Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Terrifying  (Read 1305 times)

argh226

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Terrifying
« on: August 08, 2017, 07:36:33 am »

I wanted to know some of your experiences with the terrifying biome...

I've been trying quite a few times to start and manage a fortress while everything is turning into undead/dead/etc.  They are all hostiles and don’t give much of a break especially when you start with rather nothing in term of offense or defense.  That said I finally managed to get a couple of swords and battle axes to find out my whole 15 dwarves hitting for many days (if not more?) on a undead hen skin without ever killing it.  Actually, my dwarves died of thirst before killing it...  I'm not sure if its on purpose or a bug.

Rather strange to me...

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Terrifying
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 01:11:56 pm »

Embark.

Normal white storks show up.

Nothing reanimates, just like standard untamed wilds. Expect there's glumprongs and sliver barbs.

There are clouds that briefly knock out dwarves, who will be fine afterwards, but give bit of diagnosing experience to doctors.

Also, yeah, too small things can't be hit - though that might have also been reanimated bit of skin that was cut off from original hen. Easiest vanilla solution is surrounding your butcher and tanner with cage traps, or not using livestock.

Because of this, sharp weapons are kind of double-edged swords (pun) in that they cut things to pieces very well, but some of those pieces will rise up again and be unkillable. If you want things to stay down, use blunt weapons, as those will mangle the corpses. Swordwarves will eventually get into situation where they'll all gang up on a rabbit head or something.

In adventure mode, you can be husked (repeatedly) by evil dustclouds. You retain control of character, however you become opposed to life.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 01:16:12 pm by Fleeting Frames »

argh226

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 10:37:09 am »

Great!

Didn't think about using hammer instead and while I was beating thin air skin, I had to lock door from the butcher where an undead dog head was waiting for me. :)

Capture the undead thing and get it crushed under a bridge or something!

Chaia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 05:42:59 am »

Your best bet is to take some dwarves with hammers with you. Also, as soon as you embark, dig a small trench without access to the outside to save you from at least walking undead. Afterwards hit the ground and wall yourself off until you are ready for the outside troubles. Unless you know what to do, don't take animals with you. Aquifiers can help you with water and, later, energy supply

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 04:05:56 pm »

I remember embarking several versions/years ago, back before the changes to the undead system, and I immediately started off with an undead skate in the nearby stream leaping out and scaring off my starting dwarves, until the yaks that pulled the wagon stomped it to death.  I generally avoided evil biomes after the changes, just because they caused so much FPS decay, especially the earlier clouds and their never-disappearing contaminants, and I don't generally go "for the challenge" (which is kind of an unbalanced random farce), anyway.

Generally, I wouldn't bother bringing a full hammer - those are pretty expensive - just bring an anvil (granted, also kind of expensive), and some copper and wood/coal.  You MIGHT need to fight immediately, but that's something where I'll just force-quit, reload, and embark elsewhere if I actually needed a weapon in hand at the start of the game to survive (that is, the yaks couldn't kill it), because it's not like you can really do much about it, anyway.

With evil biomes, you absolutely need to get underground immediately, so do bring one or maybe two picks, and maybe even give some mining experience to at least one dwarf.  Dig a tunnel right next to the wagon, dig out a storage space, move everything indoors (including any animals you want to keep), then wall it off as quickly as possible, because sometimes, you'll have fortress-ending thralling dust come pretty quickly. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 12:15:51 am »

My first experience with thralling clouds involved a fort where I built walls as soon as possible. Unfortunately, I didn't properly seal it and then all my dwarves were thralled/murdered by zombified dwarves.

My shortest fort ever was an attempt to reclaim the same fort. A thralling cloud appeared about 2 steps of time in, right on top of my starting spot. I immediately lost.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 04:44:59 pm »

My first experience with thralling clouds involved a fort where I built walls as soon as possible. Unfortunately, I didn't properly seal it and then all my dwarves were thralled/murdered by zombified dwarves.

My shortest fort ever was an attempt to reclaim the same fort. A thralling cloud appeared about 2 steps of time in, right on top of my starting spot. I immediately lost.

Heh.  Thralling cloud probably didn't actually leave, the dwarves just didn't notice it in the first tick.

My shortest fort ever was when I accidentally helped isolate the cause of the adamantine spire bug, (abandoning a world and genning a new one - the old world's landmark data wasn't cleaned up properly, causing garbage data to be loaded into the terrain), which caused my wagon and dwarves to spawn inside a cave-in of the magma sea.  They didn't actually get to have a tick before being instantly combust-ploded.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare