Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I'll Pixelate your Generated Monsters  (Read 1895 times)

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
I'll Pixelate your Generated Monsters
« on: August 08, 2017, 04:07:09 pm »

I'm in the mood to draw right now, so send me a screenshot of the description of your FB, Titan, or other generated monster. I'll give it a shot and try to draw it using Gimp, my drawing program.

Just remember to use spoilers when covering the more spoilerific generated monsters. Anyone who has encountered these will likely know what I'm talking about.

Spoiler: The Gallery so far (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 02:20:16 pm by Derpy Dev »

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
Re: I'll Pixelate your Generated Monsters
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 08:13:47 pm »

Amazing! Let's begin with this one:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 08:31:02 pm »

Don't want to flood with requests, so ptw for now.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 08:52:19 pm »

Amazing! Let's begin with this one:

I'm trying to contemplate what a pterodactyl with mandibles would look like because one of their notable features are their beaks. Eh, I'm the one who signed up for this madness. I'll get to work on that right away!

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 02:19:13 pm »

While I'm not entirely pleased with how the mandibles came out and drawing reflective substances such as amber is annoying, here is an amber pterosaur flying above a cloud of deadly dust.

Guess that makes it your turn Overseer!

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 04:51:10 pm »

Didn't expect it to be done so fast. I'll upload one later
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 04:05:34 pm »

I dig this! Even though I would have enjoyed the dust to be pixelated as well. Are you limiting yourself to a certain amount of pixels for your canvas? Something like 256x128, or something along those lines. That would make for an interesting challenge, and you wouldn't suffer in terms of size.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 04:28:53 pm »

I dig this! Even though I would have enjoyed the dust to be pixelated as well. Are you limiting yourself to a certain amount of pixels for your canvas? Something like 256x128, or something along those lines. That would make for an interesting challenge, and you wouldn't suffer in terms of size.

What I did was draw a pterosaur (I think the dimensions were 40x80) then resized it to be ten times as big and added dust. I'm not really looking to challenge myself as much as I am practicing, cause as you can probably guess I am for the most part self taught when it comes to pixel art, though the paper sketches I sometimes do I learned from various drawing books.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 12:40:41 pm »

Do you mind if I post criticism?

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2017, 03:00:30 pm »

Do you mind if I post criticism?

Knock yourself out. I'm still learning how to draw with pixels, so I probably need it.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2017, 09:09:25 pm »

While I'm not entirely pleased with how the mandibles came out and drawing reflective substances such as amber is annoying, here is an amber pterosaur flying above a cloud of deadly dust.

First big no-no that you've committed here: there's never a reason to mix pixel sizes. You have this dino drawn at one resolution and the dust has been drawn at a higher one; don't do that anymore. Pick a canvas size and stick with it. If you need more space, make the canvas bigger instead of sizing up the image. Try to plan ahead and think of how much space you'll need to fit the idea.

You're not making the best use of colors that you could. I had to look closely to see that the dino was more than one shade of yellow, and most of the shades are so close to one another in saturation, hue, and brightness that they're indistinguishable. In pixel art you work with a small number of colors and each one has to mean something and add to the piece. Next time try going a little darker with your shadows and only add one color at a time. Don't just change saturation and brightness, try shifting the hue a tiny bit too when you're mixing new colors.

Positives:
The silhouette is good, a lot of beginners have a hard time getting perspective right and it seems like you did well in that area. It also looks like you worked off a reference for this so that's another plus. A lot of artists think it's cheating to use references but it's not.

I'm not really looking to challenge myself as much as I am practicing, cause as you can probably guess I am for the most part self taught when it comes to pixel art, though the paper sketches I sometimes do I learned from various drawing books.
If the practice isn't challenging you at the least to try something new, then you're not going to get much out of it. You don't improve just by doing things over and over, you have to practice with goals in mind.

---

Here are a bunch of tutorials I copied from the OP of my pixel art thread. I highly recommend you check out the Pixel Art Fundamentals link, reading that will help get you versed in the vocabulary and basic techniques involved in making pixel art:

Good luck, I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 04:53:27 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2017, 01:36:59 pm »

Thanks for the tips! I'll remember them!

And I did work off of a reference, or rather, a random pterodactyl picture I found on Google.