Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The king has laid a series of oppressive edicts on his kingdom.  (Read 1095 times)

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

While browsing through the legends of a newly generated world, I found an entry where a vampire king (who I am going to kill later for the laughs) has "laid a series of oppressive edicts" on his kingdom. What does that mean? As a non-native English speaker, I have no idea what an "oppressive edict" even is; if I did, I would probably have been able to infer what it means in DF.

If anyone wants to download the world, I can upload it in about an hour - I'm in the road right now, and my laptop battery is dead.

Edit: Fixed a word.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 02:13:06 pm by latias1290 »
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The king has laid a series of oppressive edicts on his kingdom.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 01:01:20 pm »

An edict is a command or demand. Generally backed by law, rather than sheer force of personality or by strength, though those might be the reasons why the authority of law lies in the hands of the 'edicter'.

Oppressiveness, in this sense can just be linguistic flavour (the author considers the demands unreasonable), and there's a compulsion to all edicts. One imagines that no edict is ever really made to justify willing and spontaneous gifts and actions already given by the ruler's populous.

Though I suppose "the king must always have a glass of milk at night" is a less oppressive edict than "the king must always bathe in a virgin's tears".  Assume that, in your case, unreasonable 'requests' have been made; almost certainly with penalties for failure to deliver the result. i.e. your typical Noble Mandate.

(I don't know how Legends quantifies mandate demands. It might just present, in Legends, any mandate as an Oppressive Edict, or it might take as a cue whether (or how likely) the randomised mandate request can be serviced with the randomised availability of materials or skills to fulfill them.)

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 02:11:54 pm »

This is something that only vampire rulers do. As far as I know it prevents these vampire rulers from being forced out of office or killed in vampire purges--so when these "oppressive edicts" are passed you can expect the vamp to rule for centuries (if your history runs that long). I don't think it has any other effects, though, and I'm pretty sure it only happens in world-gen, never afterwards.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 02:10:46 am »

Given that it's a vampire ruler making the edicts, I'd imagine he's forcing the people to let him drink them.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 04:52:40 am »

Don't demon rulers do it too?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 08:02:08 pm »

Perhaps the vampire king has ordered that his next meal drink copious amounts of foul smelling alcohol beforehand. No doubt that he's a dwarf.