Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we leave planet Earth

No it is really <comfy> here :^)
Sorry what was the question?
The galaxy is a hoax, nothing exists outside of planet earth.
Why don't scientists do something useful like fix the economy instead?
We don't need to go to vacuum in space, we have vacuums here.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 30

Author Topic: Stellaris: Never leave Earth  (Read 81076 times)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Never leave Earth
« Reply #255 on: December 08, 2017, 01:21:10 pm »

Holy shit.

This is intense.

Proposal:  If possible, get a planet to house other intelligent species, ideally getting at least 1 of each surviving species.  A refugee planet, in other words.  Set up defenses there as well, if you can.  Even if survival is possible, it would be a bitter end if humans were the only intelligent life left.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #256 on: December 08, 2017, 03:44:35 pm »

2535: Over a century and a half ago Earthling scientists devised plans to create a gaia world: A perfect biosphere of absolute harmony, capable of sustaining all known life without forcing them into competitions for survival. Today, Olympian Terrafrienders are capable of realizing this dream into reality.

Holy shit.

This is intense.

Proposal:  If possible, get a planet to house other intelligent species, ideally getting at least 1 of each surviving species.  A refugee planet, in other words.  Set up defenses there as well, if you can.  Even if survival is possible, it would be a bitter end if humans were the only intelligent life left.
No such planets available. But I have finished the last tradition tree and unlocked habitats, and so have been able to do so, constructing orbital habitats.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We've got at least 1 of all the main species or their subspecies descendants, including one of the descendant populations of homo sapiens. They're all sharing the same solar system as Olympia, so they'll be safe, or we'll all be dead. To my absolute surprise there were Mandasuran descendants living on a Pallyrian world in the far east, thus while the main species is extinct, their continuity remains - the Mandasurans live. The Estwani and Adnori pop was rescued before its whole planet was consumed by the scourge.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 06:27:52 pm by Loud Whispers »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 08, 2017, 03:52:21 pm »

Man, how'd you get them all together so nicely without them breeding themselves out of space? Did you put population controls on them? I imagine the egalitarians would be sad about that as well.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #258 on: December 08, 2017, 04:56:49 pm »

Man, how'd you get them all together so nicely without them breeding themselves out of space? Did you put population controls on them? I imagine the egalitarians would be sad about that as well.
Kept Theia & Wenzhou as immigrant magnets, swapping migrant pops I had double for, for the singles on Theia & Wenzhou (so they're full of Xeltek and Belmacosans). Selected the rarer immigrants and sent them to Avalon and New Roanoke (Avalan and Roanoke are closer to Olympia). For the ones like the Mandasuran I just cheated and copy-pop'd as otherwise it's impossible to get minority pops to migrate to your habitats, and I didn't want them to be left outside Noah's Ark. There's a clever trick you can do if you're drowning in influence and can't or would prefer not to use population controls, and that's with resettling. New pops won't grow if there is no pop already there, and if there are no full pops there the growing pop disappears (cos you can't grow something ex nihilo). This is unlike the earliest versions of the game where you could see some cool stuff like pre-FTL civs emerge from nuclear devastation very slowly.
This mechanic can be exploited to control population growth when you want to have a neat multispecies world, in that you can just resettle a pop out, wait one month and resettle the pop back in, resetting the pop growth until you fully stack the world with pops.

Spent a juicy stockpile of minerals building 49 Cheapside battleships, each costing just over 700 minerals each. The Cheapside battleship has no weapons or shields, but its real value is that it exists cheaply. With 25,000 more minerals and a bit of time, the Olympian shipyard retrofitted the Cheapside battleships into the Agincourt class battleship.

A glorious, angry ship, brimming with tachyon lances, plasma cannons and kinetic artillery. It is pure, offensive power. It's also expensive and we can't afford to maintain them on operations 24/7 yet, at least not with this many, but it marks a milestone in UN history in being the most powerful peacekeeping fleet every assembled by us. It lacks in any AA capabilities however, so if the Agincourt Armada cannot overcome the enemy's carriers, it'll just retreat and strike elsewhere.
Pictured here: Trying to cleanse Earth on its maiden mission. Got very close too, just a week away from succeeding when it got intercepted.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 08, 2017, 06:27:31 pm »

You're amazing, whats our plan for the reconquest of earth though?

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 08, 2017, 11:47:08 pm »

Hahahaaha. Um, I could be wrong, but I don't think retaking Earth will be in the cards for a very long time, if at all.

