Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we leave planet Earth

No it is really <comfy> here :^)
Sorry what was the question?
The galaxy is a hoax, nothing exists outside of planet earth.
Why don't scientists do something useful like fix the economy instead?
We don't need to go to vacuum in space, we have vacuums here.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 30

Author Topic: Stellaris: Never leave Earth  (Read 81361 times)

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Never leave Earth
« Reply #285 on: December 10, 2017, 03:39:49 pm »

Holy shit. We've lost a lot of ships fighting these bugs. But their sacrifice was not in vain!
...If we beat them all the way back now that they've eaten mostly everyone, won't the whole galaxy be ours? What would we even do with it?
NO it would NOT be ours. We would put all the xeno pops right back where they were before.

And before you ask, we're NOT keeping the space armadas either.

Who died and made you the Chosen One?

First, in the galaxy: What will be left when we finish cleansing the Swarm will kostly be bare, dead worlds. Only we have the technology and resources to breath life back into the consumed sectors. Now I agree that the species we have saved should be returned to their restored homeworlds to begin rebuilding, but certain personality quirks like homocidal mania should probably be adjusted before they lead their own paths again.

Once the Swarm is destroyed, most of the fleet can be scrapped, but certainly not all. After all, the Hunters are coming, and the enemy of our enemy may not be our friends.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 10, 2017, 03:50:12 pm »

Oh, you say that with the best of intentions, but this is how it starts. A few adjustments here, a few Agincourts there, and before you know it we're ruling a galaxy of slave-races genetically engineered as perfect subjects with an iron fist.
One wheel short of a wagon

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 10, 2017, 03:52:09 pm »

that's a pretty dank slippery slope u got there m8
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 10, 2017, 04:30:28 pm »

We need to ensure the aliens can go back to their own planets! Anything else would be an unegalitarian and unfriendly action! We're saving the galaxy for them, too.

of course, once the emergency is over, we can't force them to go, like our ancestors forced humanity to escape to Olympia. That would be wrong.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 10, 2017, 05:04:06 pm »

So I guess our plan is the cleanse the whole galaxy, claim each species' home planet, terraform them either into gaia worlds or their original types, make each one its own independent government, and let everyone move around as they like?
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 10, 2017, 05:08:56 pm »

That should be the way to do it. Also, just as we're planning to restore Earth to its original state, we should do the same for the other homeworlds. It might be difficult, but I'm sure that by looking at each race's climate preferences we can probably do it.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 10, 2017, 05:39:09 pm »

Oh, you say that with the best of intentions, but this is how it starts. A few adjustments here, a few Agincourts there, and before you know it we're ruling a galaxy of slave-races genetically engineered as perfect subjects with an iron fist.

It would be fun, after all this time, to turn the UN evil and see what gives.

But seriously! Can we save the slippery slope arguments for AFTER we have beaten the living daylights out of the bugs?
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 10, 2017, 06:07:51 pm »

Oh, you say that with the best of intentions, but this is how it starts. A few adjustments here, a few Agincourts there, and before you know it we're ruling a galaxy of slave-racesdependants genetically engineered as perfect subjectschildren watched over with an iron fista kind and thoughtful surveillance program.

It would be fun, after all this time, to turn the UN eviloverly paternal and see what gives.

But seriously! Can we save the slippery slope arguments for AFTER we have beaten the living daylights out of the bugs?

Fixed that for you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #293 on: December 10, 2017, 08:34:37 pm »

Well shit.  I am impressed.  What's the plan now?  Slowly begin turning worlds to glass?  Are there any other planets left other then Olympia?
Current plan: The Avatar goes around cleaning up Fortresses, the Agincourt Ships go around cleansing planets, and we keep doing this until all the Prethoryn are gone. Besides the habitats and Olympia there are no worlds inhabited by sapient life, although I have seen worlds that were simply left uninfested by the prethoryn.
Is this capable of being nominated for any hall of legends type thingies?
Nah leave it, that's for Dorf Fortress stuff
Soon it will stop being about need and start being about how far we can grind their(hypothetical) noses into the mud while displaying our supremacy over them.
Wouldn't feel right in the spirit of the LP, the UN wouldn't seek to humiliate an enemy like the prethoryn, they'd just eliminate them. Maybe send a message before the final shot though: "Hak hak hak fuckers"
Good lord almighty, this is literally THE biggest-resistance-against-overwhelming-odds I have EVER seen in ANY game I've ever seen, god DAMN LW.
Why ty
Apparently I was slightly wrong. You can invade infested worlds, but ONLY if the pops living there haven't been purged yet. It's possible to launch "counter-invasions" in order to save the populations, but once they're all gone the world is entirely infested, and you can only bombard them into a barren wasteland.
I don't consider occupied worlds as infested as such
Holy shit. We've lost a lot of ships fighting these bugs. But their sacrifice was not in vain!
...If we beat them all the way back now that they've eaten mostly everyone, won't the whole galaxy be ours? What would we even do with it?
We lost so many ships we left all the wreckage that millions of years from now scientists will discover as evidence of precursor civs. Also yeah the whole galaxy will be ours in the sense that no one else is left, but it'll be as the commonwealth of all living beings. We will try our best to undo the damage caused by the prethoryn, and have got a preliminary plan for the recovery, but as before, it's still too early to plan for sure while the prethoryn are still so vast.
NO it would NOT be ours. We would put all the xeno pops right back where they were before.
And before you ask, we're NOT keeping the space armadas either.
I think you'll be pleased if the current post-war plan succeeds, but Mum's the word

