Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we leave planet Earth

No it is really <comfy> here :^)
Sorry what was the question?
The galaxy is a hoax, nothing exists outside of planet earth.
Why don't scientists do something useful like fix the economy instead?
We don't need to go to vacuum in space, we have vacuums here.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 30

Author Topic: Stellaris: Never leave Earth  (Read 81319 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Never leave Earth
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2017, 11:54:26 am »

Lies. UN propaganda.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2017, 12:09:05 pm »

Amazing. Did you cheat this out with some editor or something, or did peace really just win over a Fanatic Purifier?
No cheats or editors, I was getting pretty hyped trying to figure out how to win without spaceports against the Adnori and I found this welcome, if anti-climatic. So there I was just building laboratories and trying to figure out if I could build enough droid defence units to hold out against an armageddon bombardment while rushing to psionics when I got the surprise message. First time I've ever seen this happen to a fanatical purifier civ, though not unlikely - the way the game's factions are weighted, it's a lot easier for pops to move towards pacifism, egalitarianism & xenophilia than to militarism, authoritarianism and xenophobia. The spiritualism-materialism split is based more on the traits of a species pop than any external factors.

For starters if an Empire is not at constant war then the pacifist faction will spring up in any sizeable Empire, and obviously a state of constant war is incredibly hard to maintain thus it will become almost inevitable that a militiaristic empire has to deal with the pacifist faction. Once the pacifist faction appears, it will spread to every planet and thus become impossible to eliminate (even on planets where it should have 0 members, it will always draw at least 1). By contrast a pacifist Empire can go through the entire game without ever having a militaristic faction pop. Xenophobia as well is almost impossible to naturally have appear in a non xenophobic empire, the only time I've seen it happen in one of my Empires was when one of my planets got conquered by slavers - so without being enslaved or continually fighting defensive wars, it's pretty hard to get xenophobics to pop. By contrast xenophilia pops can be accidentally popped by any sort of cordial relations with neighbouring Empires or alien pops, which basically means that a space Empire has to maintain isolation or exterminate/enslave every alien species that gets too close. If however a native pop ends up on a planet with free alien pops or with pops being exterminated, there's a high likelihood of that pop adopting xenophilia - forming a xenophilia faction which will subsequently spread to every planet, with the same results as before. Thus in theory the longer time goes on, the more fanatic purifiers are allowed to expand, the more likely it is for them to slowly drift towards an Empire that isn't omnicidal; they may remain keen on galactic hegemony or isolation, but will grow demoralized and cease a cosmic campaign.

The Royal Adnori Domains have adopted pacifism, which nullified the fanatical purifier government civic - which will have also eliminated the supremacist faction, replacing it with the isolationist one. While the fanatic xenophobe is still strong in the Royal Adnori Domains, with fingers crossed I hope they will conquer this mystery alien civilization. The intermingling of alien pops will cause their xenophilia pops to become emboldened, and potentially begin drifting the Royal Adnori Domains towards a Monarchy concerned with the welfare of all of its citizens. All it takes is 1 xenophilic pop to spawn a faction, and once it's an active faction it will begin recruiting on every single Adnori world.

CITIZENS OF THE GALAXY UNITE

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2017, 12:14:21 pm »

Perhaps we should look towards establishing a union or federation of sorts. Maybe we could call it "United Nations". I'm sure the mememancers will support a name like that.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2017, 12:20:16 pm »

We surely are innovating on the interstellar stage with our enlightened policy of nonviolent nonresistance. Long live the U.N.!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2017, 12:22:07 pm »

Leave it to Stellaris to make "sit on your hands and wait for the aliens to not murder you" a viable tactic.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2017, 02:05:54 pm »

Incredible. Everything we have ever done or believed in is vindicated by other people changing their minds about something.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2017, 04:25:51 pm »

Just as hoped, our collective will to benevolence and harmony has translated itself across the canopy of space to our sibling-beings of Adnori.
One wheel short of a wagon

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2017, 04:26:56 pm »

Guess we're obliged to go psy now and make everyone love us from the comfort of home?

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2017, 05:15:27 am »

In celebration of this step towards enlightenment by a nonearth species (alien recently having been declared to be a word containing undue hostile implications), Senator Chi Chi Me proposes the creation of a small probe to land carefully on the moon and deliver a series of apology letters in a variety of languages and formats for the undue harm and stress caused to it by the Apollo Program and the impactors of Old NASA  so many decades ago.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2017, 02:07:05 am »

This thread is beautiful. Part of me hopes you last until an Crisis appears, just to see if you somehow survive.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2017, 04:01:28 pm »

Perhaps we should look towards establishing a union or federation of sorts. Maybe we could call it "United Nations". I'm sure the mememancers will support a name like that.
United Cosmospolis?

We surely are innovating on the interstellar stage with our enlightened policy of nonviolent nonresistance. Long live the U.N.!
Our active passivity will guide the galaxy to a brighter tomorrow

Leave it to Stellaris to make "sit on your hands and wait for the aliens to not murder you" a viable tactic.
They might still conquer us, thus Earth military continues building up. Fortunately now we are less likely to die as a species, thus if we are conquered, it will be all according to keikaku and humans will spread their human ways amongst the Adnori.

