Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Dwarf fortress multiplayer  (Read 61866 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf fortress multiplayer
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2017, 06:49:54 pm »

Weren't people mostly asking for a way to play fortress mode with multiple players (along with another set of folk asking for better ways to share fortresses)? This seems to be neither (but realistically it's probably the best way to enjoy dwarf fortress multiplayer).

Severedicks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2017, 07:40:14 pm »

People were asking for any way to share a fortress with other folks, even just hotseating. See the dfterm2 thread. Everyone was so excited at the time, people were setting up servers left and right. I guess it's sort of died down now.

I think we have been all coddled by the dfhack team and script makers. The game now has a myriad of bugfixes, performance tweaks, UI improvements, automation (hell, there's even a script that plays the game for you) and various magic that lets you tinker with every aspect of it. You can play with an isometric overlay thanks to stonesense. You can visualize your fortress in 3D graphics with Armok Vision or you can play in a sort of FPS mode with your adventurer. You can play the game on the web or on your iPhone. So it would makes sense that a sort of multiplayerish doesn't raise that many eyebrows, I guess. The amount of work that was poured into all this while not having access to the source code is simply too ridiculous and we should be grateful that folks like lethosor, warmist et al. don't decide to suddenly retire from programming and become fishermen in Alaska or something.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2017, 08:31:32 pm »

With a better computer, Warmist could do this in an actual pocket world and not in the arena. That would be cool with more players.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2017, 11:19:51 pm »

Weren't people mostly asking for a way to play fortress mode with multiple players (along with another set of folk asking for better ways to share fortresses)? This seems to be neither (but realistically it's probably the best way to enjoy dwarf fortress multiplayer).
Well this was the easiest way to do it. If somebody comes along and reimplements all the screens then you could control fort just like in normal DF

With a better computer, Warmist could do this in an actual pocket world and not in the arena. That would be cool with more players.
Actually my computer is almost top of the line :P
I've experimented a bit with adventure mode and fort mode.
In adventure mode the issue is that view is hidden because of only stuff in player viewcone is shown.
In fort mode there is even less to do. Ofcourse you could control one of existing dwarves and I have a plan for it. Not sure how much !!FUN!! that would be...

General problems in all the modes: there is no known way to precisely control a unit. You could do it by making your own unit.actions but you would need to fill them out correctly (though using jump to explode at walls is fun). So this need research. Also showing equiped items and then changing them is a lot of work (though not very hard IIRC) so that might come next.

I think currently the problem is that there is not much to do. I'll try to make Co-op siege defence happen. Maybe even more strategic (i.e. you could just buy/place units at the start).

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2017, 11:23:19 pm »

Could always just have the given unit be customizable (name, job) and have their labors or maybe even squads set for fort mode.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2017, 11:28:20 pm »

Could always just have the given unit be customizable (name, job) and have their labors or maybe even squads set for fort mode.
Yeah my old version had: name, labors (i.e. what jobs you could do) and assign and remove from burrows. This allowed was more for the way people play where they name their dwarf in community fort.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2017, 12:58:34 am »

What about running a fort mode fort then allowing pleyers to take control of a dorf, do jobs, fight, etc? Just make sure they don't go on a killing spree and cause a loyalty cascade.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2017, 01:15:13 am »

What about running a fort mode fort then allowing pleyers to take control of a dorf, do jobs, fight, etc? Just make sure they don't go on a killing spree and cause a loyalty cascade.
That is in the plans. I was thinking of two choices (for server): either let dwarf "start" jobs on their own (more work for me though). That way you could go to a workshop (or construct your own) and make yourself a battleaxe. Or just allow working on available jobs. Maybe suspended too (less work for me). This way would better integrate with vanilla job management.

I think i'll post approximate roadmap in the first post.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2017, 07:47:17 am »

That is in the plans. I was thinking of two choices (for server): either let dwarf "start" jobs on their own (more work for me though). That way you could go to a workshop (or construct your own) and make yourself a battleaxe. Or just allow working on available jobs. Maybe suspended too (less work for me). This way would better integrate with vanilla job management.

I think i'll post approximate roadmap in the first post.

If this happens, this will be the game's first true community game.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2017, 01:19:12 pm »

Added working economy: kills give you 5 money!
Added spectator mode: now you can view stuff without logging in.

Final change for the day: added enemies - there will always be 515 (allied together) kobold on the map mostly should be in the fort in lower right corner.
Happy hunting :)

Also if somebody knows any good arena maps please share :)

A day of carnage- around 1000 kobolds have died:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 10:46:18 am by Warmist »

MrLurkety

• Bay Watcher
  • Bogeymen are tasty. So am I, to the bogeymen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2017, 07:38:45 pm »

First impression: Wow, there are kobold corpses all over.
Oh, that's why.
Oh, wow! Just got my first kill, after dying so much!
Bay12 Evo game
-snip-
I'm not an expert on the political climate but I'm pretty sure that politicians don't join armies and invade dwarven fortresses.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2017, 02:26:28 am »

Added item equiping and hauling.

Can somebody make a better arena? Like with few buildings and some magma but without these random corridors and unreachable places?

Edit: oh and chat added.

MrLurkety

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2017, 08:45:13 am »

Could you please make it so that you KNOW what you pick up? Currently, you just hope it's a weapon, not a bolt or something.
Bay12 Evo game
-snip-
I'm not an expert on the political climate but I'm pretty sure that politicians don't join armies and invade dwarven fortresses.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2017, 01:20:19 pm »

Could you please make it so that you KNOW what you pick up? Currently, you just hope it's a weapon, not a bolt or something.

Or kobolt :D (which your unit equips as a weapon btw).
Sure. Soon (tm)...

MrLurkety

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2017, 04:28:03 pm »

Or kobolt :D (which your unit equips as a weapon btw).
Sure. Soon (tm)...
Hey! You have infringed the rightful intellectual property of "Toady One" (Tarn Adams), by repeating a phrase "Toady" owns without any credit!
Bay12 Evo game
-snip-
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9