Although... I have to admit, Loud Whispers has surprised me with how magnificently well he's doing. I'd have died off a long while ago. So take what I'm saying with a heavy dose of skepticism
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #261 on: December 09, 2017, 10:42:43 am »

Hahahaaha. Um, I could be wrong, but I don't think retaking Earth will be in the cards for a very long time, if at all.

Although... I have to admit, Loud Whispers has surprised me with how magnificently well he's doing. I'd have died off a long while ago. So take what I'm saying with a heavy dose of skepticism
Nah you're right, Earth is a distant dream, not an objective right now.
The plan is largely to sit tight on Olympia and like our namesake, keep researching energy and kinetic weapon damage, to the point where we're firing Zeus's thunderbolts from our peacekeeping armada. When we're at the point where a tachyon lance or psionic blast's minimum damage is equal to the health of a swarmling or even a warrior, we'll be bloody well close to the point where we can attack the scourge directly.

Spoiler: 2563 (click to show/hide)
Our second try was more successful. We sent 11 Corvettes of the Special Void Squadron to go distract the Prethoryn before launching a raid upon Earth, this buying us enough time to cleanse it before retreating. The Peacekeeping Navy managed to retreat and regroup with the SVS for a second raid, which yielded no strategic success.
Spoiler: 2566 (click to show/hide)
Our third raid went horrendously poorly when our psionic avatar was wiped out, severely debilitating our ability to raid, as our avatar was the only psi-jump drive equipped unit. Fortunately Admiral Mira Petrenko was based on Earth this time, so we did not also lose our chosen one, but this was a major setback.

Spoiler: 2576 (click to show/hide)
Olympia is our heaven amongst the stars: A verdant Gaia world of lush beauty, rich in nitrogen and oxygen, composed of an incredibly resilient ecosystem at once at peace with all of its inhabitants, possessing the optimal conditions for all known higher forms of life. Even the non-adaptive Belmacosans could thrive here, and at size 25 this easily makes Olympia the most valuable planet in the galaxy. Needless to say the happiness of all on Olympia is unlimited.

Spoiler: 2577 (click to show/hide)
10 years after the failed raid which cost us our avatar, the Special Void Squadron returned to their nefarious prethoryn raiding to make way for the Peacekeeping Fleet's return to action.
48 Agincourt battleships, 29 Carrier-cruisers for close void support, the Olympian Admiralty was beginning to pool the expertise and resources needed to field a mixed fighting force to maximize prethoryn squashing capabilities.

Spoiler: 2578 (click to show/hide)
One thing we learned at once was that the cruisers would perish very quickly, as it seems the scourge would focus fire upon them first. Despite heavy AA batteries and fighter squadrons, they could not eliminate enough missiles and strike craft to remain alive, thus the cruisers were not as successful as had been hoped. The Agincourt Battleships however served effectively, their long-range batteries and lances eliminating whole swathes of the scourge with every salvo. Thus the battleships retreated with no cruisers surviving, ready to launch a second raid the following year with massed Agincourt Battleships.

Spoiler: 2579 (click to show/hide)
It was a fight to the death. For starters the Peacekeeping Fleet had been bolstered beyond its supply limits, thus retreat would have been most uneconomical. For seconds, it was tiring always retreating. Centuries of retreating! We now had the materiel capability to sustain our losses, thus we would choose to fight: Save the border worlds some time, collect some valuable data to improve our fleet.

65 battleships lost. 54 swarmlings, 2 queens, 23 warriors & 45 brood mothers eliminated. This was no victory by any stretch of the imagination, the prethoryn could easily replace those losses. But it was a very useful defeat, as it helped the Olympians by proving disproportionate casualties could be inflicted upon the prethoryn despite being outnumbered 1000 to 1.
Admiral Ilya Komarov and his battleship would be amongst the only crew surviving that battle, with his ship the UNS Endeavour V limping into the dockyards above Olympia barely void-worthy. 99.99% of the ship's vital systems and hull was damaged by the prethoryn and the emergency jump, and it is likely that if Ilya Komarov was not a skilled engineer, everyone on board would have perished.

