoning a star within a metal cage?
The pros would mean that for as long as the trading enclaves remain alive we could potentially super-crank our production lines into overdrive, but the cons mean permanently locking up a star inside a giant solar engine. Even if we're releasing ourselves from a lot of our previous restrictions that seems... Questionable.

No. We're not turning into the Prethoryn. We're not running.  Olympia is as far as we retreat. We're fighting the shadows of our past and the demons of our future but we're going to beat them, we're facing them down.
If the Galaxy falls, we fall with it.
I'm not sure, but with a bit of modding we could probably do something like that. Have a colony pop ship arrive and have an exit point somewhere in the galaxy to simulate an extra-galactic refugee ship, just like the galactic nomads do. While they go off to into the true void, we stay and see what we can make of the galaxy left behind. If I can't mod in the physical representation like that we could just mod in a tech with ludicrous cost that symbolizes sending a refugee pop off into the void.

So the question is: is this the decline of humanity, or the rebirth?
This is the metamorphosis

Change the thread title immediately.
Crusading for Earth isn't possible yet
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 07:24:07 pm by Loud Whispers »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 06, 2017, 07:38:38 pm »

[Matierialist] Stars are not living or thinking things, it is acceptable to harness it for power.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 06, 2017, 07:44:49 pm »

I don't think it is okay. But I don't think mars was okay either. This is the same thing, we're irrevocably altering large swaths of space, the planets, the sun itself, in time even the surrounding stars.

That said, we've already thrown away so much of ourselves. All our values and ethics have died in the name of survival. So what's one more stab into the corpse?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 30