Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Dwarf fortress multiplayer  (Read 62688 times)

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf fortress multiplayer
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2017, 01:45:35 am »

SERVER IS UP!
News:
  • New coliseum map
  • North side and center spawning kobolds
  • I'll make a "dota-like" thing later maybe...

Edit:  the nightcreatures are imba as always :< killing me every time. Maybe i'll make it so you die when you leave your current body
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 04:57:37 am by Warmist »

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2017, 05:18:00 am »

I'm told it to my comrads from russian forums... Wahahaa)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2017, 10:23:31 am »

I'm told it to my comrads from russian forums... Wahahaa)

I bet I'm the only one other than you here who can read what they're talking about. But I got to sleep, no time for messing around.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2017, 11:53:53 am »

Russian became (un)offical language of this arena, i'm very sorry. But it's too funny, anyway. My character still live, and now he top-1 on server. Warmistr - pls say me how great his skills would be before restart of server.
And... probably you need to start patreon campaign for buying better computer for server(probably even not one), writing additional stuff and so on.

I add you about 500+ users then retell your post in russian DF community where I'm admin... I can add much more If your server is ready to all them.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2017, 10:24:06 am »

So i'm shutting down server again. Here's end scores:
  • NightHorro 1136
  • MaDMaX 404
  • Pennywise 295
  • Wereskink 12 236
  • MaDMaX 124
  • Bumber 78
  • BruteRock 74
  • Ogrotto 60
  • Dwarf 10 33
  • Heretic 31
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 10:56:20 am by Warmist »

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2017, 08:44:09 pm »

How can this go so unnoticed? This is bloody amazing.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2017, 02:14:10 am »

Okay so anyone has any good ideas for "game modes"? Hopefully something simple?

Thought about "monster hunters": you would manage a party of X people and hunt some monsters. Buying would happen for premade chars (for faster play) and players would be allies but would not share the money, thus you would race to hunt.

Also DOTA is possible. Though probably would be very unbalanced.
Maybe some sort of treasure hunters or just football (i.e. get thing, move it to some location?)

funkydwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2017, 04:48:50 pm »

Sometgi g like tge mordhien pen and paper game would be cool. Its like treasure hunting.
"Matches" with random wealth items laying around. Teams of 5 trying to get the most stopping others, using the looted wealth items to buy skill and gear upgrades.  May not be simple but...

If there was a server running and every 20-45 min a new map with fresh wealth objects camr up. People log in with their bands or even just single characters to collect treasure and/or kill people and take what they have collected this round. Might be tough to stop people from logging in, grabbing a some treasure and logging out so maybe when you log in, your character stays there till the end of the round and if you disconnect  you just stay there waiting to be killed with a simple reaction script to fight back if attacked. Maybe you can't log in the last 5-10 minutes as well.

Uh, sounds complex.

Could you just have a small world and let people adventure mode around be it if you had a full time multicore bare metal server with good uplink?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 30, 2017, 05:57:37 pm »

Monster hunters sounds pretty fantastic.

Get one big bad, 4 people to fight it, and multiple smaller creatures along the way.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 01, 2017, 01:33:53 am »

is it possible to say do a bar performer mode where players try to rack in approval points from the crowd by performing?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 01, 2017, 05:40:33 am »

is it possible to say do a bar performer mode where players try to rack in approval points from the crowd by performing?
Close to impossible. I.e. would need a LOT of work.

Edit: i think i'll make a mixed mode: treasure and monster hunting. Lower levels will have harder monsters and there will be "boss" in some level. Also it will have some loot around. However the party mechanics will probably take some time (lot of gui work...)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 07:52:37 am by Warmist »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 01, 2017, 05:14:57 pm »

Would it be possible to improve the combat system? Currently it just uses the default AI, but maybe in the future you could hack their targeting to make them use certain attacks?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 01, 2017, 09:41:40 pm »

Would it be possible to improve the combat system? Currently it just uses the default AI, but maybe in the future you could hack their targeting to make them use certain attacks?

Yes, absolutely

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 02, 2017, 10:22:42 am »

Yes, absolutely

I've done some research on that. There are three main problems - one idealogical, the other two implementational:
  • Idealogical: You need to slow down the game if you have more choices. When you have default AI it does not matter how many fps it has. If you are selecting targets they might be dead/moved by the time you finish. Too slow would annoy when there is nothing to do or you are moving long distances etc... You can't select speed for you because you can be not the only player, also you can't wait for input for the same reason. Although the last one could be solved (if only somewhat) by having "continuous turns" i.e. you pause the game for e.g. 1 sec for each player to make choices
  • First implementational: don't know how to turn off default AI. Even if you somehow force unit to do something, ai might take over and do something else. I've tried to make "FORCE MOVE" where it would ignore enemies and try to go to the target location but haven't found any way to do so.
  • Second implementational: i've found how to do some more crazy stuff: hitting by targeting body parts, jumping, etc... But they are not limited by anything. E.g. you can hit hidden body parts, jump impossibly far, etc... This means that I would need to reimplement all the checking logic (which is tons of work, and i hate work). Btw this is by using "unit.actions"

So yeah, if anyone has any ideas how to better do it, please tell :)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 03, 2017, 03:57:41 pm »

I was thinking you'd just have a setting where you'd select an attack type and body part and the player would prefer to use that whenever possible. Targeting would just switch out which enemy the AI thinks it's fighting, from a list of visible units.

The implementational issues hamper those ideas somewhat. Could you disable the AI by putting everyone on the same team, or will they defend themselves?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9