2581: Psionic jump drive technology is stolen from the minds of some extra-galactic xenos while entering the shroud.
2585: Proposals to field fleets of destroyers were aborted after it became apparent there was no number of destroyers in the world capable of shooting down the mass of strike craft the prethoryn could deploy. Admiral Haruna Haguchi would lead a fleet of over 200 destroyers and her flagship - the same UNS Endeavour V into battle, and only her flagship would return.
She suffered depression upon returning as the only survivor, and was honourably discharged from service to rest and recuperate. The UNS Endeavour V would be repaired and put back into service. The UNS Endeavour V would be led into battle by Admiral Ilya Komarov once more for the last time, with the Admiral going down with the ship in the second battle for Saidainope.
The Adnori State would be extinguished.
Spoiler: 2598 (click to show/hide)
The UN of Olympia rebuilds its fleet after the loss at Saidainope, this time seeking to apply all of the lessons learnt into the first mixed combined arms fleet. 52 battleships with tachyon lances, plasma cannons and kinetic artillery, 27 cruisers with strike craft and AA batteries, 50 destroyers with artillery and plasma cannons.

Spoiler: 2599 (click to show/hide)
Admiral Bao Miroslav set forth to eliminate all of the fleets attacking the Belmacosan state, swiftly eradicating the broods with a speed & efficiency not seen in 200 years.
However, as soon as one system was cleared and the Peacekeeping Fleet set off for another, a new prethoryn brood would invade.

The only consolation was that it validated the cleansing power of the Agincourt Battleship.

Spoiler: 2605 (click to show/hide)
The Sentinel Order is extinguished. Their last message to us was as always, to not give up, to have hope, to know the Prethoryn can be defeated.

The galaxy as it was in 2605.

Spoiler: 2620 (click to show/hide)
For the first time in a 187 years UN controlled territory comes under attack by Prethoryn forces. The scourge had at last found our refuge in the stars.
The star system in question was the Sallax system, crewed by a ring of early-warning Fortresses surrounded in minefields - nothing fancy or intended to stop the swarm, just significant enough to give us the warning we needed. The Sallax system is uninhabited, but borders Olympia and our Star Prism in Tram Bodon. Of note is that more Fortresses and habitats have been constructed in Tram Bodon, ensuring we have more room for the last call of refugees (we've thus far only had Belmacosans arrive, it seems too late for everyone else), and ensuring we won't be cut off from the Star Prism and have all of our Fortresses run out of power mid-Prethoryn invasion.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 09, 2017, 11:35:38 am »

Well, good game everyone.

A win condition is to have 40% of habitable planets, right? What if we let them eat everything except Olympia?
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 09, 2017, 04:30:34 pm »

Proposal:  Renaming of the UN to the UL, United Lifeforms.  Goals should be made to eventually create a utopia planet for each species, with each eventually becoming independent.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #264 on: December 09, 2017, 04:34:29 pm »

Well, good game everyone.

A win condition is to have 40% of habitable planets, right? What if we let them eat everything except Olympia?
We have already fulfilled many win conditions, but all win conditions do not fire if there is a crisis like the prethoryn invasion going on.

Proposal:  Renaming of the UN to the UL, United Lifeforms.  Goals should be made to eventually create a utopia planet for each species, with each eventually becoming independent.
Right now we're the United Nations of Olympia; as for proposals on stuff, I think save them for later - the Prethoryn are still in the way. That said, it is currently planned to reintroduce species to their homelands

Spoiler: crisis stats 2605 (click to show/hide)
Just under 30,000 vessels lost to the scourge. That's what it took to slow it down.

Spoiler: 2627 (click to show/hide)
The planet of Mosshame, home to one of the oldest human communities outside of Earth. The entire planet was settled by homo sapiens under the Belmacosan Divine Concordat, the first human colony made by the Belmacosans. By the time Olympian ships arrived to relieve the planet half of its population had been eradicated by orbital bombardment and the only intact building was a lone, massive holotemple.

We lost 10 battleships eliminating 3 whole broods, which was absolutely fantastic. It bought more years of time for Mosshame, though long-term chances remained slim. One of the notable occurrences was Admiral Mathias Dreyer being promoted from Captain to Admiral owing to outstanding action in that battle - significantly, Mathias Dreyer is one of the descendants of the humans on Mosshame, who are in turn closely related to homo sapiens.

Spoiler: 2631 (click to show/hide)
The battle for Mosshame revealed that Olympian technology had reached the critical point, the point where its fleet could compete with the scourge. Thus after years of preparation, an exceptionally large Olympian peacekeeping fleet was assembled, and sent forth to cleanse Lavelkor.
Lavelkor's defences were taken apart by the Peacekeeping fleet, the fleet staying in orbit, awaiting the scourge's defence response. There would be no retreat - this was going to be a fight. 300,000 fleet power of prethoryn attacked, and 300,000 prethoryn were thrown back.

