Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clan Fortress Idea?  (Read 805 times)

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Clan Fortress Idea?
« on: February 26, 2020, 12:46:50 pm »

So, an idea has popped into my head for a potentially fun way to play a succession fort.

Clans.

The idea is that One player (The First Player.) Plays the Nobility. They are permitted to build anywhere, but after the first year are not permitted to Harvest their own materials or craft their own crafts. Their primary role is to manage the Military and Justice system, while acting as an Arbiter in inter clan disputes. Starting off, this would include only the Expedition Leader.

From there, the remaining dwarves are divided amongst the other players, and they become members of Clans. Each player would then take their clan-dwarves out of the communal housing set up by the first player, and into the hills to construct their own clan-hold. Sort of a seperate mini-fort. Each Clan has to pay Tithe to the Nobility, though how corrupt that exchange is will depend on the game in question.

Anyway, thoughts? I know this is something of a rough concept. But I think it sounds fun.
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

9joseph9

• Bay Watcher
  • no poker face whatsoever.
    • View Profile
Re: Clan Fortress Idea?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 09:25:28 pm »

I think the new guild system would also do a lot to help facilitate this. Each clan could be centered around a type of labor. The only problem I see occurring is that this might require a bit of a larger map to play on which might be a problem for people with slower computers. I'm also not sure how different clans would handle conflict, would there be rules for what part of the map a certain clan can build/dig on? What if there's an invasion during somebody's year? Do they handle the defense or do they save the game and pass it to the Nobility Player for the duration of the siege?

Otherwise I think this is a fantastic idea and would love to participate if this gets off the ground.
It is by my will alone I set my dwarves into motion

Trabber Shir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 08:37:59 pm »

Please keep this tread updated with details as they are finalized. I have a lot of the same questions as 9joseph9 but also a more general "this sounds complicated and I can't come up with all the questions I need to ask" problem. Count me interested but a bit leery.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 10:00:58 pm »

I'm always in favor of hashing out succession ideas.  Couple issues off the top of my head; Restricting Dorfs to their respective areas & managing skills per group will become nigh impossible with a large population.  What you could do is have each Overseer choose a clan, and when that player's turn arrives, he is tasked with only doing certain things to promote that group's interest, be it gem-studded beds for everybody, a new floor of stone crafting workshops, etc.

Instead of each Overseer doing whatever they want, you'd be assigning guidelines to direct their efforts.  Constructivory did something similar, requiring every Overseer to build vertically and not directly mess with other player's stuff.  Forumites who are named in the game but not playing could similarly swear allegiance to a clan and have their labors restricted.  I could see !FUN! times when players inevitably clash; the Mason's Guild players refuse to build more rock pots b/c they're mad that the Fisher Dwarf Guild has 30 members.

9joseph9

• Bay Watcher
  • no poker face whatsoever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 08:34:01 pm »

If people are down for a more long-form fortress, we could go for a max number of dwarves per clan before we stop allowing immigration and then just let the populations grow through child birth.

I think it'd be interesting to build a sort of honeymoon hotel for inter-clan marriages where we essentially isolate the prospective couple until they wed and bed before sending them to which ever clan the agreement stipulates.

I also think it might be cool to go for a more democratic approach rather than having a single Nobility clan, with the weight one's vote carries being directly tied to their clan's population.
It is by my will alone I set my dwarves into motion