Incredible. Everything we have ever done or believed in is vindicated by other people changing their minds about something.
I still can't believe how we're actually improving the galaxy. I'm tempted in future to mod in something along the lines of an Irenic Monarchy, only instead have an Ironic Democracy

Guess we're obliged to go psy now and make everyone love us from the comfort of home?
Just as hoped, our collective will to benevolence and harmony has translated itself across the canopy of space to our sibling-beings of Adnori.
As the collective consciousness of humanity expands beyond a crucial point, we are more willing to translate the vectors of the universal matrix which binds all energy - and thus, all beings, together. Just as each mind consists of many neurons working in harmony to form a collective consciousness of self, every self in the galaxy communicates information and forms a cosmic whole - to attack our neighbours to make them see as we do, would be as if a person's brain attacked itself, only causing harm to us all. As our harmony expands to the galaxy, so too does the greater wisdom of our cosmic self become all the more apparent. Do not say we live in the Milky Way!
We live in the only Way!

In celebration of this step towards enlightenment by a nonearth species (alien recently having been declared to be a word containing undue hostile implications), Senator Chi Chi Me proposes the creation of a small probe to land carefully on the moon and deliver a series of apology letters in a variety of languages and formats for the undue harm and stress caused to it by the Apollo Program and the impactors of Old NASA  so many decades ago.
Might it be more appropriate to communicate using holograms projected through the Planetary Defence Shield? I feel launching even the smallest of probes upon the moon could be a further affront, just as one would be aghast at sending glowmites upon one's precious bodily pores. This would make anyone self-conscious enough to purchase cleansing lotions

This thread is beautiful. Part of me hopes you last until an Crisis appears, just to see if you somehow survive.
I have deep concern for this, a theoretical xenos with which no negotiation is possible.

2294:01:12: The Xeno Freedom Observatory has been founded by Professor Alison Webb upon the United Nations of Planet Earth. The Xeno Freedom Observatory promises to safeguard, promote and observe the freedom of all Xenos throughout the galaxy; its first issue being to lobby for the United Nations big book of words to change 'Xeno' to mean 'Similar to us' rather than 'Other than us'.

Spoiler: 2295:03:05 (click to show/hide)
We established contact with the distant and most noble artists of the Artisan Troupe enclave station at the far galactic reaches of somewhere else! Also the Royal Adnori Domain declared a rivalry with us, but most importantly of all we proudly and near-immediately beamed 1,000 energy credits to the Artisan Troupe to be their most cultured and refined sponsor of the first recorded instance of pan-Galactic cultural exchange!

Red Fruit and Aarohi Varma,
Welcome and similar soul,
Though one is Mollusc,
The other Mammal

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sadly they are very far away from us, but that is ok. It simply means that all corners of the galaxy have friendly faces present :]

2296:04:12: The Royal Adnori Domain declares rivalry with Mandasura Berserkers, resulting in the Triangle Enmity.

2297:05:03: The United Nations excitedly begins construction of the MUSEUM OF DEEPEST LORE. The MUSEUM OF DEEPEST LORE intends to be the first united effort by mankind to collect, preserve and showcase every single artifact and item of any cultural significance for all mankind to see free of charge, forever, with a self-learning administrative curator AI continually searching for new artifacts, aided by an army of daring explorer-archaeologist-shopper droids.

2297:06:05:
Galactic Stock Exchange research begins alongside quantum field manipulations to grant Earth the edge in energy production. Two months later, the research is scrapped, as the UN deems the project unnecessary at this time - with Planet Earth getting ready to overhaul it's one power-plant to power all of Earth with the first quantum-field manipulation energy grid. Also important question, is it ok to modify the genes of humans?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
With the improvement of Earth telescopes, we have been able to observe how our voidspace has become a haven for alien lifeforms that would otherwise be hunted within the sovereignty of other Empires. Our non-interference has kept vital ecosystems open and safe for all spacebourne entities!

*OOC, I have added a mod that makes solar systems prettier, and also removes many of the event clauses that restrict events to firing on non-capital worlds. Given that we're only a capital world, this should occasionally make things happen

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2017, 10:10:44 pm »

Also important question, is it ok to modify the genes of humans?
Genemodding is like becoming a nonearth species! On Earth! Clearly we must enrich not only our culture, but our bodies.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2017, 10:46:37 pm »

Someday ayylmaos will come to threaten us. Then, the people will see. On that day, we shall cease being the United Nations, and start being the AWAKENED NATIONS.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2017, 01:48:28 am »

Glory be! Another calm-spirited and art-loving collection of minds joined by art! A hyper-festival shall be held today in the name of all mollusca.

Genetic engineering for peaceful purposes is fine. Otherwise, how will we even play Aarohi Varma instruments?
One wheel short of a wagon

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2017, 04:50:58 am »

PTW.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 30