What other nations/empires/civilizations remain?
How heavily has the game been modded/have you been cheating? I know you did some stuff for the sake of the story/not immediately dying, but could you compile a list of the mods that you applied, cheating that you did, console commands that you used, etc.?
After you finish this LP, are you going to post a link to it on the Stellaris subreddit? If so, what should the summary/description of the LP that you post there to encourage people to click on the link and read this LP be?
No nations remain but the UN of Olympia. Of the mods, in order of significance: Fortress build radius decreased from 200 to 20, allowing for 10x as dense Fortress configurations. This basically saved Earth for a few times and without it, it is likely Earth would've been eliminated wholly before it reached Olympia (and it certainly bought a lot more time to relocate pops to Olympia). The next would be build times in tier 6 spaceports being around 5x faster than normal tier 6 spaceports, so I don't have to sit through centuries of nothing just to build up 1 fleet. I tried modding sentinels to have a larger fleet cap but that didn't really work so I just deleted that and let them run as normal, likewise the mod to increase the prethoryn queen's brood size was pointless as even with more ships she was effortlessly nom'd by the scourge. The only other things are that I'm considering modding the gene ascension path to not be exclusive, so we can change genetics a bit more (potentially even recreate homo sapiens), and I also modified the asteroid colony event so that it could strike the capital planet and kill every pop on the planet. That event has been ticking ever since, so in the first few centuries where we had no spaceport, at any moment an asteroid could have hit Earth and caused humanity's extinction. I kept this modification a secret, as I though it could make for a pleasant surprise, that amidst all of our debates and utopian memes, at any moment a giant rock could hit Earth and everything would be gone. I think the prethoryn are just a less subtle version of giant space rock threat. As for console:

Code: [Select]
debugtooltip
copy_pop 101
copy_pop 661
copy_pop 108
play 01
play 02
play 03
play 04
play 00
copy_pop 680
play 04
copy_pop 1246
play 00
play 04
play 03
play 05
play 06
play 07
play 08
play 09
play 10
play 11
play 12
play 13
play 14
play 15
play 16
play 17
play 18
play 19
play 20
play 21
play 22
play 23
play 24
play 25
play 26
play 27
play 28
play 29
play 30
play 31
play 32
play 33
play 34
play 35
play 36
play 37
play 38
play 39
play 40
play 41
play 42
play 43
play 44
copy_pop 1194
play 00
debugtooltip
copy_pop copies a population and places it in a selected world, in this case I used it to nab pops like the Estwani or Lagin'Chuuz which otherwise would refuse to migrate to our habitats, where all the others were fine with it. As far as I can tell a pop will only migrate to another planet if it's the dominant pop. Also the Adnor were still xenophobes and refused to sign a migration treaty, so for all intents and purposes we abducted an adnor pop for their own survival, and definitely not because we love the fluffy mammals or anything. The last cycle of tag switching was to try and find the Mandasuran pop, as the species screen told me some of their descendants still existed, but I had no idea where.
In regards to reddit, nah I don't use it.

After you finish this LP, are you going to post a link to it on the Stellaris subreddit? If so, what should the summary/description of the LP that you post there to encourage people to click on the link and read this LP be?
Yeah, I definitely expected it to die at some parts there, but you've held out a surprising amount.
As far as headlines go:
I beat the Prethoryn with a grand total of 2 planets
I probably wouldn't go for something like that. I never wanted to beat the Prethoryn, I just wanted to have a silly UN of Earth run and see how long it took before humanity was asborbed into a greater political entity. I would have been happy with an asteroid hitting Earth, with being diplomatically absorbed into the Belmacosans, enslaved by the Adnori or exterminated by the Mandasuran Berserkers (with tag switching, we could've even played as a xenos faction, observing human interactions within their Empire), but being killed by the prethoryn? It seemed far too cheap to me. It was not a worthy end. Not to mention they arrived at a time where there was a genuine hope that the Bright Entente could peacefully unify the galaxy. I had even planned to do a whole xenology post detailing the species and political states of the galaxy before the prethoryn arrived from nowhere.
Seems fitting that Utopia means noplace. Noplace, Olympia and the Scourge from nowhere.

