Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Duel-Wield or no...?  (Read 2770 times)

JakeSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Duel-Wield or no...?
« on: August 07, 2017, 05:39:52 pm »

I do it sometimes for role-play reasons but is there any reason tactically to wield them?
VALLHALLA HUNGERS!!!
-JakeSlayer

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Duel-Wield or no...?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 10:51:46 pm »

Tactically it adds hit opportunities that can deal substantially more damage depending on your weapon and skill (eg: more than a shield.) If you're quick and accurate enough you can disable both opponent's hands in one round. Dual style works best against armed and armored opponents. Because it doesn't deflect unarmed attacks (or dragonfire), the more massive the opponent the more a shield should be preferred.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 09:36:54 pm »

For bladed/piercing weapons, dual wielding also lets the user keep a lethal weapon in hand should the other get stuck in their opponent. Kinda a double edged sword, as both the user and opponent get dodging penalties under such circumstances.

Of course, many-armed adventurers (ie those playing as one of various arthropod-men) naturally have incentive to use more than one weapon in addition to shields.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 09:41:53 pm by ShinQuickMan »

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 09:11:46 am »

Tests suggest so far that in melee, versus non-ranged enemies, dual wielding performs similarly to single wielding with shield. Keep in mind that you cannot bat off projectiles and should you face an enemy with a breath attack, you're (litterally) toast.

I suggest investing heavily in dodge and be prepared to lose limbs

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 11:56:44 am »

Tests done with autoattack will have pessimistic results. If you're smarter than the AI then you can make it work.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 11:59:34 am »

Wield an axe and a hammer, aim for face with hammer and arms with axe. Win.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 05:14:53 am »

Duel wielding has saved my life on numerous occasions. If you're in a protracted battle, you WILL lose function in one of your limbs, and that extra blade can be the difference between fumbling to get out your knife and dying, or killing the thing that wounded you and getting back up. I heartily recommend duel wielding short swords. Spears, hammers and axes are better used with shields IMO.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 06:18:36 am »

If you're smarter than the AI then you can make it work.

Tests with AI actually favors dual wielding by removing random shield bash occurences. With human intelligence behind a character action, single wielding with shield have a distinct advantage.

Is having two axes better than having just an axe and no shield? Yes.
Can having two axes provide a marginal and circustancial advantage in some situations? Yes.
Is dual wielding viable? Yes.
Does dual wielding overpowers singlewielding with shield? Absolutely not.

Your effectiveness in melee, including both offense and defense, will be roughly the same as singlewielding with shield, but you'll lose the ability to block projectiles and breath attacks. You'll earn experience quicker tho.
As a sidenote, if you lose an arm, the pain and bloodloss will likely kill you regardless of the fact you have another weapon ready. At the time you're taking wounds, the battle already shifted critically against you.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 06:27:19 am by Cathar »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 07:57:53 am »

The relative effectiveness depends quite a lot on speed. A slower fighter should stand and keep the shield ready to soak blows. A fighter who's quick and skilled enough to multi-attack reliably can become a combat monster with dual wielding, because the increased damage output isn't marginal.

That said, the form isn't sound when facing a hydra due to the unavoidable multiple attacks, dragons due to their fire, and many titans, FBs and demons spit or blast all kinds of nasty syndromes.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 08:32:16 am »

It is pretty bad when facing a firing squad of crossbowmen and archers.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 09:08:24 am »

It is pretty bad when facing a firing squad of crossbowmen and archers.
A firing squad of Imperial Stormtroopers isn't as scary as it looks.

5crownik007

• Bay Watcher
  • 5crownik007 cancels Homework, playing Dwarf Fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 09:59:58 pm »

You can do multi-attacks.
https://i.gyazo.com/a2e73b4fe5612640aacbe46cb4c78740.gif
The Soviet invasion of the Reich fort in arena. Soviets won despite... that.
---------------------------
GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 07:16:00 pm »

A useful context for Uzu Bash and 5crownik007's mention of single round multi-attacks is when your character for whatever reason cannot perform the Kisat Dur Grab + Jump or Grab + Dodge disarms versus an NPC who has a weapon, but no shield.

The dual wield, single round, multi-attack to both hands/arms is a nice one: quick attack (to arm/hand 1) + quick attack (to arm/hand 2) + dodge away. Best bet is 2 dagger stabs on account of a dagger's 5 contact area.

Had played with this once a while back, but it was out-of-character until this current adventure mode rangery run, so never used it much, effective though it is.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 09:42:05 am »

I fiddled with this in the arena yesterday. Statistics aside, it's awesomely satisfying to slice off a dangerous opponents hands then run back and watch them bleed.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2017, 08:17:17 pm »

Duel-Wield every time.
Theres nothing like takeing off both arms in attack.
With the skills and good targeting your almost unstop able, you see you can stike at two place in one tick.
Mix in good kicks and you can really get throu them.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG