Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22

Author Topic: Sindari: Immortals  (Read 29779 times)

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sindari: Immortals
« Reply #300 on: September 01, 2018, 02:28:08 pm »

"So let me get this straight. The Pharaoh is summoning Apophis in a year?" Dairus asked over the Sindari's shared mindlink/long-range communication thing.

Yes, Octavian answered.

"And you know what that-"

Yes.

"Like, are you sure it's real Apophis as opposed to an overgrown python or something?”

Pretty sure it's the real thing.

“Then you should know that that's the very antithesis of what a Pharaoh is supposed to do. He's supposed to be the instrument of the gods on Earth, not causing chaos!”

Well, we told you he was evil.

“This isn’t even evil. This… is madness! Apophis is the end of everything we know and love personified! Apophis is what you hope you don’t dream about when you go to sleep, if you’re a god.”

My actions:

→ Attempt to help Octavian’s infiltration with my knowledge of the layout of the pyramid and the various servants of the Pharaoh that I controlled last turn

→ Help Wavebringer rile up a decent mob against the Pharaoh, by hiding among the crowd and using Bind the Will to turn individuals that look like they may have an influence

→ Have a bird circling that area to watch for the Pharaoh or his forces and warn Wavebringer to get out if they come

→ Also have the bird poop on the Pharaoh’s head if he comes, just because.

Will write a separate turn after the event.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: September 02, 2018, 08:30:25 pm »

In the 120tht year since Sindari creation...
All actions summarized in spoiler.
Spoiler: Decade changes (click to show/hide)

((Dead tired from work; will edit this all later for clearer formatting))
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 09:31:03 pm by Tiruin »

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #302 on: September 03, 2018, 12:23:04 am »

One year providing whatever equipment people want from me (except for, of course, my artifacts) for stopping the Pharaoh.
5 years studying my magic alongside Amelia's, in order to develop a fuller understanding of how it works.
4 years attempting to harness this framework to learn how to cast larger spells without the assistance of a soul gem.
GM of Trespassers V2.
I'm writing a science fantasy story. Mostly hiatused due to life stuff.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: September 09, 2018, 03:24:22 pm »

The Black Soul Gem

Octavian stood in the midst of the Pharaoh’s inner sanctum. The vault door laid open behind, and around him lay numerous treasures. But in front of him stood the real prize. Held aloft by 4 claws of black iron, the Black Soul Gem, the size of a human torso, hummed with power. Lines and circles of some kind of ritual surrounded it. Octavian could sense the potency gathered around it. It seemed to be a ritual to focus its energies somewhere when called upon. It wouldn’t stop him from taking it. He took a step forward.

What does he do with the Black Soul Gem?

Xin knelt in the temple in meditation. His dreams had become more disturbed of late. He was accepted into the temple’s service several years prior. It was a secluded place of peace, though the peace had diminished somewhat with the increased defenses, both mundane and magical. He was one of the carefully vetted noviates, and had seen the Dragon Emperor himself as he renewed the wards in place. Xin was faithful and loyal and. . .
The Pharaoh awoke.
There was no physical change, aside from the peaceful expression on Xin’s face morphing into one more imperious and arrogant. He had buried his consciousness deep inside a constructed personality, made to infiltrate this northern temple. An enchantment powered by a Sindari soul gem allowed him to further disguise his reformed body’s potential. It had taken a trade of a monsterous spear that the Pharoah had acquired a long time ago, but thus far had proven an excellent trade.

The Pharaoh breathed out and closed his eyes. He had surreptitiously weakened the wards around the temple, but they could not fail to notice his reclaimed power. An alarm rang out before he could silence it. His dark magic surged through most the wards and magical traps, destroying them. Screams echoed out as stone rumbled and cried as stirred energy detonated.

The Pharaoh stride to the center of the temple. A guard rushed at him, but the Pharaoh weaved around him, his hand whipped back and snapping his neck. He resumed his stride, entering the wellspring of the temple.

The elders gaped at him, moments before being swallowed by a wave of dark power. The wellspring centered in a room covered by inscriptions of life and growth. The wellspring itself appeared no more than a deep pool, though the Pharaoh’s could sense the roaring power emanating from it.

This power, fostering incredible growth and life throughout China, flowed from the void. The Dragon Emperor came from there, as well as other monsters. Now, the Pharoah would expand the gate, and the Black Soul Gem he had spent so many years creating would act as the bait. It’s size and pure power made it impractical to transport as he had originally planned, and the failure of the Atlantean invasion had forced him to be more discrete. But he had formed a connection between this site and the soul gem.

