Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Dwarf fortress multiplayer  (Read 61860 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf fortress multiplayer
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2017, 11:14:10 pm »

I keep spawning as an aardvark.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2017, 01:14:10 am »

Sorry. Fixed :)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2017, 02:06:54 am »

Maybe add an aardvark race just to commemorate this bug.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2017, 04:31:25 am »

Maybe add an aardvark race just to commemorate this bug.
Heh. Done.

In other news: added numpad controls. Somewhat wonky and ramps works even stranger than before but seems to work...

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2017, 05:48:25 am »

Hmm. I can't attack dwarves as a night creature for some reason.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2017, 06:18:33 am »

Hmm. I can't attack dwarves as a night creature for some reason.
Ah... the conflict level was set to brawl. So that explains the fight strangeness.

Severedicks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2017, 07:40:41 am »

I'm sorry to be that person, but what exactly is this? What are we supposed to do and how did you come to make something like this?

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2017, 08:22:15 am »

It allows you to control a creature in a game running on warmist's machine. There's not much to it besides what you can see if you open it (although it isn't always up). I'm not sure what the second part of your question is supposed to mean - warmist felt like making this because it was an interesting project, similar to other utilities.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Severedicks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2017, 08:58:26 am »

What I meant is how did he accomplish that? For the better part of a decade people have been posting suggestions to make the game multiplayer, only to be rebutted with replies on the lines of 'it's impossible', 'games have to be built from the ground up for this to work', 'it would require years of work and rewriting', and so on. So to say I'm surprised that someone just shows up and drops a couple scripts that make it possible is an understatement. Actually I'm even more astonished by the lack of surprise from the community, as if it were as mundane an accomplishment as editing the init files. Given how long the topic has been discussed, you'd expect dozens of people to show up and crash the server in amazement and the thread itself to be flooded, but current response is being rather lukewarm.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2017, 09:18:42 am »

What I meant is how did he accomplish that? For the better part of a decade people have been posting suggestions to make the game multiplayer, only to be rebutted with replies on the lines of 'it's impossible', 'games have to be built from the ground up for this to work', 'it would require years of work and rewriting', and so on. So to say I'm surprised that someone just shows up and drops a couple scripts that make it possible is an understatement. Actually I'm even more astonished by the lack of surprise from the community, as if it were as mundane an accomplishment as editing the init files. Given how long the topic has been discussed, you'd expect dozens of people to show up and crash the server in amazement and the thread itself to be flooded, but current response is being rather lukewarm.
Hehehehe....

It's not that i've "just shows up and drops a couple scripts". This took me a LOOONG time. Mostly hacking and kicking code around. Biggest change was mifki's code which uses render_map function. I've just made it so you could use it from lua. The rest of stuff is cobbled together http server (which is actually not very sane thing to do...)

As for reception: yeah i expected more of fights and disbelief. My guesses are that:
  • not a lot of people come to this part of forum (or forums in general)
  • Those who try are discouraged by lack of features and/or bugs
  • Currently not a lot people are playing DF as it's in "NEAR RELEASE" state
  • other....

Severedicks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2017, 09:32:19 am »

Of course I understand it took you a long time, it's just the casual way the whole thing sounded like me:
Warmist: "Oh by the way, I just made this thing that lets you do something that's been asked for 11 years, thought you could use it"
Community: "Meh"

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2017, 09:37:04 am »

Of course I understand it took you a long time, it's just the casual way the whole thing sounded like me:
Warmist: "Oh by the way, I just made this thing that lets you do something that's been asked for 11 years, thought you could use it"
Community: "Meh"
:D

In other news: added highscore in welcome screen.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2017, 05:32:11 pm »

As for reception: yeah i expected more of fights and disbelief. My guesses are that:
  • not a lot of people come to this part of forum (or forums in general)
  • Those who try are discouraged by lack of features and/or bugs
  • Currently not a lot people are playing DF as it's in "NEAR RELEASE" state
  • other....

in my case it was literally a "huh, warmist did it before i did" situation

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2017, 06:04:12 pm »

It may just be that a lot of people started playing dwarf fortress because they wanted to play a single player game. You know, by themselves. Not that surprising that a multiplayer thing is looked at as a mild curiosity not worth commenting on.

Also playing a single creature in someone else's game is perhaps not what 'the community' meant when they were demanding multiplayer dwarf fortress (no idea what they may have meant actually).

Seems like a pretty cool project to me, anyhow.

Severedicks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2017, 06:24:48 pm »

These days the suggestion police is in full force, but I remember scores and scores of people asking for a multiplayer implementation of some sort along the years, with an equal number of 'seasoned' forum members telling them off for posting such a rehashed suggestion over and over again. A simple search for 'multiplayer' in the suggestion forum will probably yield hundreds of results. It's probably in the top 5 of the most prominent suggestions of all time (along with open sourcing, multithreading, full graphics support and UI overhaul). Even the dfterm2 thread has 50 pages or so, and it's only a sort of hotseat.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9