Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Goals of a Fortress  (Read 7669 times)

Unhacker

• Bay Watcher
  • The Laziest bastard on the Internet.
    • View Profile
Goals of a Fortress
« on: August 08, 2017, 08:37:52 am »

This is more sort of a bad case of curiosity on my part, but what is the goal that you set yourself for your fort?

My goal on my Fort "The Lonely Dwelling" is to maintain a minimal amount of dwarves (maxing that shit out at ten, only letting dwarves that amuse me survive, the rest get starved) and using that, create a massive stockpile of gems and gold that I won't trade.

So tell me, what's your goal.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goals of a Fortress
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 08:56:48 am »

I set goals for the world I play in. Fortresses make up one part of that. Often means I dont end up playing a fortress for so many years it grinds into fps death which is nice.

I usually try to do one new thing that I haven't tried before in my fortresses though.

Civillain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel!
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 10:00:59 am »

My goal at the moment is technically to build a beach resort, but really my goal is to play with taverns, temples, libraries, and visitors. This is my first fortress since they were added!
I put Dwarf Fortress videos on the internet https://www.youtube.com/c/Civillain

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 10:45:57 am »

I usually try to do one new thing that I haven't tried before in my fortresses though.
This.

Megaproject, experiment, layout, rp, idea...

There may be some novelty in creating exactly alike designated and ordered fortresses, to compare and contrast the effects of dwarves and the world, but I find it not interesting.

Civillain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel!
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 11:17:04 am »

There may be some novelty in creating exactly alike designated and ordered fortresses, to compare and contrast the effects of dwarves and the world, but I find it not interesting.

I'm personally really trying to break out of those perfectly ordered fortresses. I'm into designating stuff as you go at the moment without planning everything out in advance, and it makes it feel kind of chaotic but it also makes every fortress feel organic and different.
I put Dwarf Fortress videos on the internet https://www.youtube.com/c/Civillain

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 12:05:54 pm »

Oh, I'm very much still frontloading planning my forts. (I do experiments as well, but I usually dispose of them afterwards.)

Just, every fort has that order different. (Though can't see myself ever not placing raw materials not close to workshops expect for some unusual purposes like i.e. spaced mass butchering for low pop forts.)

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 01:46:21 pm »

I play it more like a TBS. Anymore, I don't do more than a couple embarks per month normally, and run the fort primarily to see how to improve layout efficiency. It's not until you have lots of dwarves running around that you find the pathing problems, and then it's too late to implement the fixes on that fort, so it's off to the next one.

I thought I had a reasonably good farming setup (combined with a fast button-up), but the last couple forts have shown me some later-game issues. I've still retained the 1x3 and 1x7 layouts, just in case fertilizing is ever worth doing. I'm currently working on where seed and harvest stockpiles are relative to the farms, and more importantly, where stairs to the level below where the food and drink prep is done. Or hopefully is. In this case, I've had to adapt things because of a particularly shallow aquifer. Underground farms are going to have to be below the aquifer, though fortunately that makes mudding them trivial...

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 02:26:30 pm »

Hm. I'm curious. Can you show explain setup you had and the late-game issues with it?

AlBravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 04:56:44 pm »

Keep my FPS flickering around 100.  To that end I was pleasingly surprised when I created a small world with small everything and a 3x3 embark.  Everything is so much faster.  Saves are only a few seconds. And even at my cap of 100 dwarves I am holding steady near 100 fps.  I'm atom smashing all trash and trying to build a minimum number of items.  No animals.  And I wall off mines as they play out.  I'm building down not out so my level footprints are about 15x15.  I am most worried about the caverns.  We will see.  But so far this is the fastest/best fort I have ever had.  And I finally sat down and overclocked my CPU from 3300 to 4300.  That got me about a 15 frame increase on an old fort.  I recommend it.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 04:59:09 pm by AlBravo »
Ancient Avatar

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 07:12:55 pm »

Tometower's goal is to build a 90% surface city (only workshops, storage and prisons underground) that climbs its way up a mountain. I then wanted to make it the mountainhome and have the king chill out in a sweet palace at the mountain's peak.

So far we have:
Successfully become the mountainhome
Every dwarf has their own room in one of the apartment towers
The militia trains in the courtyard of their clifftop bastion
Works are proceeding on hauling some magma up via minecart to the workshop level for closer magma shops
The library is finished
The gatehouse holds the new jail, new siege bunker, and quarters for the newly formed royal guard so that they can always be on hand to defend the palace at the peak

Palace is still WIP, but the foundations are being built/dug right now. The mayor has already moved in to his small quarters. Also need to finish the permanent temples.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 08:19:52 pm »

My goal is to create a prosperous fortress of 170 dwarves with a room for every dwarf, good living conditions, decent military and a road from the trade depot underground to the edge of the map.
I play each fortress for about 15 in game years and make sure it becomes a duchy or county before retiring and building the next fortress. I try to stick to the same civilisation.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 08:45:18 pm »

a road from the trade depot underground to the edge of the map.
I once did that, and paved it with goblin bones.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 04:03:17 am »

'Functional, working fortress' is the usual initial goal, then I tend to branch out and aim towards an eventual goal.

For example, 'play with minecarts' has been the goal for a couple of forts to discover how the damned things work for ore haulage. It also involved trying to solve a murder mystery that turned out to be stray carts squashing people who blundered onto the tracks. Turns out it's safer to just drop ores and bars down a shaft to the magma forges. In bulk.
One fort had 'block out the sun' as an objective, another had 'lava moat' after I cleared 'survive human sieges' and 'get wood despite no trade and no trees' forced themselves into the list. (Turns out, there's good eating on cavalry horses.)
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Dragonunion

• Bay Watcher
  • ... challenging the monsters of the depths
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 04:35:27 am »

I try to survive as long as possible with my fort. Its cool to see what happens in the time and how the fort evolves. You get problems, solve them and get a bigger one. Its not a real creative idea, but you can add new things.
The nice thing is that the difficulty can be from really easy (lonely island) up to nearly impossible(Evil glacier with tower+Goblins and dwarfs).
Something like the last one I maybe try later.

Hope that my fort survive many years. When the fort dies it will be really interesting to see what happened all over the world while my fort rised. Many hours with legends viewer:D
The old apple revels in its authority.

Unhacker

• Bay Watcher
  • The Laziest bastard on the Internet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 04:46:45 am »

On one of my old forts called "the Crown of Hope" for irony's sake, each iteration of the fort was based around solving what the problem which killed it. The initial goal was to create a fort with a fully functioning military (I was new to the game and the military system confused me more than anything)

First Iteration starved, so the reclamation was based around improving agriculture and general food stocks (the fort got an ashery)

Second Iteration of the fort drowned, so the reclamation was based around solving the problems of poor forethought that led to the well overflowing and eventually flooding my fortress.

Third Iteration was pummeled into the ground by a blind cave ogre, released by my successful attempts to solve the flooding problem.

Fourth Iteration was pummeled into the ground by the fortress, again.

Save was accidentally deleted after that.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 05:00:27 am by Unhacker »
Pages: [1] 2 3