The Pharaoh began the preparations for the ritual. This would require careful haste. He allowed himself a grin. The Void monster who slumbered between worlds and whispered in his dreams would soon arrive, and the Pharaoh would become a god in truth.

The storm came to Arkanus, the capital of Egypt and home of the Oynx Pyramid. The skies crackled with power, black clouds rolling above as two Sindari descended on a garrison of soldiers on the outskirts of the city. Lightening flashes down from the sky, bursting apart the building, sending molten stone and flaming wood flying away. 3 more times Wavebringer called down the lightening, sending a small tower down. The thunder rolled over the city, and when it faded there was deafening silence. Cries arose from the rubble, and shouts from the city as the citizens of Arcanus ran, some towards and others away.
A guard stumbled to his feet. His face and body was scorched from the heat of the lightening strikes, but he leveled his spear and charged at the 2 Sindari. Archaementes drew his twin swords and with a quick slash sent the mans head and body tumbling to the ground. Few stirred in the rubble.

The two Sindari faced the gathering crowd. The faces of Arkanus’ citizens were hostile and wary. Most lived good lives in the capital city and were loyal to the Pharaoh. As the Sindari began to deliver their message that the gods had turned against the Pharaoh and his rule. They could not help but listen, for what could summon this power except the gods themselves? Darius , skimming through the crowd, bound the will of the most resistant citizens, making them enthusiastic for the Sindari. The crowd gradually swelled as Wavebringer and Archaementes delivered a vicious indictment of the Pharaoh. The sound of marching boots announced the coming of the Pharaoh’s men, and a choice would have to be made to retreat or fight the oncoming soldiers. 

On the other side of the world, Turangol sat on the deck of the expedition ship in the Pacific Ocean. His mind was awhirl with all the possibilities. The Pharaoh had eclipsed everything, throwing dark shadows across the rest of the future. He saw Octavian in front of the Dark Soul Gem. Taking it would present its own dangers, but leaving it would allow whatever monster the Pharaoh was trying to summon able to cross. The Dragon Emperor would likely be lost, rushing to the Northern Temple to stop the Pharaoh’s scheme, unaware of the Hunter lying in wait. Where does Turangol focus his efforts?
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: September 09, 2018, 04:01:20 pm »

First things first, break apart the lines and circles and sigils and whatever that the Pharaoh set up here. Never know what those might do if left alone, but they definitely don't do anything when they aren't there.

Then abscond with the gem. Or hit it with my anti-magic tonfas if that seems like the right thing to do.
The other Sindari will probably be able to tell me which one is needed.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 04:16:45 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: September 09, 2018, 04:37:06 pm »

Turangol will use a Soul Gem and Telepathy (skill rank 18) to send a message to the Dragon Emperor before he is caught in the ambush:
"The Hunter lies in wait for you, and your death waits with him, let the Sindari end the Pharaoh's summoning. Three Sindari are in Egypt now, prepared to disrupt the ritual's key, the black soul gem. Remain in your palace, so that we can aid you when our brethren have escaped Egypt. The new Sindari, Darius, should reach Prince Tal shortly with one of his birds. He will relay messages as fast as possible, I must ensure that Octavian succeeds in his sabotage."

Sometimes, it is necessary to be heard. "OCTAVIAN DON'T BREAK ANYTHING YET!"

Turangol will quickly look back at the problems with damaging the array, removing the gem, and destroying the gem, in that order, taking as little time as possible and relaying his findings to Octavian and the rest of the Sindari as he goes.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Rahx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 09, 2018, 05:30:57 pm »

Spoiler: Zakoss (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: City Haven (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Fluff (click to show/hide)

10 year plan:

Zakoss:

5 years attempting to optimize/improve the current teleportation system.

5 years learning a new spell category: Ta cold, obviously the exact opposite of Ta Heat. Nearly identical applications.

City Haven:

5 years spent applying fair work laws. Laws reviewed by people and the nobles during the 5 year period.

5 years spent afterword developing official military

Desired results:

Children being able to attend school full time.

Haven having a military presence for defense

Teleportation system more optimized.

Spell category Ta - Cold 2 > 10

Perception 6 > 8

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 10, 2018, 01:51:22 pm »

As the crowd cheered their support for the Sindari, Archaementes cocked his head as his heightened hearing hear the sound of hundreds of boots marching toward them. The Pharaoh's soldiers will be upon them soon.

"We now have the enemy's attention," he said to Wavebringer as he looked upward at the stormy skies above, which were getting angrier every second. "However, Octavian may require more time to complete his task. Personally, I would like to fight to keep them distracted but, as you are  more experienced than me as a Sindari, I will defer to you if you believe that we should run."