Suffering immense casualties and weary from such a prolonged battle, 300,000 more prethoryn joined the fight.

At the end of the battle 13 Agincourt ships and the avatar would remain. With what resources we had we built 14 battleships and sent them to reinforce the fleet, so momentous a victory had never been won before, but a taste of such valiant success warranted more. The elimination of Lavelkor would turn this into a true strategic success!

200,000 Prethoryn would attempt to intercept the Peacekeepers before the cleansing of Lavelkor was completed, an unknown Belmacosan fleet engaged in battle with them, buying our ships enough time to burn Lavelkor to cinders. Our ships joined the Belmacosans to try and save them, but in the end the Belmacosan fleet was entirely annihilated, their unknown admiral dying with them.

The avatar and 10 battleships would make it home alive, battered, and heroic.
Attempts to replicate this were...

At times...

...Met with varied success.

Yet the prethoryn could not crack our defence networks, thus we could afford "setbacks."

Spoiler: 2645 (click to show/hide)
On this year the Olympians deployed 100 battleships using the cheapside-Agincourt assembly line, the most powerful allied fleet ever created.

Its first target was Naff'Digo and Naff'Flevith; unexpectedly the fleet cleansed both planets before the main prethoryn swarm arrived, with a single planet cleansed in 100 days. Either the scourge had its fleet elsewhere, or as I had hoped, our continuous raids had managed to effect enough casualties that there was a timeframe we could exploit in between the next reinforcement to cleanse as many worlds as possible.

Spoiler: 2648 (click to show/hide)
400,000 fleet strength of prethoryn fight 483k of Agincourt battleships and an avatar. The UN fleet lost 22 battleships, wiping out the entire enemy. This bought a year to go cleanse infested worlds before the next 400k fleet attacked, but even when it was 78 battleships up against 400k strength prethoryn, the UN Olympian taskforce was emerging victorious with acceptable casualties.

Spoiler: 2651 (click to show/hide)
101 Agincourt Battleships wiped out the year's swarm at the cost of around 20 battleships, which was easily an acceptable trade off. The fleet split into two, something previously considered unimaginable, but the power discrepancy between UN and Prethoryn had at last been crossed.

It was time to cleanse at double speed. We became as the Earthling farmer, who would time their actions by the seasons.
There would be the season for planting, and a season for sowing.

The Prethoryn were predictable in their reinforcement cycle, thus every new year our fleets would await in an infested solar system, our fleets arrayed in a conxex at the prethoryn entry point in the gravitational well. Then we'd ambush the fleets in interlocking energy, psionic and kinetic fire, before going back to work.

And it only took 250 years of fighting to get to this point.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 07:47:32 pm by Loud Whispers »

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 09, 2017, 05:51:46 pm »

When we get back to Earth, because we will get back to Earth, are we going to forget our past and turn it into a Gaia world, or will we terraform it back to a continental world?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 09, 2017, 05:54:39 pm »

Would it still have 100% habitability as a continental world?

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 09, 2017, 06:03:43 pm »

Wow... talk about a truly epic comeback. You've just become my new benchmark for legendary Stellaris gameplay.

When we get back to Earth, because we will get back to Earth, are we going to forget our past and turn it into a Gaia world, or will we terraform it back to a continental world?

Are we restoring Earth, or recarnating as New Earth?

Would it still have 100% habitability as a continental world?

No, but from a story perspective this games Humanity has been focused on preserving Earth and trying to not 'corrupt' or 'mishandle' other planets- they have rights you know!
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 09, 2017, 06:22:14 pm »

I thought we were actually doomed when they were overrunning our defensive lines, but then this happens.

We can actually challenge them in direct combat? No more bombing worlds and running, no more being blown to smithereens by their fleets? Also, the avatar resurrected?

In another way this was utterly predictable. They can't develop. They have one pattern for their Swarm fleets. They can't change. They can't adapt. We can. We can advance, with our new technologies and Science Nexus. Every moment they are stalemated is a nail in the coffin for them.

Just remember that whether this is our last stand or our great victory, this will be our finest hour. The time we stared down the monsters of the void and the demons of our future, without fear, without trepidation, without division. The day we looked the evils of our past in the eye and said, "To hell with you!"

I think that sums it up rather nicely.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 09, 2017, 06:41:22 pm »

A rejected idea to raise moral. It was only sent in because the creator didn't realize the risks of using a Voice-to-Text Dictation Program:

GENERATION 32:
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 30