It would be fun, after all this time, to turn the UN evil and see what gives.
I don't like suggestions for evil for evil's sake, I like it more when logical actions arise and are executed which could be labeled as evil. For example, leaving Earth. Perfectly logical; broke our moral code, is evil. Otherwise NJW's concerns are not too off the mark, as all of our peeps have been psionically awakening and calling their species things like super-human ultra. This is also the most powerful humans have ever been relative to the other denizens of the galaxy, so we've got to respect that we could accidentally cause great damage without even meaning any malicious intent.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is one of the prettiest populations screens I've ever seen. That is all.
Some other things of note while I slug through prethoryn worlds: The Admiral Haruna Higuchi? The one who got depressed after emerging as the only survivor of a calamitous battle with the prethoryn? Turns out she's the perfect President for the post-war period, in that she's the only candidate amongst all the admiralty, civil service and research sector that is a world-shaper. What this means is, she's a natural director for terraforming!

Spoiler: 2705 (click to show/hide)
It's the beginning of the end for the prethoryn. We've lost the avatar a couple more times due to carelessness, but as we're capable of fielding 100 Agincourt battleships led by Mira Petrenko and Bao Miroslav it's been no matter of concern. It really is just a matter of time, as while the prethoryn have bogged us down with their endless ships (which still do 150% damage), the Peacekeeping mission is eliminating 1-3 worlds every reinforcement cycle. The war could be over in a few decades. In the meantime we're saving up minerals to build a sentry array to observe the galaxy and prethoryn movements (though no construction has begun... And I may decide against it on the grounds of protecting the privacy rights of all galactic citizens). Also built more habitats, but nothing major, just one more solar system.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Combat stats as of 2708. We're at the point where 100 Battleships can take on 4 Prethoryn broods and eliminate them all, suffering around 10 ship losses. It's gonna be a while still

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 10, 2017, 08:49:52 pm »

You'd think that the Scourge would just gather up every fleet and throw them at you in one huge lump at this point. You're all that keeps them from total galactic domination at this point, and even the loss of several of their worlds would be worth it if they could infest Olympia. I mean, if that happens the war is as good as over; habitats can't have space stations, and so can't build or repair ships. The Peacekeeping fleets would eventually be worn away.

Oh well. Good thing the AI isn't that smart. I hope.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 10, 2017, 08:54:55 pm »

Yeah I almost feel bad for them, given HOW IDITOIC and UNINOVATIVE they are!

I mean IDK who the dont just absorb the memories and tech of places they consume like most HS's(thinking flood and reapers and tyranids for examples) I mean I am glad they don't but still...

How do we get the Defender Of The Galaxy thingy anyway, I think we deserve it after all this.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 10, 2017, 09:03:05 pm »

AI being dumb is basically the mainstay of stellaris warfare. Also defender of the galaxy is the name of an ascension perk, if that's what you mean? Or is there something else called that?

I feel some strange sense of disappointment that the end of this wasn't Hak hak hak "What was will be" hak hak hak. But this isn't a terrible end either. I can only imagine the amount of micromanagement hell one would have to go though to redevelop the galaxy.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 10, 2017, 10:00:44 pm »

What other nations/empires/civilizations remain?
How heavily has the game been modded/have you been cheating? I know you did some stuff for the sake of the story/not immediately dying, but could you compile a list of the mods that you applied, cheating that you did, console commands that you used, etc.?
No nations remain but the UN of Olympia. Of the mods, in order of significance: Fortress build radius decreased from 200 to 20, allowing for 10x as dense Fortress configurations. This basically saved Earth for a few times and without it, it is likely Earth would've been eliminated wholly before it reached Olympia (and it certainly bought a lot more time to relocate pops to Olympia). The next would be build times in tier 6 spaceports being around 5x faster than normal tier 6 spaceports, so I don't have to sit through centuries of nothing just to build up 1 fleet. I tried modding sentinels to have a larger fleet cap but that didn't really work so I just deleted that and let them run as normal, likewise the mod to increase the prethoryn queen's brood size was pointless as even with more ships she was effortlessly nom'd by the scourge. The only other things are that I'm considering modding the gene ascension path to not be exclusive, so we can change genetics a bit more (potentially even recreate homo sapiens), and I also modified the asteroid colony event so that it could strike the capital planet and kill every pop on the planet. That event has been ticking ever since, so in the first few centuries where we had no spaceport, at any moment an asteroid could have hit Earth and caused humanity's extinction. I kept this modification a secret, as I though it could make for a pleasant surprise, that amidst all of our debates and utopian memes, at any moment a giant rock could hit Earth and everything would be gone. I think the prethoryn are just a less subtle version of giant space rock threat. As for console:

