Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Dwarf fortress multiplayer  (Read 61865 times)

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf fortress multiplayer
« Reply #105 on: January 07, 2018, 04:20:43 am »

* Warmist is inspired by FREAKING 400 YEAR FORT *

Server on-line... Thinking how to make a 400 year multiplayer fort :D Might need to think of a way to have more indirect control because fort fps would be low.
Arena mode for now (just new version check).

Edit:
  • Added saving for unit creation. Uses localstorage. Double click on the name to show saved names (not sure why it works like that on firefox?)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 06:17:19 am by Warmist »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 07, 2018, 08:07:07 am »

It's alive.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 07, 2018, 09:32:29 am »

Ah... sad: current dfhack has some bugs, one of them makes it so i can't track kills thus no money -.-

Edit: Started server on old df with old dfhack. No difference for this part of multiplayer... Fort mode might be more interesting with new version (e.g. if i somehow allow players to do their own raids?)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 02:19:36 pm by Warmist »

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2018, 12:38:46 pm »

What I meant is how did he accomplish that? For the better part of a decade people have been posting suggestions to make the game multiplayer, only to be rebutted with replies on the lines of 'it's impossible', 'games have to be built from the ground up for this to work', 'it would require years of work and rewriting', and so on. So to say I'm surprised that someone just shows up and drops a couple scripts that make it possible is an understatement. Actually I'm even more astonished by the lack of surprise from the community, as if it were as mundane an accomplishment as editing the init files. Given how long the topic has been discussed, you'd expect dozens of people to show up and crash the server in amazement and the thread itself to be flooded, but current response is being rather lukewarm.
Hehehehe....

It's not that i've "just shows up and drops a couple scripts". This took me a LOOONG time. Mostly hacking and kicking code around. Biggest change was mifki's code which uses render_map function. I've just made it so you could use it from lua. The rest of stuff is cobbled together http server (which is actually not very sane thing to do...)

As for reception: yeah i expected more of fights and disbelief. My guesses are that:
  • not a lot of people come to this part of forum (or forums in general)
  • Those who try are discouraged by lack of features and/or bugs
  • Currently not a lot people are playing DF as it's in "NEAR RELEASE" state
  • other....
you can add "many just /dl the LNP and play without ever reading a thing on the forums" to the list.
also many mod their game to their liking - making it incompatible for anything multiplayer.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 10, 2018, 07:39:13 pm »

Ah... sad: current dfhack has some bugs, one of them makes it so i can't track kills thus no money -.-
What specifically is the issue? Is it something that hasn't been fixed on the develop branch?

DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 11, 2018, 01:50:09 am »

What specifically is the issue? Is it something that hasn't been fixed on the develop branch?
https://github.com/DFHack/df-structures/issues/234

assasinwar9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 07, 2018, 11:55:20 am »

alright so i don't have even a tiny idea of what im doing.... but how would i go about hosting this or using this?

if you don't want me hosting or using it then just let me know lol, as i said i don't know what im doing atm when it comes to all this code etc.... and ill delete the fork if you want lol. kinda made it on accident since i don't use github at all yet >.<
immortal is never dieing so that sucks lol

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 08, 2018, 07:53:53 am »

alright so i don't have even a tiny idea of what im doing.... but how would i go about hosting this or using this?

if you don't want me hosting or using it then just let me know lol, as i said i don't know what im doing atm when it comes to all this code etc.... and ill delete the fork if you want lol. kinda made it on accident since i don't use github at all yet >.<

So everything is open-source and available for other people to host and use. However i've been quite lazy and haven't made it easy to use for non-programmers - sorry!

I'll try to compile a new plugin version (or some workaround) and update first post with instructions on how to install/use/configure.

assasinwar9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 09, 2018, 07:18:42 am »

thanks man, i appreciate it a lot :)

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 12, 2018, 08:21:37 am »

thanks man, i appreciate it a lot :)
Okay done. First post updated with instructions.

assasinwar9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 13, 2018, 03:32:57 pm »

hmmm, how hard would it be to save a players gold inbetween hostings, so for instance if i host and then shut the game down, when i host again the player's account and money seems to delete itself or something?

i have a feeling it maybe is a simple fix? and if needed i might be able to do it myself?

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 14, 2018, 02:22:26 am »

hmmm, how hard would it be to save a players gold inbetween hostings, so for instance if i host and then shut the game down, when i host again the player's account and money seems to delete itself or something?

i have a feeling it maybe is a simple fix? and if needed i might be able to do it myself?

Huh... It should save. If you shutdown server with "http/server2 -s" it should create "user_db.dat" with username, password, money and unit id

youngbab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 15, 2018, 12:33:49 am »

PTW. Looks rad.

assasinwar9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 16, 2018, 08:23:34 pm »

i can confirm that shutting down the server with the  "http/server2 -s"  command indeed saves the needed stuff :) thanks again

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 17, 2018, 02:07:41 am »

i can confirm that shutting down the server with the  "http/server2 -s"  command indeed saves the needed stuff :) thanks again
Yeah probably some auto-save is needed to be done periodically so we dont crash too much and many random small stuff for easier mods for hosters.

Also if you wish i could add link to your (and other people) server in top.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9