Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: weak races and frailty  (Read 1054 times)

Pumble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
weak races and frailty
« on: August 09, 2017, 05:26:13 pm »

Hey guys!

I want to make a new race (based off the dwarf and goblin raws) that is quite a bit weaker physically than said creatures. I was wondering what the beast ways are to do this.
I know about changing their size (the whole 50000 size thing and whatnot) and have also reduced their strength scores. But I was wondering, how much of an effect does this really have? And what are the best ways to make a weaker, frail species?

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: weak races and frailty
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 06:48:40 pm »

Smaller quickly makes things less powerful. Strength etc. don't affect durability that much, but will make their attacks noticeably weaker.
If you really wanted to gimp them, [GENERAL_MATERIAL_FORCE_MULTIPLIER:2:1] will double the force of any attack that hits them.
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

Pumble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 08:18:34 am »

An interesting idea, thank you.

Does anyone have an idea of the amount of difference there is between the sizes, in some kind of measurable terms? For instance, how much weaker would a 50000 creature be compared to a 60000 creature?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 01:15:40 pm »

It's not that simple.  Size changes the size of all body parts and the thickness of all tissue layers.  The force of blunt attacks is mostly based on weight so that should scale linearly, but defense will be changed according to the square-cube law, and the absolute depth of edged attacks will be changed as well.  I generally just make a guess based on how I picture them, then throw them into the arena and judge by results.

By the way, toughness is the main defense stat.  You can just give them below-average toughness and then you don't have to worry about sizes or force multipliers.

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 06:02:53 pm »

It's not that simple.  Size changes the size of all body parts and the thickness of all tissue layers.  The force of blunt attacks is mostly based on weight so that should scale linearly, but defense will be changed according to the square-cube law, and the absolute depth of edged attacks will be changed as well.  I generally just make a guess based on how I picture them, then throw them into the arena and judge by results.

By the way, toughness is the main defense stat.  You can just give them below-average toughness and then you don't have to worry about sizes or force multipliers.
Toughness isn't really going to affect their overall durability that much, unless you really crank the stat. It depends what kind of frail you want really, like collapse bone with punches or a bit easier to bruise
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 06:16:39 pm »

Giving them bones made out of a weaker material seems like the best, albeit most drastic, way.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 05:23:01 pm »

Hey guys!

I want to make a new race (based off the dwarf and goblin raws) that is quite a bit weaker physically than said creatures. I was wondering what the beast ways are to do this.
I know about changing their size (the whole 50000 size thing and whatnot) and have also reduced their strength scores. But I was wondering, how much of an effect does this really have? And what are the best ways to make a weaker, frail species?

Tell me about these creatures. I am curious.

Pumble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 05:28:50 am »

Essentially, they use goblin language and gear, and their gods are of a darker nature (deformity, death, darkness and such) but they themselves are not evil. I thought it would be interesting to have a race that isn't actually evil, but racially they are consciously pre-disposed to dwelling on the darker things. It is interesting to see them worshipping dark gods, but still living with families and generally being not crazy or murderous.
My chief reason for wanting them to be weaker than dorfs, goblins and such is I want them to be rarer than those species, even perhaps bordering on extinction. I don't want them to become the chief playable race, overtaking dorfs. I want them to be interesting side-race to play, but sort of surviving the world rather than dominating it.