Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making Visitors system less cheaty...  (Read 1447 times)

Nilsou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making Visitors system less cheaty...
« on: August 10, 2017, 10:00:24 pm »

Soooo ...
A little story of my fortress ... i was tring to play a very hard game by limitating certain parameters. And well, all was going well buuuuuuuuuuut .... one thing is still making the game very easy.

In fact, if you build Temples/Tavern etc... it may appears that a LOT of visitors come to your fortress, even with only 10 dwarves and only few law quality rooms, no artifact etc...
And this visitors frequently want to stays in your dark ugly dungeon for no reasons ...
I don't understand truely why in certain case the number of visitor is reasonable and in other case it's a deluge of visitor... but it seems to be related somehow to the proximity of numerous civilization.

The result is that it is very easy, too easy, to make visitors mercenery elite squad ... I am in my second years and i have my elite squad of full steel armored melee weapon multi-racial guys waaaayyy before having strike down the tiniest quantity of copper ...

I think this could be a huge hole in the gameplay in the future and that this should be nerf one way or another. I guess the best nerf way for that is to rework the "rumor spreading" system that seems to make people come to the fortress by taking into account more of the value of the fortress, of the room that precedent visitors have seen etc ... It should not be logical to have visitors coming to each 200 tick for an ugly little tavern with no music, no performer, no tavern keeper in a fortress with a single meeting hall containing a single well ...

Although, it could be fine too to have cultural preference that make attraction of mercenry from culture we are in war to more difficult than peacefull culture. 
To conclude, i imagine that this could be nerf in a lot of other ways, so if anyone have ideas, this topic could serve the purpose of keeping it together :p

(sorry for my bad english :p )
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 10:02:58 pm by Nilsou »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making Visitors system less cheaty...
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 10:04:46 pm »

Starting Scenarios arc will hopefully sort all that out. People will need a reason to visit. Then Economy will make it harder still as you'll need to pay the mercs somehow.

Ggobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 12:45:01 pm »

In my experience of game-play a lot depends on whats going on in surrounding regions. If there's a large population near my fortress I get a lot of visitors, but if I'm on the other side of a large mountain range I don't get many.
Just popping in to say that if DF has taught me anything, it's that everything is doomed.

Nilsou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 08:45:07 pm »

Yeah it seems to be the case.
I just got an ENTIRE population of a specific races in my fortress, and a law-giver of them just being appointed... i am rejecting demand now ... it's ... hum ... boring a little :p

It's pretty annoying that we can't reject visitors that just say hi, drink your wine and go ... I guess it could be better with the dwarves economic system. But i am suspicious about the ability to work well to this system if its the same base as the previous system with economy inside the fortress (as dwarves are more like communist-ant community it is really difficult to imagine an economic system INSIDE the fortress that is not purely artificial ... It should imply, to be natural, that dwarves do some work for their own, with their own material that their gather for themselves etc... ... and i'm not convinced by the ability of Toady to make that behaviour WITHOUT destroying the fortress, the ressources for player project etc ... ) ...

Well, wait and see ..

Dragonunion

• Bay Watcher
  • ... challenging the monsters of the depths
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 06:50:59 am »

I just got an ENTIRE population of a specific races in my fortress, and a law-giver of them just being appointed... i am rejecting demand now ... it's ... hum ... boring a little :p
Wow, how many visitors are in your entire fort? And how does this Looks?

Mayor post: The usage of visitors is not much. That should be changed too.
Actuelly they come to your fort, drink something and do some poetry which gives your dwarfs happy thoughts and satisfy their Needs.
Some ideas:
-visitors can bring rumors and News like attacks, conquest or moving beasts
-visitors could be mercenaries who come to help you against goblins or beasts, but want to get paid(economy-system?)
-What you've said: they come with better reasons.
-escaped inhabitants and People from destroyed sites who survived attackes from armies or megabeasts
-Dwarfs get visited by other dwarfs of their Family or friends. Dwarfs often get a bad thought without their Family(or friends).
So this would be more realistic.
-visitors come for Special Things like prisoned megabeasts or want to see the architectur of your fort(to learn about architecture?)
I think the last Point would be really hard to realise. But ist an idea.
The old apple revels in its authority.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 08:19:06 am »

- The listening to a particularly good story can lead to engravings about it.

Nilsou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 05:49:08 am »

Wow, how many visitors are in your entire fort? And how does this Looks?
My fort is dead right now but i had 50 to 80 visitors at one point for only 25 dwarves :p
I used them in sacrificial mercenary squad, mostly. Note that this did not prevent my fort for being eated by this three eyes giant alligator :p

Dragonunion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 09:32:49 am »

My fort is dead right now but i had 50 to 80 visitors at one point for only 25 dwarves :p
I used them in sacrificial mercenary squad, mostly. Note that this did not prevent my fort for being eated by this three eyes giant alligator :p
Imagine currently how a three-eyed Alligator kills an entire fort :D
Think there was really much fun. :D

Nilsou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 10:45:45 am »

In fact it appears to be a very FAT alligator because the thousand bolt it takes have been "tearing" or "bruising" its fat. I have not checked, but may be it was made of fat :p

Dragonunion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2017, 03:49:07 am »

In fact it appears to be a very FAT alligator because the thousand bolt it takes have been "tearing" or "bruising" its fat. I have not checked, but may be it was made of fat :p
Sounds like a really Long and good battle. :D

Nilsou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2017, 01:53:20 pm »

Yes, too long in fact, it was a building destroyer 2 but VERY inneficient so it takes very long time to destroy my entrance...
And it was "distracted" a lot...
It also kills a lot of caravan etc... well, it take time ...

The sad point is that at some point 2 other megabeast come and fight with him, and manage to kill each other AND the aligator.But i lose my save (crash) and when i reencounter these two it was two other megabeast (as it seems to be generated randomly ...) which didn't manage to kill him...

And so i losed ^^

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2017, 06:33:59 pm »

If you want them to be a problem Definitely embark in an Thralling/raising evil biome, near a tower. Those bastards just reinforce the zombie legions at my door.

Dragonunion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2017, 09:54:32 am »

Yes, too long in fact, it was a building destroyer 2 but VERY inneficient so it takes very long time to destroy my entrance...
And it was "distracted" a lot...
It also kills a lot of caravan etc... well, it take time ...

The sad point is that at some point 2 other megabeast come and fight with him, and manage to kill each other AND the aligator.But i lose my save (crash) and when i reencounter these two it was two other megabeast (as it seems to be generated randomly ...) which didn't manage to kill him...

And so i losed ^^
What the Trader thought? Three megabeasts fight each other at the entrance of a fort.
The winner got delicious dwarfs, Traders and a house :D
Amazing cinema :)