Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Dwarf fortress multiplayer  (Read 61852 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf fortress multiplayer
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2017, 09:36:40 pm »

So, I have an idea for fort mode. The players can control any dwarf, otherwise they're controlled by df-ai (google it up), or someone with the admin permission (Warmist and I, maybe?), You can dig as a dwarf, do jobs, and arena-style fight. Trading is done by any dorf. Add a minimap of the fort so we don't get lost.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 09:38:18 pm by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2017, 03:20:08 am »

So, I have an idea for fort mode. The players can control any dwarf, otherwise they're controlled by df-ai (google it up), or someone with the admin permission (Warmist and I, maybe?), You can dig as a dwarf, do jobs, and arena-style fight. Trading is done by any dorf. Add a minimap of the fort so we don't get lost.

What do you think?

That is the plan. However we're still quite far from it. Currently missing stuff for that:
  • Jobs: advfort has a lot (most) of them. I just need to tidy it up and implement MOAR jobs. This also has an issue of client GUI which I suck at :P
  • How to disable normal ai: we wouldn't like if your dwarf suddenly goes somewhere for some strange reason. On the other hand we would like it to return to normal ai when not controlled
  • Tidy up: currently server is big and tangled. I would like to split it into more managable pieces
  • Minimap: probably somehow extract the one df has
  • Pausing: when df-ai or player is doing stuff df will pause. This will look like server is lagging. Either work around it (i.e. by having another viewscreen that does the turns (very crazy)) or indicate (again GUI) to the clients that the game is paused
  • GameDesign: i would like for players to have something to "play". I.e. even if the fort is going along nicely and is boringish (safe, well fed, etc...) i would like that there was something to do. Maybe some sort of arena (as you said) or games or dunno... Maybe just display skills and then each level up is your reward
  • Metagame: well not sure how to call this one... It's just that when you play as a dwarf in the fort you don't know what is happening globaly in the fort. E.g. if invasion is happening. If somebody has a strange mood.
  • Development: i did some of this already. Currently the game is running on same instance as i'm editing it. So sometimes you could login and see strange stuff... That is not ideal

Whew...

Could you please make it so that you KNOW what you pick up? Currently, you just hope it's a weapon, not a bolt or something.

Or kobolt :D (which your unit equips as a weapon btw).
Sure. Soon (tm)...
Hey! You have infringed the rightful intellectual property of "Toady One" (Tarn Adams), by repeating a phrase "Toady" owns without any credit!
Also used by Valve and HalfLife3 :P

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2017, 05:25:03 am »

Well, this is nice topic. You've been working on this and precursors to this for years, I think...

On minimap, maybe use 1x1 tileset? ex like this abandoned one. Looks better than the in-game minimap, I think.

With next version, I expect there's more interest in multiple concurrent forts in the same world as well. (Pausing, tho...You've handled it not bad, at least. And making self-sustainable fort is not something that requires lot of resources, thankfully. Maybe a well and one locked in (were/vampire) dwarf farmer who drops down plump helmets through a hatch.)

On screens, you probably know - if not wrote - gui/dwarfmode, but worth mentioning for others as an example. Multiple screens was something that the dfterm ideas lacked; I've played with multiple players sending inputs to 1 df but only 1 screen still, and it still means taking turn for all but painting designations with the mouse.

If you're sticking to single controlled dwarf and have to make controls anyway perhaps hook it to Armok Vision (on client's computer). Would also allow server to run without having rendering take up cpu space, leaving more fps for multiple players.

It'd be kinda like 3D MORPG at that point.

(Easy to say, hard to implement.)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 05:27:59 am by Fleeting Frames »

MrLurkety

• Bay Watcher
  • Bogeymen are tasty. So am I, to the bogeymen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2017, 11:26:09 am »

Quote from: Warmist
Could you please make it so that you KNOW what you pick up? Currently, you just hope it's a weapon, not a bolt or something.

Or kobolt :D (which your unit equips as a weapon btw).
Sure. Soon (tm)...
Hey! You have infringed the rightful intellectual property of "Toady One" (Tarn Adams), by repeating a phrase "Toady" owns without any credit!
Also used by Valve and HalfLife3 :P
Valves copyright has ran out. They didn't bother to renew it, so Toady snapped it up.
Bay12 Evo game
-snip-
I'm not an expert on the political climate but I'm pretty sure that politicians don't join armies and invade dwarven fortresses.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2017, 11:42:45 pm »

With next version, I expect there's more interest in multiple concurrent forts in the same world as well.
I think it would have to wait until alternate dimensions are implemented. We can't have multiple areas loaded simultaneously yet.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2017, 05:14:18 am »

Whew...
Finally done a big rewrite. Now the server is way more modular. It's not as simple as i would like it to be, but for now it will do.
You will be able to mix and match (and modify html files a bit) the modules to have your own experience of the server. E.g. if you wish to run community fort with only spectators - use spectator plug and nothing else. If you wish to have arena with item buying - use economy plug. Etc...

Hopefully this will make development easier in the long term. However the way plugins work will probably change, because how there is no (easy) way to access plugin data (i.e. it's configuration - like the size of map area the map plugin gives to the client)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2017, 08:10:18 pm »

Exhaustion seems to be the number one cause of death. The second you regain consciousness, you fall right back under again trying to avoid the enemy's attack. Worse when you're surrounded by multiple respawning kobolds. (Werebeast handles them easily, however, due to no exhaustion.)

Maybe you could add spawn points for unique single enemies in a few locations? It's really difficult once all the kobolds end up clustered.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 01:02:28 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2017, 05:14:16 am »

Exhaustion seems to be the number one cause of death. The second you regain consciousness, you fall right back under again trying to avoid the enemy's attack. Worse when you're surrounded by multiple respawning kobolds. (Werebeast handles them easily, however, due to no exhaustion.)

Maybe you could add spawn points for unique single enemies in a few locations? It's really difficult once all the kobolds end up clustered.
I was thinking of making DOTA with two teams and a dragon as the "castle". However to be fun it needs more players to actually play.

But anyway i need new arena.

vvAve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2017, 03:54:23 pm »

Is http://dwarffort.duckdns.org/ working? I keep getting "Site can't be reached", though it did work for me a couple days before.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2017, 04:36:11 pm »

It redirects to warmist's own computer, so it won't always be working.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2017, 12:16:32 am »

Is it currently always offline??

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2017, 12:59:33 am »

Is it currently always offline??

Warmist is still kinda active, so feel free to message him about it.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2017, 06:01:17 pm »

I expect that this is not getting attention because people are assuming this is yet another "Hey when is multiplayer coming" thread.

Add something like -WORKING MULTIPLAYER- or some such to the title and watch the activity roll in.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2017, 06:08:18 pm »

Or just go for a full out clickbait title.

YOU WON'T BELIEVE HOW THIS DF MULTIPLAYER GAME WENT!!?

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2017, 06:15:28 pm »

..It's real.

It's real.

Blighted soul of Voryn Dagoth, it's REAL.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9