Code: [Select]
debugtooltip
copy_pop 101
copy_pop 661
copy_pop 108
play 01
play 02
play 03
play 04
play 00
copy_pop 680
play 04
copy_pop 1246
play 00
play 04
play 03
play 05
play 06
play 07
play 08
play 09
play 10
play 11
play 12
play 13
play 14
play 15
play 16
play 17
play 18
play 19
play 20
play 21
play 22
play 23
play 24
play 25
play 26
play 27
play 28
play 29
play 30
play 31
play 32
play 33
play 34
play 35
play 36
play 37
play 38
play 39
play 40
play 41
play 42
play 43
play 44
copy_pop 1194
play 00
debugtooltip
copy_pop copies a population and places it in a selected world, in this case I used it to nab pops like the Estwani or Lagin'Chuuz which otherwise would refuse to migrate to our habitats, where all the others were fine with it. As far as I can tell a pop will only migrate to another planet if it's the dominant pop. Also the Adnor were still xenophobes and refused to sign a migration treaty, so for all intents and purposes we abducted an adnor pop for their own survival, and definitely not because we love the fluffy mammals or anything. The last cycle of tag switching was to try and find the Mandasuran pop, as the species screen told me some of their descendants still existed, but I had no idea where.
In regards to reddit, nah I don't use it.
I'm concerned by the bolded part. So you basically gave yourself a quintupled fleet-production rate? I mean, your ship-production speed was still somewhat limited/bottlenecked because you still had to pay for the ships, but it still kind of undermines your achievement somewhat.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 11, 2017, 03:12:14 am »

Not... really, actually. If the swarms can't make it through the fortress arrays, and the AI isn't smart enough to gather 1m+ power hellfleets, then it's just a matter of fast forwarding for HOURS while you build up a fleet of battleships. Normally at that point, I'd just produce battleships from 20+ shipyards, but it's not like Loud Whispers has that luxury.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #299 on: December 11, 2017, 08:06:04 am »

You'd think that the Scourge would just gather up every fleet and throw them at you in one huge lump at this point. You're all that keeps them from total galactic domination at this point, and even the loss of several of their worlds would be worth it if they could infest Olympia. I mean, if that happens the war is as good as over; habitats can't have space stations, and so can't build or repair ships. The Peacekeeping fleets would eventually be worn away.
Oh well. Good thing the AI isn't that smart. I hope.
I reckon we could take on a 1,500,000 doomstack at this point. Peacekeeping fleet with 600k+ strength led by Mira Petrenko and Fortresses would likely win, especially considering how a 50k strength battleship fleet can now easily take on 100k of prethoryn.

How do we get the Defender Of The Galaxy thingy anyway, I think we deserve it after all this.
We've had the Defender of the Galaxy perk for hundreds of years already. +50% damage to prethoryn, never leave home without it

I feel some strange sense of disappointment that the end of this wasn't Hak hak hak "What was will be" hak hak hak. But this isn't a terrible end either. I can only imagine the amount of micromanagement hell one would have to go though to redevelop the galaxy.
Thankfully PI have streamlined it considerably. Terraforming candidates show up in the expansion planner

I'm concerned by the bolded part. So you basically gave yourself a quintupled fleet-production rate? I mean, your ship-production speed was still somewhat limited/bottlenecked because you still had to pay for the ships, but it still kind of undermines your achievement somewhat.
This is not an achievement run, so I wouldn't be too worried. To understand why this was necessary, with one spaceport available, even with a tier 6 spaceport running Standard Construction Templates, Master Shipwrights and Battleship assembly yards, I'd be at +166% construction speed. What this would mean is that after waiting 10-20 years to get the resources needed to build battleships, I'd have to wait another 43 years to build a fleet of 100 ships. With the scourge wearing down 100 battleships to 50 after 4-5 rounds of reinforcements, that'd mean at the most I'd be able to cleanse half a dozen worlds every century. This means that starting from 2654, when they had 134 worlds under their sway, I'd finish cleansing the prethoryn around the year 4921. Even if my technology outpaced all resource constraints and made it so I could afford to make a battleship everyday, I would still be waiting those 43 years to make a fleet. This would be beyond boring.

Not... really, actually. If the swarms can't make it through the fortress arrays, and the AI isn't smart enough to gather 1m+ power hellfleets, then it's just a matter of fast forwarding for HOURS while you build up a fleet of battleships. Normally at that point, I'd just produce battleships from 20+ shipyards, but it's not like Loud Whispers has that luxury.
Or the time
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 30