If Wavebringer wants to retreat, Archaementes will keep the enemy off him. However, if he wants to fight, Archaementes will lead the attack on the enemy, using Force Vibrate and Force Dash to devastating effect.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 04:29:14 pm by Sir Elventide »

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 13, 2018, 09:29:16 am »

The Black Soul Gem

Turangol’s message entered the mind of the Dragon Emperor, warning him to go back. The great dragon snorted, black smoke streaming out of his nostrils as he continued on his way. He appreciated the warning, but he was the closest one to the temple and he had to stop this desecration.

A quick look into Octavian’s future showed some measure of danger. Destroying the array of markings would disrupt the Pharaohs ritual, but could potential cause a buildup of energy. Removing the gem would cause... Turangol couldn’t see down that path in the time that he had. It seems that the interaction between Octavian and the gem distorted the future. Destroying the gem could cause an explosion that would destroy the pyramid, and Octavian with it.

Turangol transmits this information to Octavian as he breaks the first circle surrounding the Black Soul Gem. Nothing spectacular happens, except for a rising pressure that Octavian can feel on his body. The Black Soul Gem seems to grow darker.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 13, 2018, 09:40:27 am »

Hmn. Breaking the runes doesn't seem to really work. I'm confused, yes it does.
Unless anyone here can think of a better way to solve this: build up a teleport charge and keep breaking the sigils. If an explosion happens, run like hell, hoping my luck-enchanted clothing will get me out safely. If I get caught in the explosion, send my Sindariness off to Ahote and hope my remains and equipment are recoverable.
Of course, if at any time I'm able to teleport out (after the sigils are broken, that is), do so - to somewhere in the middle of Russia first, so that if I'm tracked, it won't get the Cisharni to anywhere useful.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 10:59:45 am by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Sudurandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 13, 2018, 09:15:50 pm »

"We now have the enemy's attention," he said to Wavebringer as he looked upward at the stormy skies above, which were getting angrier every second. "However, Octavian may require more time to complete his task. Personally, I would like to fight to keep them distracted but, as you are  more experienced than me as a Sindari, I will defer to you if you believe that we should run."

Wavebringer smiled as thunder rumbled overhead. "Yes, they do seem to have noticed us. Shall we show these people what a couple Sindari can do?"
He took out a pair of soul gems and prepared to call down lightning when the soldiers arrived.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 14, 2018, 08:39:55 am »

Turangol will use a Soul Gem and Telepathy (skill rank 18) to send a message to the Dragon Emperor before he is caught in the ambush:
"The Hunter lies in wait for you, and your death waits with him, let the Sindari end the Pharaoh's summoning. Three Sindari are in Egypt now, prepared to disrupt the ritual's key, the black soul gem. Remain in your palace, so that we can aid you when our brethren have escaped Egypt. The new Sindari, Darius, should reach Prince Tal shortly with one of his birds. He will relay messages as fast as possible, I must ensure that Octavian succeeds in his sabotage."

The Black Soul Gem

Turangol’s message entered the mind of the Dragon Emperor, warning him to go back. The great dragon snorted, black smoke streaming out of his nostrils as he continued on his way. He appreciated the warning, but he was the closest one to the temple and he had to stop this desecration. [...]
Due to the telepathic bond that Amelia had with the rest, she sensed the warning go out and beyond--and currently, she was particularly one of the few who were able to intercept.

In the past decade, the naval force she had personally overseen became capable of crossing the seas; adding short-range teleporters was not the most difficult modification, but concealing it from enemy eyes was the major obstacle. Even trade ships bound for China were outfitted with these characteristics. All these she would use to try and forestall the danger lying in wait, and bring in any other Sindari needed to just ensure the Dragon Emperor survived the assault by a Cisharni hunter.

She needn't kill or otherwise, just to buy time.

Teleport-deployment to the Dragon Emperor's location, thanks to all that triangulation by Turangol and others' abilities in pinpointing where the danger is, and where in between the Emperor's quickest path would be.

Forestall his death!

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 14, 2018, 09:04:22 am »

Archaementes sneered. "Though I haven't killed someone before, at least with intention, perhaps now is the time to show these human soldiers why they shouldn't trifle with the gods."

Sudurandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 14, 2018, 01:03:16 pm »

Wavebringer looked at Archaementes in concern. "We are not gods, merely the agents of one. We must not forget that."
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 04:16:23 pm by Sudurandom »

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 14, 2018, 03:49:08 pm »

Archaementes sneered. "Though I haven't killed someone before, at least with intention, perhaps now is the time to show these human soldiers why they shouldn't trifle with the gods."

You're starting to sound REALLY like the Cisharni...
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22